uniqs

rcilink
Premium Member
join:2003-12-15
Manchester, NH

rcilink

Premium Member

[PAP2] Unlocking Guide - Part II

Well, I guess we did it! The PAP2 Unlocking Guide thread got too big! In order to not have any postings get lost, this thread had to be started (and that original one is now locked).

Of course, I encourage anyone who is trying to unlock their PAP2 to review that thread carefully. There is a LOT of great information in there, and it should not be ignored..

Anyhow, Great job everyone for all the good info in the other thread. I hope we can continue to post more useful information in this thread for the Linksys PAP2 device.

My opinion on the 'unlocking' of a Linksys PAP2 that is married to Vonage or another provider is something like this: If the locked device can not be re-used (even with the same provider), then it is destined to be thrown away. This is an absolute waste! I can not see putting things that can be re-used into the trash.. So, unlocking got my interest. I am very happy to be able to give previously defunct equipment a new life...

I hope it helps others in re-using their devices, keeping them out of the landfill!
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

We broke the record in this forum! Well done everyone!

TertiusBR
@intelignet.com.br

TertiusBR

Anon

My pap2 3.1.9c it loads the xml but with http, nothing happens. Any idea to force the FW download?

Sukru Bey
join:2005-09-17
Toronto, ON

Sukru Bey to rcilink

to rcilink
I think I know why!

Was your PAP2 used for Fonage services before, or was it connected to internet before? If it was, that means you have a used PAP2 with 3.1.9 version, which also means it is locked to Fonage.

With our current information (hopefully one of us will find another way of unlocking or a way of turning PAP2 into PAP2 -NA), there is no way of unlocking used PAP2s with 3.1.9 version.

Again: Used PAP2s will not request fw upgrade. Therefore, they can not be unlocked yet.

If you buy a brand new PAP2 with 3.1.9 version, that is unlockable; but used ones with 3.1.9 version can not be unlocked yet.

Asterix
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA

Asterix

Premium Member

till Fonage changes the xml files to update current firmware to 3.1.10 or 3.1.12

pap2usr
@verizon.net

pap2usr

Anon

I accidentely factory reset a unlocked pap2 with fw 3.1.3 and now i am unable to unlock it again. Was able to feed the xml file download from von but after that nothing happens. I have the dns trick all set and configured and tested fine but it is not taking the fw download to it. The pap2 initally had 2.x fw before unlock and used the tftp method to upgrade to 3.1.3. I don't have the GPP_K value also. Please advice. thanks in advance.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by pap2usr :

I don't have the GPP_K value also. Please advice. thanks in advance.
Live really sucks on a PAP2 without its GPP_K values!

From the trends I see here, it is becoming harder to unlock any PAP2 runs on a firmware newer than v3.1.6 (the last released firmware before the unlocking guide was out). If you failed to secure the GPP_K values of your unlocked PAP2 and accidentally factory reset your unlocked PAP2, then you are currently out of luck until someone comes up with a better way to unlock your PAP2 that runs on a firmware newer than v3.1.6. Even some people have discovered ways to unlock your PAP2 runs on a newer firmware than v3.1.6, I doubt they will release the information here to let Linksys/Vonage counteract this hack with a newer firmware. This is just my hunch.
mypiv7
join:2006-04-29
USA

mypiv7

said by mazilo:

Even some people have discovered ways to unlock your PAP2 runs on a newer firmware than v3.1.6, I doubt they will release the information here to let Linksys/Vonage counteract this hack with a newer firmware. This is just my hunch.
I am also facing the same problem. Can some PLEASE PLEASE instant message me how to unlock the pap with new process if any, i have tried all process but no luck so far. Thanks.

Sukru Bey
Toronto, ON

Sukru Bey to rcilink

to rcilink
I just don't understand why a hacked PAP2 owner does not learn the GPP_K value. You never know when you'll need it. I hope you will never need it; but it is safer to have it.

So, I inviate all hacked PAP2 owners to learn their GPP_K value.
It is just 5 or 10 minutes of work.

Pap2usr and Myvoip07,

I keep repeating this: You can not unlock PAP2 that is connected to internet and got 3.1.9 version from Fonage, unless you have GPP_K value.

You can even unlock a brand new PAP2 that has 3.1.9 version, because it is not yet connected to internet. Therefore, some of us here are successful unlocking their PAP2s, but some are not, because they all have used (upgraded to 3.1.9 by Fonage) PAP2s.

Be patient guys. We all hope to have a new method of unlocking.
mypiv7
USA

mypiv7

my pap2 was never connected to the internet. the fw was 2.x before it was unlocked and flashed it with 3.1.3 using the methods posted here. After factory reset the fw is 3.1.3 but locked and the dns method doesn't work anymore to unlock it. the pap now needs 3 xml files from different ports too.

Sukru Bey
Toronto, ON

Sukru Bey

said by mypiv7:

my pap2 was never connected to the internet. the fw was 2.x before it was unlocked and flashed it with 3.1.3 using the methods posted here. After factory reset the fw is 3.1.3 but locked and the dns method doesn't work anymore to unlock it. the pap now needs 3 xml files from different ports too.
So, do you have 3.1.3 fw in your locked PAP2 or 3.1.9?
gatzdon
join:2002-10-25
Lake Zurich, IL

gatzdon to rcilink

to rcilink
I still don't understand why people do a Factory Reset. And don't try to tell me it was an accident because it's not like knocking if off the table.

If people even read the first hundred or so posts of the thread, they would understand that a factory reset is never necessary.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to mypiv7

Premium Member

to mypiv7
said by mypiv7:

After factory reset the fw is 3.1.3 but locked and the dns method doesn't work anymore to unlock it. the pap now needs 3 xml files from different ports too.
If your PAP2 still has v3.1.3, you can still unlock it using the firmware spoofing method as mentioned in the beginning of the other post. Please read them to understand. And, please remember to save a copy of your PAP2 GPP_K values once you have it unlocked!
mazilo

mazilo to gatzdon

Premium Member

to gatzdon
said by gatzdon:

I still don't understand why people do a Factory Reset. And don't try to tell me it was an accident because it's not like knocking if off the table.
You'll find all sort of excuses people will come up with having their PAP2 mistakenly factory reset without even bother to first secure the GPP_K values of their PAP2. I have yet to find someone to tell us what was their condition right before they performed the factory reset, i.e. having a loaded gun pointed @their heads, etc.
If people even read the first hundred or so posts of the thread, they would understand that a factory reset is never necessary.
This is the major problem with lots of people here. They don't bother to read (perhaps, they think they are smarter or whatsoever) mainly because the task is over and it's time to enjoy their PAP2 unit(s).

And to top your remarks, there has been numerous posts asking PAP2 owners to keep a copy of GPP_K values once they unlocked their PAP2, yet you would still see some people posting about re-locking their PAP2 without saving a copy of their PAP2's GPP_K values. I really don't know why these people failed to secure their PAP2's GPP_K values; however, I can assure you that they really learnt their lesson to feel their life really sucks without securing the GPP_K values of their unlock PAP2 units (knowing they had plentiful opportunities to do so), let alone mistakenly resetting the PAP2. If you managed to unlock your PAP2 and don't bother to secure its GPP_K values (let alone not bother to read posts in this thread), then you deserve this punishment if you even get it relocked through a factory reset. There is no excuse of not knowing that you need to secure the GPP_K values unless there is a way to completely turning your Linksys/Vonage locked PAP2 into a PAP2-NA!

BTW, I don't even remember what's the code to reset my PAP2 (if you know what I mean) . Of course I know the answer, but I have forgotten the code at the moment.
mypiv7
USA

mypiv7 to Sukru Bey

to Sukru Bey
said by Sukru Bey:

said by mypiv7:
So, do you have 3.1.3 fw in your locked PAP2 or 3.1.9?
3.1.3 fw on the locked pap2.
I tried feeding even the xml file you posted here but no luck. I am aware it won't reset the adm pswd but wanted to try. Another thing i notice the web access get disable after it accept the xml file not sure why. I can ping the pap, ip, mask, gw is fine confirmed thru phone option but cannot access through the browser.
mypiv7

mypiv7 to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

said by gatzdon:

You'll find all sort of excuses people will come up with having their PAP2 mistakenly factory reset without even bother to first secure the GPP_K values of their PAP2. I have yet to find someone to tell us what was their condition right before they performed the factory reset, i.e. having a loaded gun pointed @their heads, etc.
This is the major problem with lots of people here. They don't bother to read (perhaps, they think they are smarter or whatsoever) mainly because the task is over and it's time to enjoy their PAP2 unit(s).

And to top your remarks, there has been numerous posts asking PAP2 owners to keep a copy of GPP_K values once they unlocked their PAP2, yet you would still see some people posting about re-locking their PAP2 without saving a copy of their PAP2's GPP_K values. I really don't know why these people failed to secure their PAP2's GPP_K values; however, I can assure you that they really learnt their lesson to feel their life really sucks without securing the GPP_K values of their unlock PAP2 units (knowing they had plentiful opportunities to do so), let alone mistakenly resetting the PAP2. If you managed to unlock your PAP2 and don't bother to secure its GPP_K values (let alone not bother to read posts in this thread), then you deserve this punishment if you even get it relocked through a factory reset. There is no excuse of not knowing that you need to secure the GPP_K values unless there is a way to completely turning your Linksys/Vonage locked PAP2 into a PAP2-NA!

BTW, I don't even remember what's the code to reset my PAP2 (if you know what I mean) . Of course I know the answer, but I have forgotten the code at the moment.
Life does really sucks without having the GPP_K values of the PAP2 I have already learnt my lesson
mypiv7

mypiv7 to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

said by mypiv7:

After factory reset the fw is 3.1.3 but locked and the dns method doesn't work anymore to unlock it. the pap now needs 3 xml files from different ports too.
If your PAP2 still has v3.1.3, you can still unlock it using the firmware spoofing method as mentioned in the beginning of the other post. Please read them to understand. And, please remember to save a copy of your PAP2 GPP_K values once you have it unlocked!
That's what i am doing but no luck so far. I was able to do the same steps while helping another friend of mine as we bought pap together with the same fw ver
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by mypiv7:

That's what i am doing but no luck so far. I was able to do the same steps while helping another friend of mine as we bought pap together with the same fw ver
Can you access to the webpage of your PAP2?
mypiv7
USA

1 edit

mypiv7

said by mazilo:

said by mypiv7:
Can you access to the webpage of your PAP2?
Yes i can now after i did a factory reset again and i feed the xml file Sukru Bey posted here renamed to my spaMymac. Also added the admin/user pswd but still it doesn't upload the file nor allows admin access.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by mypiv7:

Yes i can now after i did a factory reset again ...
Just do a firmware upgrade with modded SPA2K firmware.
mypiv7
USA

mypiv7

said by mazilo:

said by mypiv7:
Just do a firmware upgrade with modded SPA2K firmware.
I try this method in 1st post at »[PAP2] Unlocking Guide but it is asking for admin password.
rizzo2dial
Premium Member
join:2004-08-05

1 recommendation

rizzo2dial to mypiv7

Premium Member

to mypiv7
said by mypiv7:

Stop feeding your adapter XML files, and stop doing any DNS, TFTP, etc. spoofing! If your PAP2 truly has firmware 3.1.3 in it, factory Reset your adapter and follow the instructions in the ORIGINAL POST of the ORIGINAL PAP2 UNLOCKING GUIDE! THE END.

It should take you all of 5 minutes to unlock your adapter.

christcorp
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY

christcorp

Premium Member

Agree 100%. My PAP2 came with 3.1.3 on it brand new. Virgin. It took me more time to find the 2 firmware files than it took to do the procedure. Took me 10 minutes, because after going to Sipura, turning off provisioning, and going back to PAP2, and then decided to go to SPA1001 and leave it like that. (Thanks for that tip by the way). Now I can factory reset it if I want and not worry.

Of course I figured out AFTER the fact, I could have just gone straight from 3.1.3 locked to the SPA1001 firmware. Or at least that is what I believe I could have done.

Either way, the 3.1.6 or below unlocking is a breaze. Later... Mike...
rizzo2dial
Premium Member
join:2004-08-05

1 edit

rizzo2dial to mypiv7

Premium Member

to mypiv7
said by mypiv7:

I try this method in 1st post at »[PAP2] Unlocking Guide but it is asking for admin password.
Then you're an idiot individual who can't properly read and follow the OP of that thread.

Go back and re-read steps 5, 6 and 7. Keep re-reading them until you understand how to follow simple instructions. If you still don't get it, read the first 100 or so posts in that thread. That issue has been raised and addressed countless times in that thread.

EDIT: In the spirit of sticking w/ BBR rules, replaced "idiot" with "individual." Besides, it was an insult to idiots!

brownfox
@wustl.edu

brownfox

Anon

Till now anyone find a way of unlocking used PAP2s with 3.1.9 version?

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to rcilink

Premium Member

to rcilink
Are any of you guys/gals using GetSipura on your unlocked PAP2's? Any problems to report?

I believe I had one user confirm a few months ago that it was working.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

1 edit

mazilo

Premium Member

said by digiblur:

Are any of you guys/gals using GetSipura on your unlocked PAP2's? Any problems to report?
No feedback from PAP2 owners? When I first unlocked my PAP2 back in 9/2005, I tried to configure your utility to work with my PAP2 to no avail. IIRC, no one seemed to be interested in helping me out at the time, so I just abandoned using this utility .

Perhaps, create another project like this and name it to GetPAP2 to attract PAP2 owners .

EDIT: Perhaps, making this utility to work under Linux will make more sense(?) to PAP2 owners.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

said by mazilo:
said by digiblur:

No feedback from PAP2 owners? When I first unlocked my PAP2 back in 9/2005, I tried to configure your utility to work with my PAP2 to no avail. IIRC, no one seemed to be interested in helping me out at the time, so I just abandoned using this utility .

Perhaps, create another project like this and name it to GetPAP2 to attract PAP2 owners .

EDIT: Perhaps, making this utility to work under Linux will make more sense(?) to PAP2 owners.
AFAIK, there isn't a Linux build of Samurize.

I must have missed your request back in 9/2005 from the wonderful two wammy hurricanes we had at that time. Any version greater than 0.74 should work fine with the PAP2, but I wasn't sure if any firmware upgrades to the unit has caused problems.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to rcilink

Premium Member

to rcilink
When I get a chance, I will give this another try to see if it will work on my PAP2-NA.

global_dev
join:2005-09-23
Woodbridge, VA

global_dev to digiblur

to digiblur
I have been using getsipura for the pap2 unlocked 3.1.6. no problem. works great (on xp). i haven't upgraded to the latest version which logs both lines, since I only use 1 line mostly.

I stopped looking at most PAP2 threads a couple months ago due to the mass amount of posts requesting the same information.