join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

3 edits

8 recommendations

antiserious

Premium Member

[POLL] Preferred DVD Copying - 2006

Multiple Choice Poll
What program(s)do you use to make back-up copies of your DVDs?

1Click DVD Copy

123 Copy DVD

AnyDVD(Slysoft)

Apple Backup(.mac)

Apollo DVD Copy

CloneDVD(DVD X Studios)

CloneDVD(Elaborate Bytes)

CloneDVD 2(Slysoft)

DragonBurn(Mac)

DVDCloner III

DVD2One (PC)

DVD2OneX (Mac)

DVD Copy 4(InterVideo)

DVD Decrypter

DVDFab(Platinum/Express/Gold)

DVDFab Decrypter (Free)

DVDRemaster(Mac)

DVD Shrink

DVD to DVD Copy

DVD Wizard Pro

DVD X Copy(Platinum/Gold/Xpress-current users only)

EasyDVD Copy™ 2 (Roxio)

EZ DVD Copy

Fast DVD Copy (Mac)

HandBrake (Mac/'Nix?)

ICopyDvds2

InstantDVD Recorder (Pinnacle)

K3b('Nix)

K9Copy('Nix)

Lxdvdrip('Nix)

MacTheRipper(Mac)

Nero Recode

Roxio Popcorn 2(Mac)

Roxio Toast(Mac)

Ulead Burn Now

XCopy9

XDVDShrink('Nix)

I use one or more programs to rip/process then burn with another(please specify in thread)

I use a program not listed(please specify in thread)

What's a DVD?

Participants:317

Time again to update the FAQ with our Member Choices for DVD Copying. There are myriad options in this area (some free, most not) and several ways to approach creating a backup copy of a DVD. Some people use a 'one-click' solution for this work, but not all the 'one-click' programs will back-up copy-protected discs. Others (like myself) prefer to use more than one program to complete the process. Since we now have the option of multiple-choice polls I've attempted to allow input for both solutions in the poll. For comparison purposes, HERE'S last year's poll (with a big thank you to RangerTx for a job well done). I'd also like to thank the good folks at the All things Unix and All things Macintosh forums for their input on programs for those operating systems.

It should be noted here that WE ARE NOT ADVOCATING PIRACY - the assumption is that you have a legal copy of the DVD in question and wish to archive a copy to protect the original from wear and tear, damage and loss.

{Note #2: I've provided links to the products in the poll for information purposes, and I believe they all work as intended, but I have not verified the integrity of any downloads or trials regarding adware, etc - so use due diligence if you choose to examine any of the programs mentioned. We are not endorsing any software, we're simply reporting survey results from our members.}

I encourage you to vote for your favorites and offer further insight/comments by posting in the thread.

... Thank You for your time and input !! ...

Darek
Premium Member
join:2000-12-04
Chicago, IL

Darek

Premium Member

I use different programs only because of existing different inputs (DVD sources - kind of medium, coding) and my goal ( output as DVD, VCD or even CD):

-> DVDFab Decrypter 2.9.7.7
-> DVD Shrink 3.2
-> DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0
-> Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.2.0.134
-> Sonic MyDVD 5.3.0.0
-> Nero Burning Rom 5.5.10.56

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

dadkins to antiserious

MVM

to antiserious
Geez! Where to start... LOL!

Intervideo DVD Copy 4(primary)
1Click DVD
Sony Click to DVD 2
Sony Vegas
Drag'N Drop CD/DVD
*ALL* Slysoft products
Apollo DVD Copy
ARC DVD Copy
Nero
Xilisoft DVD Ripper
BlindWrite

List goes on... If one fails, the others are there for "backup".

Let's just say I can copy anything that fits in the drive.

Great Poll BTW antiserious!
jrosw
Premium Member
join:2004-04-17
Scottsburg, IN

1 edit

2 recommendations

jrosw to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
I use a combination approach for insuring my DVD collection. It does not involve any commercial tools.

For standard DVDs, DVD Decrypter is the obvious choice. Followed up with a DVD Shrink to do whole disc backup (shrinking the extras as much as possible) to DVD folder. Both these are linked above.

For those who seek to prevent me from creating an insurance copy of my purchased movies by screwing with the discs, I still use DVD Decrypter, but with a handy tool called PgcEdit. PgcEdit is not a DVD copier per se, but a "swiss army knife" of DVD tools. You can get a plugin (called the PSL2 Plugin) that will take care of any difficult discs, and clean up any junk that those "protections" leave behind. With this combo, I have yet to purchase a disc I could not back up.

The PgcEdit Home Page can be found here if you want to take a look. Or, you can get a nice installer for PgcEdit and the PSL2 plugin for dealing with copy protections via this forum post on Digital Digest.

Using the method shown in this short guide I have yet to come across a disc I could not copy (other than the occasional scratched disc of course). A more complete guide can be found here.

I cannot comment on the commercial products. While they may do the same thing in just a few mouse clicks, this method is not that much more difficult and involves no commercial tools. It has served me quite well.

Also a note about burning. I use PgcEdit to create my DVD images (.ISO) and then ImgBurn to burn them to DVD. ImgBurn is created by LIGHTNING UK!, the author of DVD Decrypter. A guide to doing that can be found here. The reason I use this method instead of just using other burning/authoring tools can be found here. Note that this talks about Nero, but it applies to other programs as well.

While the programs involved in this method may seem a bit daunting at first glance, you can really disregard most of the interface of PgcEdit and get a disc done quite quickly.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan to antiserious

MVM

to antiserious
Excellent poll!

I used to just use DVD Shrink combined with DVD Decrypter if needed. Lately I have had some Sony DVDs that neither would copy, so I used DVDFab Decrypter (free) which handled the Sony encryption. After decrypting, I still needed to shrink with DVD Shrink. I'm thinking of springing for one of those cool double sided DVD burners.

Actual burning is with Nero 6.6.0.18

vice8686
join:2000-10-13
Lancaster, CA

vice8686 to antiserious

to antiserious
Okay, here it goes:)

*DVDFab Gold (Current Update)
*DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15
*Pinnacle InstantCD+DVD 8.0
*Nero Ultra Edition 7.0.5.4.

All work smoothly.
nowhere9
join:2005-03-26

nowhere9 to antiserious

to antiserious
hi everyone...
quite interesting thread,want to share with u Soft i'm using
here is Acronis True Image missing...
perhaps cause of
The Image burning on DVD feature has been added lately.
and so long i'm pleased with it.

howie1
Premium Member
join:2003-04-08
Antarctica

1 recommendation

howie1

Premium Member

said by nowhere9:

hi everyone...
quite interesting thread,want to share with u Soft i'm using
here is Acronis True Image missing...
perhaps cause of
The Image burning on DVD feature has been added lately.
and so long i'm pleased with it.
Acronis DVD Copy? Haven't seen that one yet...

I personally use ArcDVD Copy (not listed). Small, fast and does a great job!
The newest version (1.2.9) does not remove CSS protection and requires the use of third-party programs such as AnyDVD to accomplish this. (I use 1.2.8 which does not require AnyDVD).
»www.arcdvdcopy.com/

crossedeyed
Troublemaker
join:2004-07-30
Malvern, AR

crossedeyed

I use Intervideo DVD Copy with Any dvd. Then also play with Clone dvd, decrypter and shrink. Burn all with Nero

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
Nice topic being as I may need one soon.
lefty1
join:2002-10-25
Clay, NY

lefty1 to antiserious

to antiserious
AnyDVD does what it's name says. It will copy any DVD movie I get my hands on. I use MusicMatch to do most of my cd ripping. I burn everything with Nero.
tparker1
join:2004-09-29
Winston Salem, NC

tparker1 to jmorlan

to jmorlan
Crescit Eundo:If going for a Duallayer the discs for them are still too expensive but those are the one's to Buy.

All DVD Burners are not created equal.Pioneer and Plextor are the only two I would recommend buying.The Pioneer model can be found a little cheaper than the Plextor I have the DVR-109 which has never burned a coaster.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
I use AnyDVD to rip/decrypt DVDs. Thankfully, several latest versions added an option to rip the entire thing to the hard drive instead of doing it on the fly. I then load the stuff up into DVD Rebuilder Pro, and I have it set up to use Canopus ProCoder 2 as an encoder. I then use UltraISO to create an image from the resulting output, and use ImgBurn to burn that image.

While this method does take longer than most of the transcoders out there (such as CloneDVD), the quality of the copy is far much higher.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,

AMDUSER to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
AnyDVD and Clone DVD2 here.
Antaeogo
join:2002-07-13
Columbus, GA

1 edit

Antaeogo to antiserious

to antiserious
No mention of DVD43, free alternative to AnyDVD (?), if the poll creator wants to add it.

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

antiserious

Premium Member

... I wanted to take a moment to thank lilhurricane - without her help this poll would not have worked ... she's good people ...

... and based on all the wrestling we did with this thang, I'm not going to risk adding any selections, sorry - but feel free to add your thoughts in the thread, we encourage audience participation ...

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium Member
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum

Kosh to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
DVD43 is ok, but it doesn't get updated as much as AnyDVD. Also don't try to run both of them at the same time, you will have problems. I learned that by experience.

On my end it's AnyDVD + DVD Shrink for a quick and dirty backup.

howie1
Premium Member
join:2003-04-08
Antarctica

howie1 to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
I just thought that I'd add for those new to DVD copying to be sure to eliminate as much of the unnecessary "stuff", such as trailers, "special features", additional audio tracks or anything else that adds to the size of your final copied movie before burning. Most commercial DVD's are 8 GB or more and normally only about half of this is the actual movie. If you copy just the main movie, little, if any, re-encoding is necessary and you'll be assured of an excellent copy, no matter which software you use. In some cases, no re-encoding at all will be necessary and you'll get a perfect 1:1 copy of your DVD. Naturally, the use of dual-layer 8.5GB blank media will also result in perfect copies.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
DVDXcopy Platinum... works with all "Interfering with fair use" devices... And is really easy/straight forward to use.
RJ44
join:2001-10-19
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

RJ44 to antiserious

to antiserious
DVD Decrypter as necessary
DVD Shrink as necessary
Nero Recode (mostly) to burn it

kfsutops
Premium Member
join:2002-08-19
Lutz, FL

kfsutops to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
DVD Decrypter and Shrink on the PC side.

Mac the Ripper and Toast on the Mac.

Try that DVDFab thing and it didn't work for me, so I went back to Decrypter and Shrink.

eagle92
Premium Member
join:2000-08-03
La Habra, CA

1 edit

eagle92 to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
double post
eagle92

eagle92 to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
AnyDVD + DVD Shrink and cdcovers.cc for labels

nu2this
NOT
Premium Member
join:2005-04-07
Hallandale, FL

nu2this to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
toast 7

xNPC
As Usual, Have Nice Day
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Errington, BC
·Shaw
ARRIS TG3482

xNPC to RJ44

Premium Member

to RJ44
said by RJ44:

DVD Decrypter as necessary
DVD Shrink as necessary
Nero Recode (mostly) to burn it
yeah. what he said
jdemoran74
Premium Member
join:2004-08-25
Land O Lakes, FL

1 edit

jdemoran74 to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
AnyDVD for copy protection
DVD Decrypter to rip and burn final dvd
DVD Shrink if I want to strip out anything
DVD Rebuilder Pro(using the Cinema Craft Encoder) to encode

--
John

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
AnyDVD + CloneDVD2

johnny_t
Premium Member
join:2004-03-21
Palo Alto, CA

johnny_t

Premium Member

AnyDVD
DVD Shrink
Nero 6 Ultra

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
I voted for AnyDvD,CloneDVD,Nero Express 6.6. I also use PowerProducer Gold, PowerDVD Copy.

penguins4evr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17

penguins4evr to antiserious

Premium Member

to antiserious
•DVDFab Decrypter Free (on occasion use DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink; just now trying out AnyDVD)
DVD Rebuilder Pro using the Cinema Craft Encoder Basic for processing
•Nero 6.6.1.4 for burning