uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vericima
Beautiful But Deadly
Premium
join:2003-01-07
Manchester, CT

[CPDN] Anyone else having this problem?

I seem to be having a freezing problem when the screen saver either kicks on or I move the mouse to kick it off. It freezes the comp and makes it emit a sound loop. I'm running XP SP2, AMD64 3200+ with 2GB of RAM, ATI 9700+ newest drivers.

Anyone else having this problem?

TSWB.org
Premium,ExMod 2000-04
join:2000-07-11
Winnipeg, MB
Are you running the latest version of BOINC?

Vericima
Beautiful But Deadly
Premium
Manchester, CT
5.4.9 right? Or did they come out with a new one already?

TSWB.org
Premium,ExMod 2000-04
Winnipeg, MB
OK, that is the latest. I haven't personally run the screensaver with it. Have you taken a look through their message boards to see if there is a similar problem experienced by anyone else? »climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnb···ndex.php
--
Join BroadbandReports.com's SETI@Home Team
Don't let your computer's idle time go to waste!

Vericima
Beautiful But Deadly
Premium
Manchester, CT
I looked through the forums there, and nothing that specifically relates to my problem. The answer to anything screensaver related seems to be just to turn it off, but I don't want to do that because I like the screensavers on all the other projects I run. Does anyone know of a way to disable it on one project alone? Like default to the bouncing BOINC icon?

TSWB.org
Premium,ExMod 2000-04
Winnipeg, MB
said by Vericima:

Does anyone know of a way to disable it on one project alone? Like default to the bouncing BOINC icon?
I had that issue with another project but that was with the last BOINC version and the recommendation was to update BOINC versions. Maybe CPDN has a problem with this version of BOINC? There may be settings of some sort we are missing here.
--
Join BroadbandReports.com's SETI@Home Team
Don't let your computer's idle time go to waste!

TSWB.org
Premium,ExMod 2000-04
Winnipeg, MB
reply to Vericima
Are you running the latest DirectX version on that computer? If not, then update it.

Vericima
Beautiful But Deadly
Premium
Manchester, CT
Yup, latest directx. My video drivers require it. I seem to have fixed it, but its not really a long term fix. I set the frame rate to 0 and the max gfx cpu fraction to 0 and everything I could turn off I did. I'm starting to think it's the rotation that was doing it.

Minvaren
Premium
join:2001-07-26
Houston, TX
reply to Vericima
BOINC screensavers have issues, I've found. I've tried running them on ATI and Intel-based GPUs and both will lock/freeze/randomly crash. Seti and LHC always played mostly-nicely, but CPDN's has caused problem on every machine of mine.

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
join:2000-09-11
reply to Vericima
I keep forgetting these all have screensavers

I really need to check them out for a minute or two.

Vericima
Beautiful But Deadly
Premium
Manchester, CT
reply to Vericima
Well I have detached from this project until they can figure out how to program. I managed to get the screensaver to stop crashing, but the client still crashes. Yes I know a lot of boinc clients crash, but none of them have crashed like this one. When this one crashes, I get the blue screen of death. I'm tired of waking up in the morning to discover that my PC probably didn't do anything all night because its stuck in some feedback loop.

TSWB.org
Premium,ExMod 2000-04
Winnipeg, MB
I can't run CPDN on this box. It doesn't crash but it always errors out after a few days. My other box, and even the old Dell if it wasn't shut down, has no trouble with it though.
--
I BOINC, do you?