Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

briman27
Titans Fan

join:2004-01-25
Stratford, NJ

1 edit

[OT] How warm does it have to be for you to wear shorts?

I wear shorts as long as it's going to be at least 60F for the high. I basically wear shorts April through October. I don't get cold very easily.

charrog
Life In The Golden Isles
Premium
join:2002-03-10
Brunswick, GA

Here in S.E.Georgia I wear them almost year round except for a little bit of Jan and Feb...whenever it is under 45 of course I work inside
--
Pray for our troops!!God Bless the USA!!

ghostpainter
I Write for the Apocalypse
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
kudos:3

Here in California, I wear shorts in the snow, in the summer when I get to hot and even in the rain...I tried wearing shorts in South Dakota one day when it was 18 below but my knees got cold.

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
kudos:1
reply to briman27

ME, shorts ??? about 115C unless I am swimming.

dslwanter
It's coming
Premium
join:2002-12-16
Mineral Ridge, OH
reply to briman27

60 typically starts my short weather.

Axilla
Finger, Finger
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-03-26
Schofield, WI
reply to briman27

I stick my head outside and decide from there.

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA
reply to briman27

about 40F. socks with my birkenstocks unless it's wet out.

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK
reply to briman27

I never wear shorts. In fact, I don't even have any that fit me.
--
ERROR: CRC failed. Your signature has been lost to Cyberspace.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to briman27

Our neighbor's kids in Pocatello, Idaho would wear shorts in sub zero weather, crazy kids lol Those of us in college though dressed warmer

raw
War Eagle
Premium
join:2001-01-17
Madison, AL
reply to briman27

I typically wear shorts when it gets above about 55°F in the spring, but I tend to switch back to pants in the fall at around 60°F.
--
[BBR]raw
America's Army
BBR Enemy Territory clan founder

Corvus
Flaming Tards Since 2003
Premium
join:2003-11-26
reply to briman27

45F (I'm Canadian ), important thing is to keep important areas (feet, throat, hands) warm, legs can freeze and you won't catch cold.
--
The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then gets elected and proves it.--P. J. O'Rourke

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
reply to briman27

I've worn shorts all winter in NY.

HSDpipeline

join:2006-06-06
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to briman27

anything over 55

fire100
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Twin Lake, MI
reply to briman27

I only wear shorts when I go swimming, it has to be at least 80 F for that.
--
Twin Lake Weather

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to briman27

I sort of look at it the other way around.... how cold does it have to get before I put on long pants.

Usually a jacket will come first. As long as the main body is warm doesn't matter so much.

I only have about 3 pair of long pants, which are worn more often for dress than necessity.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

MikegotOOL

join:2001-01-21
East Setauket, NY
reply to briman27

-273 kelvin

raw
War Eagle
Premium
Madison, AL

How the hell have you seen temperatures that cold? :-P

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK

He hasn't, as it is impossible to have a negative Kelvin value.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to briman27

Almost anytime down here, no specific time. This IS Florida after all

MikegotOOL

join:2001-01-21
East Setauket, NY
reply to briman27

"Upon first guess, most people would think that to get below absolute zero, you would need to go from positive to zero then down to negative. However, paradoxically, negative absolute temperatures can only be obtained through infinite temperatures (as the temperature goes to infinity, the ratio gets closer to one, and by inverting the population, the ratio goes above one). Population inversions really do happen in everyday life. They are the basis for lasers, in which the numbers of excited molecules outway those in the ground state. Therefore, lasers share properties with molecules below absolute zero. The concept of negative absolute temperatures has been verified using the magnetic field example.

Ordinary means will not measure negative absolute temperatures. It takes something abstract to measure something abstract. That abstract measuring tool is mathematics. Mathematics takes the world from these abstract viewpoints and uncovers all the hidden mysteries and meanings the universe has to offer."

»library.thinkquest.org/19957/cur···ody.html
--
If they give you ruled paper, write the other way. -Juan Ramon Jimenez Lightpath introduces the Goldenrebever;)(Seti is dead, Project Phoenix is alive now, Big Brother is watching)

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK

If it's required to have something set as "infinite" to get an equation to work, then it is arguably not possible to happen in our universe.
--

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA
reply to MikegotOOL

that page you linked to is pretty useless.

there is a clear mathematical construct for what potentially goes on in negative absolute temp, but it's just that, a mathematical construct. it might be better to just call it a different phase of matter at a "real" temperature.

and there have been investigations into negative absolute temp, but it's always been from near absolute zero. once you get down to or below a micro-kelvin, quantum fluctuations supposedly can be interpreted as fluctuations in temperature that can probe negative temperatures.

still, anyone who uses a negative in front of something measured in kelvin is generally an idgit, or at best a poor comedian.
--
A man compounded of law and gospel is able to cheat a whole country with his religion and then destroy them under color of law. -Ben Franklin

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to briman27

If it's sunny 55F or so is good enough for me, if it's cloudy about 60F.
--
Less said takes longer. Walk the talk.

briman27
Titans Fan

Stratford, NJ
reply to briman27

How warm does it have to be for you guys to wear short sleeves with your shorts and and not be cold outside? I could go outside in shorts if it's about 50F and not be cold if I have a sweatshirt on. But, if I'm wearing shorts and short sleeves I'll be cold if it's under 60F. As long as it's at least 60F I'll be fine in shorts and short sleeves.

Why is it that if it's 55 degrees in the winter you think it's really warm, but if it's 55 degrees in the summer you think it's pretty cold? We had days back in early Spring were it was 55 and it was warm, but we had a day about 55 about a week ago and it felt cold.
--
Titans Fan
Verizon Online DSL - 1.5/384 - $29.95 a month

tstolze
Premium
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to briman27

I wear shorts almost year round. My last job I was able to wear shorts, the temps would be in the single digits or teens and I would stroll in with shorts on. It was a little cool leaving at night, worked 2nd shift, but give the truck 5 minutes to warm and all was fine. Now I have to wear pants at work, so if I am not at work I usually have shorts on, unless I will be outside for a long period of time in the winter, then I resort to pants...I hate pants!!
--
My Foldy Monitor, My Weather Page ,

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA
reply to briman27

said by briman27:

I wear shorts as long as it's going to be at least 60F for the high. I basically wear shorts April through October. I don't get cold very easily.
When I was in college (PSU@U. Park), pretty much wore shorts March through early December.

-tom
--
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." -Louis D Brandeis

RoqueJa

join:2006-06-12
San Francisco, CA
reply to briman27

When I was in High School I declared I was going to wear shorts every day of my senior year. And I did. Rode my bike to school every day. In shorts.

Now I wear them whenever there is sun. Probably go to jeans 50 times a year in Dec, Jan, Feb.

Oh yeah. I live in northern California.

raw
War Eagle
Premium
Madison, AL
reply to koolman2

I think you missed the humor in my statement.

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK

1 edit

No, I didn't.

By the way, since we are on the topic, several years ago I ran around the block in nothing but shorts and a T-shirt (and shoes of course) at -25 °C just to prove that I could and would. The length around is probably about 500 metres or so.
--

briman27
Titans Fan

Stratford, NJ

said by koolman2:

No, I didn't.

By the way, since we are on the topic, several years ago I ran around the block in nothing but shorts and a T-shirt (and shoes of course) at -25 °C just to prove that I could and would. The length around is probably about 500 metres or so.
Did you get frost bite?
--
Titans Fan
Verizon Online DSL - 1.5/384 - $29.95 a month