Hercules, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

dadkins to CMCSAnews

MVM

to CMCSAnews

Re: [News] PowerBoost

Click for full size
Hmmm... probably just a fluke, but it sure looks cool!
noebl1
join:2003-01-03
MA, USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

noebl1

LOL, I wouldn't complain! I wonder if they are increasing their bandwidth, as I've been noticing that I had plataeued a bit, but now averaging higher. I would peak get 30mb/s bursts on a download, but speed tests typically reported 15 - 17mb/s (even after pulling out my Linksys router.) Past couple of days, even right now during the day, I am getting a cosistant 20mb/s+ on the speed tests.
It's either that or one of my neighbors is gone

Download Speed: 21732 kbps (2716.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 718 kbps (89.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

-Mike

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

pokesph to CMCSAnews

Premium Member

to CMCSAnews
maybe it's hit and miss.. I just ran another bunch of tests and my speeds were around 5450 - 7500 down... where as earlier I was peaking at 24Mbps.. hmm..
thebulldan
join:2005-06-13
Bridgeport, PA

thebulldan to CMCSAnews

to CMCSAnews

Nothing in Philly Yet

Download Speed: 6256 kbps (782 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 355 kbps (44.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Strange, you would think that a company who has its home offices in Philadelphia would implement this in their home market at least some time in the beginning.

Go figure.

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84 to LarryE

to LarryE

»distrowatch.com/
A dvd iso of fedora is 3gigs, but you will probably need a download accelerator to max it out.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

4 edits

Anonymous_ to YeOldeStonecat

Premium Member

to YeOldeStonecat
upload is Craptastic
mattford11
join:2005-03-29
Roseville, CA

mattford11

No luck here in Roseville.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 6031 kbps (753.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 273 kbps (34.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Did you guys in CA have to powercycle your modems?

Fluker
join:2005-04-07
West Lafayette, IN

1 recommendation

Fluker to CMCSAnews

to CMCSAnews
I live in NW indiana and have noticed the burst for a few days. It is strange because sometimes it seems to climb linearly and then cut me down to 800kb a sec. I have seen peaks as high as 6mBYTES a sec (48Mb!) on some servers!

I would not doubt that some local caching is in the works but who cares, this is freakin cool when it works.

My only reservation....FIX MY UPLOAD PLEASE!!!!

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to mattford11

MVM

to mattford11
said by mattford11:

No luck here in Roseville.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 6031 kbps (753.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 273 kbps (34.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Did you guys in CA have to powercycle your modems?
My modem hasn't even been reset or hiccupped since the 12th... it's pretty much hit or miss.

The 33000kbps above screen shot of mine had to be a fluke, but I do regularly hit 17-19.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 19124 kbps (2390.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 664 kbps (83 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'll take it!

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

graycorgi to thebulldan

Premium Member

to thebulldan

Re: Nothing in Philly Yet

Heh. COX in GA (Atlanta is their main office) still on 4mbps premier, 9mbps premium- San Diego ands lots of the US are 6mbps premier, and in VA for at least a half year now it's 5mbps and 15mbps if I remember right.

Their home area means nothing to the company's, money does.
bchris02
join:2006-05-25

bchris02 to CMCSAnews

to CMCSAnews

I wish Cox would do this. Its really a great idea, give people the speed for legal traditional downloads, but cut it back for p2p, bittorrent, and other illegal file sharing which consumes the most bandwidth.

theelviscerator
join:2000-11-16
Elkhart, IN

theelviscerator to LarryE

to LarryE
I got 2.05 mb a sec on that dl myself...not instant thats for sure but still fast..
Tom514
Premium Member
join:2002-01-15
Verona, NJ

Tom514 to CMCSAnews

Premium Member

to CMCSAnews
Click for full size
It appears that Powerboost has hit Northern NJ.
thebulldan
join:2005-06-13
Bridgeport, PA

thebulldan to bchris02

to bchris02
P2P and BT are not necessarily illegal. Please do not generalize. FTP / HTTP downloads can be just as "illegal".
Ryan24480
join:2004-12-18
Rio Grande, NJ

Ryan24480 to CMCSAnews

to CMCSAnews
looks like south jersey has it also
Last Result:
Download Speed: 19393 kbps (2424.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 713 kbps (89.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to CMCSAnews

to CMCSAnews

PowerBoost under the hood

How is PowerBoost technically implimented, no white papers, no flow charts? What version of DOCSIS is it? How is it set up under the hood? Is it even DOCSIS? Why do DOCSIS cable modems work with it? How is the 62mbit speed burst in the other thread achived if DOCSIS is limited to 40mbit (qam256)? Does DOCSIS 2 do channel bonding? If there is special QOS, what are all the different QOS levels and purposes used for in Comcast's network? Anyone looked at their modem's config files yet? (I am not by location, and never have been a comcast subscriber).

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 edit

Johkal

MVM

I can answer some of your questions:

1)How is PowerBoost technically implemented?
Best answered here: »[News] PowerBoost

2)What version of DOCSIS is it?
Presently Comcast is DOCSIS 1.1

3)How is it set up under the hood?
N/A

4)Is it even DOCSIS?
It has to be compatible with a DOCSIS network.

5)Why do DOCSIS cable modems work with it?
N/A

6)How is the 62mbit speed burst in the other thread achieved if DOCSIS is limited to 40mbit (qam256)?
N/A

7)Does DOCSIS 2 do channel bonding?
No; DOCSIS 3.0 uses channel bonding.

8)If there is special QOS?
N/A

9)What are all the different QOS levels and purposes used for in Comcast's network?
N/A

10)Anyone looked at their modem's config files yet?
The Config files do not change.

Maybe some other people can answer the ones I did not.
Junior2377
join:2002-01-07
Piscataway, NJ

1 edit

Junior2377

well, i see north NJ and south NJ.... but i'm in central and i have yet to see the powerboost....

zip 07076 scotch plains
xbbdc
join:2005-06-30
Hollywood, FL

xbbdc to CMCSAnews

to CMCSAnews

now powerboost in miami, fl either yet... zip 33018
NoOneButMe
join:2001-08-24
TX

NoOneButMe to CMCSAnews

to CMCSAnews
i dont get why everyone is goin crazy over this heh its a temp burst thay havent realy changed anythang i was getting the funny burst thang for a year are more blah LOL

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream to Johkal

MVM

to Johkal

Re: PowerBoost under the hood

5)Why do DOCSIS cable modems work with it?
Because its DOCSIS compliant

6)How is the 62mbit speed burst in the other thread achieved if DOCSIS is limited to 40mbit (qam256)?
Many speedtests are inaccurate with certain levels of bursting. Also ever download a file but wait a minute before you select a place to save it? IE can cache a file while you are picking the save directory. Then when you click ok, it 'catches up' and shows some insane transfer rates.

7)Does DOCSIS 2 do channel bonding?
DOCSIS 2.0b can bond up to 2 downstream channels. DOCSIS 3.0 will be able to bond more. Most likely 2 to 16 channels.

8)If there is special QOS?
All the QOS is based in the CMTS. The software overlay for the CMTS is provided by CAMIANT but fully customized by Comcast ( »www.camiant.com ) Its using PCMM (PacketCable Multi-Media) Technology »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pa ··· ketCable

9)What are all the different QOS levels and purposes used for in Comcast's network?
6mbps is supposed to burst till 12mbps. 8mbps package is supposed to burst to 16mbps. While Comcast fine tunes these rates we will see some uneven or crazy burst speeds.
madrhino
join:2004-07-03

madrhino to NoOneButMe

to NoOneButMe

said by NoOneButMe:

i dont get why everyone is goin crazy over this heh its a temp burst
People are responding the way CC wants.By offering this pointless "feature" they can maintain the appearance of trying to compete with FIOS,which they apparantly can't or won't do.
Anyway,this is what Powerboost does for me.I have 8/384.When I start a download it jumps to about 12MBS for the first 20-30 MB.Thats it.Thats ALL it does.
It's nothing but a smokescreen.
That said I am a recent DSL convert and would never go back unless it was all that was available.I can get FIOS but so far the Comcast 8/384 does all I need.Of course you can never have to much speed,so come on Comcast.

hello123454
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02

hello123454 to CMCSAnews

Premium Member

to CMCSAnews
PowerBoost has hit New Castle County, Delaware...Zip 19808...
dscline
join:2001-09-01
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

dscline to madrhino

to madrhino
said by madrhino:

said by NoOneButMe:

People are responding the way CC wants.By offering this pointless "feature" they can maintain the appearance of trying to compete with FIOS,which they apparantly can't or won't do.
Anyway,this is what Powerboost does for me.I have 8/384.When I start a download it jumps to about 12MBS for the first 20-30 MB.Thats it.Thats ALL it does.
It's nothing but a smokescreen.
Clearly you are looking at it solely from your perspective. For a heavy user, where the first 20-30MB is a very small fraction of the total data they download, boosting is nothing to get excited about. But a much more casual user, who rarely downloads files bigger than that, a real world speed increase can be realized. Comcast would probably wouldn't mind getting rid of the most hard core users anyway... it's the light duty users who pay a premium to get their email and web pages quickly that use little of their network bandwidth are the ones that are most profitable to them. Anything they can do to be more attractive to that group without letting the power users use even more bandwidth is going to look good in their eyes.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by dscline:

For a heavy user, where the first 20-30MB is a very small fraction of the total data they download, boosting is nothing to get excited about. But a much more casual user, who rarely downloads files bigger than that, a real world speed increase can be realized. Comcast would probably wouldn't mind getting rid of the most hard core users anyway... it's the light duty users who pay a premium to get their email and web pages quickly that use little of their network bandwidth are the ones that are most profitable to them. Anything they can do to be more attractive to that group without letting the power users use even more bandwidth is going to look good in their eyes.
You hit the nail on the head with that analysis.

P.S.> the powerboost config file was installed on my cable modem when I power cycled it in South Jersey.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000 to CMCSAnews

Premium Member

to CMCSAnews
i have the scientific atlanta dpc 2100 modem-how do i find out if the config file was installed on it?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by fonzbear2000:

i have the scientific atlanta dpc 2100 modem-how do i find out if the config file was installed on it?
I just ran a speed test and watched the download speed burst above my paid for rate of 6mbps to about 11 mbps using a monitoring tool called netpersec.
madrhino
join:2004-07-03

2 edits

madrhino to dscline

to dscline
said by dscline:

said by madrhino:

said by NoOneButMe:

. But a much more casual user, who rarely downloads files bigger than that, a real world speed increase can be realized.

Point taken but it seems to me that kind of increase is pointless from a practical standpoint.Maybe it has PR value but your 20meg file is still going to be downloaded faster than you will be able to get ready to do something with it.I mean if you click on something and it downloads in 2 seconds instead of 4 you've doubled your DL speed for that file.But what did you do with the 2 seconds you saved?Nothing but stare at the screen and go"Wow,that was fast!"
Like I said-pointless from a practical standpoint.Smoke.

hello123454
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02

1 recommendation

hello123454 to CMCSAnews

Premium Member

to CMCSAnews
Yeah...it's definitely here.
dscline
join:2001-09-01
Atlanta, GA

dscline to madrhino

to madrhino
said by madrhino:

I mean if you click on something and it downloads in 2 seconds instead of 4 you've doubled your DL speed for that file.But what did you do with the 2 seconds you saved?Nothing but stare at the screen and go"Wow,that was fast!"
Yes, it's just an issue with where you draw the line. Obviously a 4MB file (which would equate roughly to a 4sec download on the 8Mbit tier) isn't saving a lot of time. But if a 30MB file really is roughly where that line is drawn, we're talking 15 sec vs. 30 sec... which is certainly noticeable. The mainstream customers aren't going to download files larger than 30MB very often, so you can take your same logic and say "if the rare very large file is only going to be slower on speedbooster vs. a 'flat' speed increase once a month or so, what's the big deal?". When you think about the customers who regularly download files bigger than 30MB, we're probably talking about a MUCH smaller group that uses up a MUCH larger percentage of Comcast's bandwidth. As Comcast has proven before, they aren't interested in those customers. They have shut them off without notice. So you can bet they probably aren't going to lose much sleep over their latest "product" not looking as attractive to that group.