swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 edit

swintec

Premium Member

[Info] DLL Viewer/Editor

I'm a little confused on how to ask this question but I assume there is something out there that does this. Is there a program that can show the contents of a DLL file? Possibly edit the contents? The way I understand a DLL file to work is it is a small set of instructions or links for the program to run off of, hence "Dynamic Loaded Library." Like I said, I want to be able to see the contents of a specific DLL and edit it if need be. Thanks for the help.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO

Premium Member

Try ResHacker - Free Download Resource Hacker 3.4.0 - A freeware utility to view, modify, add, delete and extract resources in 32bit Windows executables.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Thanks for the reply. The program you posted works as it should. I guess I misunderstood what I wanted to do. The program itself is an old shareware program written in .net. There was some changes made to the way it will run and I had to make a small change to it, and I figured this setting would be somewhere in one of the DLL files. I had pictured in my mind that if I opened a DLL in an editor it would give me this whole "mini-program" and I could edit it to my liking. It seems this program just gives a few details with little that can be changed. Hmmmm...

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

PetePuma

MVM

A DLL is (with a few exceptions) compiled code like an EXE. Nothing in it to edit.

You can use some resource editors (as suggested) to alter resources (images, icons, etc.) within DLLs and EXEs, but as far as the code segments go, you need the sourcecode and a compiler to recompile the DLLs.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
They call this art - hacking or reverse engineering. In order to do so you have to possess a good knowledge about how programs work, how to interpret assembler instructions (low level programming language), and have a good experience in debugging programs. If you already have all of that and ready to spend a lot of time - then go for it . Let us know particular questions...

OT: PetePuma See Profile - where is your "W"?

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

PetePuma

MVM

said by OZO:

On his way back to Texas, but not soon enough.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
said by OZO:

They call this art - hacking or reverse engineering. In order to do so you have to possess a good knowledge about how programs work, how to interpret assembler instructions (low level programming language), and have a good experience in debugging programs. If you already have all of that and ready to spend a lot of time - then go for it . Let us know particular questions...

So is this what they call "hex editing"? So like I said, the program was written in .NET . While I do have C++ and Java experience, from an initial look, the differences between these and .NET are quite apparent. In my mind it is such a simple fix. The program is set to go out to the internet to interact with a specific server, this server address is hard coded into the program. The server has been changed, and in my mind it seemed so simple to just go in and delete the old server and put the new one in. This is starting to sound like an all to complicated process. Ahh well. Thanks for the help.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

In this particular case "hex editing" may work.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by OZO:

In this particular case "hex editing" may work.
Whats the best hex editor, paid or otherwise. I have heard of some talk about hex editing and mention the program they use, but the name of it escapes me right now.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

Anything here?

»Software Forum Member Choice »(Archived) Preferred Hex-Text Editor - 2005 Member Choice