uniqs

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Interesting......

Is this in the firmware? How would this take to daily updates if it's in the firmware?

peter_m
Premium Member
join:2005-07-13
Canada, QC

peter_m

Premium Member

The idea is cool specially for people who don't want to bother with all the different security apps or for someone who is computer illiterate. I would wait and see how it performs, specially if it's from Dlink and it involves updates to the firmware...

Will the updates require a monthly service fee?

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by peter_m:

The idea is cool specially for people who don't want to bother with all the different security apps or for someone who is computer illiterate. I would wait and see how it performs, specially if it's from Dlink and it involves updates to the firmware...

Good question. And yes, as for Dlink, I will wait and see.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 edit

Karl Bode to peter_m

News Guy

to peter_m
That was my question as well, and so far I don't see any indication of such...

Scratch that: looks like a $79 yearly fee, a little steep for keeping my definitions updated....

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium Member
join:2003-02-20
Salisbury, NC

Chiyo

Premium Member

Sounds too good to be true but we'll see. Interested in reading a few reviews.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese
said by Cheese:

Is this in the firmware? How would this take to daily updates if it's in the firmware?
According to D-Link web site, the device automatically links to update sites to download tables to maintain updated signatures and definitions. From that, I assume that the firmware is the core code, and tables provide the customization and updated signatures and definitions.

Also, it looks like pieces reside outside of the security device. It is a 3 layer product:
THREE LAYERS OF PROTECTION
The SECURESPOT is the first all-in-one, plug and play desktop Internet Security Device designed to provide three layers of protection: the Web Layer, the SECURESPOT Hardware Layer, and the Individual Computer Layer. The Web Service Layer manages your home network security with real-time updates of antivirus, spam, spyware, reporting and content filtering databases. The SECURESPOT Layer provides network perimeter protection through firewall, content filtering, virus filtering, application control, identity theft, and reporting. The Individual Computer Layer protects by applying antivirus and spyware detection and removal, pop-up control, and application control.
FFH5

1 edit

FFH5 to peter_m

Premium Member

to peter_m
said by peter_m:

The purchase price is $100.
The YEARLY fee is $79 for updates for up to 4 computers.
FFH5

FFH5 to Chiyo

Premium Member

to Chiyo
said by Chiyo:

Sounds too good to be true but we'll see. Interested in reading a few reviews.
A very short review:
»laptopmag.com/CES2006/Wr ··· Spot.htm

thatdood
join:2002-07-03
Plano, TX

thatdood to Chiyo

to Chiyo
Looks like it acts as a inline layer 2 bridge. I wonder what the wirespeed performance is going to be?

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier to peter_m

Premium Member

to peter_m
said by peter_m:

The idea is cool specially for people who don't want to bother with all the different security apps or for someone who is computer illiterate.
It seems if it takes on those capabilities it would free PC CPUs of some processing normally devoted to running those apps on the PC. That in itself could be a nice benefit.

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

kamm to Cheese

to Cheese
said by Cheese:

Ummm perhaps via that mystical network called 'internet'?
kamm

kamm to peter_m

to peter_m
said by peter_m:

On top of the yearly one? I doubt it...

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

3 edits

1 recommendation

Cheese to kamm

Premium Member

to kamm
said by kamm:

said by Cheese:

Ummm perhaps via that mystical network called 'internet'?
I can still see, that you are a complete ignorant ****, I wasn't asking "how they would come to the device". I was talking about how the updates would work on a daily basis if it's built into the firmware. Take your trolling ass somewhere else please, your welcome still has worn out with me.

PJama
@bellsouth.net

PJama to Karl Bode

Anon

to Karl Bode
...the $79 is the second year. The initial $100 purchase includes the first year for up to 4 computers.
l00byl00p1
join:2006-07-27

l00byl00p1 to Cheese

to Cheese
this is old technology i seen this already its called spam cube, has 2 ports, same size, etc looks like d-link ripped them off. Spam Cube was reviewed by the New York Times like 6 months ago surprised you guys never heard of it

google spam cube about 2million hits come up

More Info
@afrc.af.mil

More Info to Cheese

Anon

to Cheese
Just spoke with a DLINK sales rep... The fee is $19.95 a year for the first 4 computers, then $19.95 for each additional four computers.