spc
uniqs
RBP36
join:2006-03-12
Woodridge, IL

RBP36 to CMCSAnews

to CMCSAnews

Re: [News] PowerBoost

Had lots of problems since last network upgrade (November).

Turns out some of their old equipment (Motorola WebStar cable modem in my case)did not do well with the upgrade.

My performance degraded to 700Kbps before they would come out.

Finally got the tech there. Real problem getting him to test with my network in place - (2 wireless and 3 wired subnets) forced to plug my PC straight in to do testing. WebStar failed during this reconfiguration. Tech installed new Motorola Surfboard modem..

WOW! Now clocking at a consistent 6-18 Mbps to my local sites. I use Speakeasy testing in Chicago and clocked numerous 16 - 21 mbps tests.

Most of the main BBR tests run 4 - 6.5 Mbps to the coasts

Have seen downloads clock as high as at 2.3MBps

YES that is MB not Mb. I am finally a Comcast fan again....

P.S. Was running a Sonicwall 2 which capped performance at 3.5 Mbps -MAX - replaced it with a PIX 501 with 6.3 code. BIG difference. Also: Have a wireless G system from Netgear - seem to only be able to get about 900K though it - even to local machines (-51 db signal at 48 Mbps - autodetect).

Moral of the story - Use good quality - up to date firewall hardware and firmware. Wireless will always cut the rate.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins

MVM

Click for full size
said by RBP36:

Wireless will always cut the rate.
Uh, not really...

YeOldeStonecat
join:2001-03-19
Groton, CT

YeOldeStonecat to RBP36

to RBP36
said by RBP36:

Moral of the story - Use good quality - up to date firewall hardware and firmware. Wireless will always cut the rate.
I agree...most "home grade" broadband routers that are over a year or so old...will start running out of steam around 10-15-20 megs throughput or so. Older ones even less..under 8-10 megs. So they'll be your bottleneck.

The above bursts above 65,000 that I posted a screenie of below...I obtain those from both my RV082, and my IPCop box (separately..not using at same time)
noebl1
join:2003-01-03
MA, USA

noebl1

I tried out IPcop this weekend and did notice my bursts went from 16mb/s with my Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT, up to 30mb/s with IPCop. I saw this not on a speed test, but downloading an ISO from Sourceforge. For the first several seconds it was bursting to around 3.65MB/s before dropping to 1MB/s.

-Mike

YeOldeStonecat
join:2001-03-19
Groton, CT

YeOldeStonecat to RBP36

to RBP36
said by RBP36:

P.S. Was running a Sonicwall 2 which capped performance at 3.5 Mbps -MAX - replaced it with a PIX 501 with 6.3 code. BIG difference.
That old PIX 501 is still a bottleneck for ya.