uniqs

Justakiwi
Premium Member
join:2004-11-24
New Zealand

Justakiwi

Premium Member

[BOINC] Back up projects

I might be having a brain freeze moment here, but is there any way you can set BOINC up to only crunch a second project when the primary project has run out of work?

For instance - if I crunch project A fulltime, but have project B attached and ready to download work, can I set it up so that if project A runs out of work ( as in a Berk day) project B will automatically kick in (but otherwise not run)?

Xaak
You'll find me at T S W B.org
Premium Member
join:2002-06-19

Xaak

Premium Member

I do this with einstein. I set up Seti to 100%, and einstein to .01%. After you first attach, you'll get a bunch of wus, but after that Einstein will only pull down wus when Seti is out. I guess it eventually might give the einstein it's .01%, but I haven't seen that happen yet.

Justakiwi
Premium Member
join:2004-11-24
New Zealand

Justakiwi

Premium Member

said by Xaak:

I do this with einstein. I set up Seti to 100%, and einstein to .01%. After you first attach, you'll get a bunch of wus, but after that Einstein will only pull down wus when Seti is out. I guess it eventually might give the einstein it's .01%, but I haven't seen that happen yet.
mmmm ....

But there is no way to set different BOINC preferences for different machines (both home machines) so if I did that for this machine, it would affect the resource allocation for the other machine, which I don't want to alter - wouldn't it?

I guess I could just call one machine a "work" machine even though it's not, and set different preferences that way ....

Xaak
You'll find me at T S W B.org
Premium Member
join:2002-06-19

Xaak

Premium Member

You answered your own question.

I use 4 different profiles myself. Default, home, work, and school. I don't go to school and I work from home .

I use each profile for different things, and you can do both BOINC level profile (days cache, etc), and project level profiles. That works just fine for me.