Search similar:

uniqs

aberrant
Deviant One
join:2002-01-10
San Francisco, CA

aberrant

perhaps silly question re: unbundled DSL w/ DSLX

I've been a pretty happy DSLX user for a couple years now. My understanding is that I have to pay for SBC/AT&T local service just to get DSL.

Is this correct? What I'd really like to do is tell SBC/AT&T to go take a hike, and use VoIP with DSLX. Right now, there's an effective premium of $22 per month for DSL via SBC/AT&T due to the voice line charges.

Thanks,

Aberrant

dslx_gm
ISP Employee
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA

1 recommendation

dslx_gm

ISP Employee

SBC/AT&T doesn't offer unbundled service at this time. Based on recent laws they will be required to offer it by the end of the year. We will be able to offer it at that time.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 edit

djrobx to aberrant

Premium Member

to aberrant
According to threads around this place, AT&T is beginning dry DSL on June 13.
walken
join:2005-03-19
Cupertino, CA

walken

I'd be very happy to get rid of my phone line.

Glad to hear it's coming.

aberrant
Deviant One
San Francisco, CA

aberrant

Thanks for the responses. Just what I was looking for!

wicked_wifi
Are You Wifi Compatible
Premium Member
join:2003-11-04
Cooleemee, NC

wicked_wifi to aberrant

Premium Member

to aberrant
Hmmm, looks intresting to me I would save 11.15 a month with naked dsl. I have the bare minimum from ATT.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 edit

djrobx to aberrant

Premium Member

to aberrant
The question is, how much of a "wire maintenance fee" will SBC/ATT charge for dry DSL? Comcast charges an extra $15/month for cablemodem service without cable TV. It wouldn't surprise me if SBC follows their lead.

-- Rob
succotash7
Premium Member
join:2002-12-14
Monterey Park, CA

succotash7

Premium Member

said by djrobx:

The question is, how much of a "wire maintenance fee" will SBC/ATT charge for dry DSL? Comcast charges an extra $15/month for cablemodem service without cable TV. It wouldn't surprise me if SBC follows their lead.
Yeah, if you look at Speakeasy or Lightning Bolt DSL prices, there is a premium for dry (unbundled) DSL over shared-line DSL. I'd be really surprised if SBC doesn't do the same thing.

aberrant
Deviant One
San Francisco, CA

aberrant

DSLX, any word? Looks like at least one ISP is doing this, even though the pricing isn't competitive.