Search similar:

uniqs

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

Old Toshiba Laptop - Yet Another Problem!

I put XP Home on this old Toshiba Satellite 2140XCDS.
It almost works, but I am frequently getting a shutdown message from Windows, and an error message in Event Viewer I just can't fix or figure out.

The Event Viewer error is:
Source ACPI
Event ID 5
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x4d0) which lies in the 0x4d0 - 0x4d1 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

I have 2 choices in the BIOS- write back & write through. Doesn't matter which one I set, nothing changes.

The shutdown message is:
Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Error:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I'm clueless at this point. The machine was given to me with 98SE on it, and I was only told that "there's something wrong with it". I've had some problems installing XP on it, and enabling the L2 cache, but those problems are worked out now. It's REAL CLOSE to working fine! If anybody could offer advice or thoughts on this, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Have you flashed the BIOS to the most recent version?

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by Sweet Witch:

Have you flashed the BIOS to the most recent version?
Yes ma'am, I have. Unfortunately, the "most recent version" is from '99 or 2000! I have the impression they weren't expecting me to put XP on it, but I'm bound and determined to show 'em what for!!

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

1 recommendation

Sweet Witch to AB57

MVM

to AB57
Every google hit I got said that's the problem, so I don't know what else to suggest .

huntermcdole
Premium Member
join:2005-08-01
Oxnard, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

huntermcdole to AB57

Premium Member

to AB57
Try disabling onboard USB

from »www.eventid.net/display. ··· &phase=1
Don't have an account so I can see anymore than that page.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
Thanks anyway, S.W.
What do you think about this-- install different video drivers. I have the latest ones from the Toshiba site, but the native XP ones are newer. And there could possibly be a BIOS setting for something that I just don't have right. I've tried about a million different combos, to where I'm not sure which way is up anymore. Or if it's something that just plain needs to be fixed. Like I say, it was given to me with "something wrong with it". I've run disk fixer & done as much diagnostic stuff as I know how. Can you make head or tail of those error messages?
AB57

AB57 to huntermcdole

Premium Member

to huntermcdole
Thank you Mr. McDole!! As your attorney, I can advise you that this information is quite enlightening! USB 1.1 only on this bad boy, and old BIOS. May not work, but I'm sure gonna have a shot. Thank you sir!
AB57

AB57 to huntermcdole

Premium Member

to huntermcdole
I disabled the "USB Legacy Emulation". Didn't notice any other USB settings right off the bat. Is that it, or are there likely to be others? An IRQ port or something that needs to go? Thanks, Hunter!

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

1 recommendation

Tursiops_G to AB57

MVM

to AB57
Yeesh... This is Not looking good...

Here's what I found on MS's Knowledge Base about that error:
»support.microsoft.com/de ··· ;Q283649

This appears to be a Possible BIOS Incompatibility Issue with WinXP... I'm afraid that you may ultimately have no choice other than downgrading to Windows 2000 Pro, or waiting until Toshiba issues a new BIOS Update for the 2140XCDS in order to properly support XP...

Windows 2000 Pro (w/Service Pack 3 or 4) *IS* Supported on the 2140XCDS, according to Toshiba (I'm using Toshiba's UK site, because their US site is the Pits. ):
»uk.computers.toshiba-eur ··· 000028a4

-Tursiops_G.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

Thanks, Tursiops_G, excellent link! You may have been right all along. Forget the XP, go with 2000. Oh well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. We'll take this USB out of the mix while I restart & let it operate a couple of times, but if those errors don't change, then I guess it's forward into the past we go.
I want to thank you very much for all of the assistance you have been to me on this, and that goes for you too, Sweet Witch and Hunter!
I'm starting to not like the smell of this myself, but we gave it our best shot, didn't we? I'm not giving up quite yet, but there seems to be no reason to trouble you good folks over this any longer. I've certainly been given the information I need at this point. Again, thanks a lot!
May the Sun rise to greet you, and may the wind be eternally at your backs!
AB57

AB57 to huntermcdole

Premium Member

to huntermcdole
Well, HELLO!!!! Guess what error message just went away in Event Viewer at the last re-boot?? YeeeeeHAAAAA!!!!! Looks like you may have nailed it, Hunter!! I'll be holding my breath for awhile, but that's a VERY good sign! Thanks again! And one more big Thank You to Sweet Witch and Tursiops_G as well!! The three of you, and all who assisted me in these three threads have my undying gratitude. Have a terrific evening, everyone!

huntermcdole
Premium Member
join:2005-08-01
Oxnard, CA

1 edit

huntermcdole

Premium Member

Is it still Blue Screening?

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by huntermcdole:

Is it still rebooting automatically?
Never did. I'll be holding my breath for now though, that's for sure. If it happens again, well, so be it. But not seeing that error in Event Viewer has truly brightened my day! Thanks again!