Search similar:

uniqs
hakujin
join:2004-02-19
Chicago, IL

hakujin to mazilo

to mazilo

Re: [PAP2] Unlocking Guide - Part II

I must have been mistakent. My serail is FH9004Axxxx so I must have 2.10 right? I was reading some earlier Aug 06 instructions that I downloaded that state FH900Exxxxx, sarts at x, if it's a char, most likely its 3.1.7 or higher and thought that was indeed mine. It appears I was wrong so I'll give unlocking a go.

Question to you:

1. Is there any added benefit from more RAM, and I assume more flash memory PAP2?

2. Thanks for the link to SPATools. However, is that link the lastest firmware I should go with?
hakujin

hakujin to rcilink

to rcilink
Apologies for the typo, that's embarrassing. DogFace5, one more question.

My PAP2 has been connected to Vonage for awhile. Would Vonage have not already upgraded my fw remotely to 3.1.9 or is that not possible with my older model?

TIA
rizzo2dial
Premium Member
join:2004-08-05

rizzo2dial

Premium Member

said by hakujin:

My PAP2 has been connected to Vonage for awhile. Would Vonage have not already upgraded my fw remotely to 3.1.9 or is that not possible with my older model?
It is entirely possible (and probable) that your PAP2's firmware has been upgraded to something newer than what it came with. If it's been connected to Vonge within the last year or so, it's probably got 3.1.9 on it, which means you need to use the DogFace056 See Profile unlock service. If it's got 3.1.6 or lower, you can unlock it as already suggested using the SPATools method.

peter_m
Premium Member
join:2005-07-13
Canada, QC

1 edit

peter_m to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

Yup and have extracted it on my Debian v4 machine without a problem.
Is there any hope of unlocking properly with a home brewed firmware? How much work will it take?

Peter
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by peter_m:

Is there any hope of unlocking properly with a home brewed firmware? How much work will it take?
AFAIK, the firmware source code doesn't include the Voice Module (VM) source. Therefore, any firmware you build base on this source will have no VM part and will be useless. You can always take a look at the firmware source to learn something that may and/or may not lead you to unlock the device.

peter_m
Premium Member
join:2005-07-13
Canada, QC

peter_m to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
Is a PAP2T-NA a good solution? I've read somewhere it can't sustain 2 simultaneous phone calls???

WRTP54G-ER, is it a better choice? When you say unlocked do you mean I can turn it into a -NA or is it a hack like the current PAP2 v2 where the config pages have to accessed via copy/paste?

Peter
hakujin
Chicago, IL

hakujin to rizzo2dial

to rizzo2dial
Thanks rizzo2dial. How would I ascertain which firmware it's running; would it simply be labeled as such if I fail via the SPATools method?

TIA
mypiv7
join:2006-04-29
USA

1 edit

mypiv7

said by hakujin:

How would I ascertain which firmware it's running
Remember don't connect to internet(don't connect the lan cable to the pap2), just power up the pap2, connect a regular phone to line1 of the pap2 and dial **** when it says configuration menu and enter option, key in 150# and it will tell you the fw version.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to peter_m

Premium Member

to peter_m
said by peter_m:

Is a PAP2T-NA a good solution? I've read somewhere it can't sustain 2 simultaneous phone calls???
AFAIK, a PAP2T is similar to a PAP2v1, except it has more Flash/RAM.
WRTP54G-ER, is it a better choice? When you say unlocked do you mean I can turn it into a -NA ...
The hack will allow you to turn a Linksys/Earthlink WRTP54G-ER into a WRTP54G-NA (I don't know if it is appropriate to add the -NA) in the sense that it won't get relocked after a factory reset.
mazilo

mazilo to hakujin

Premium Member

to hakujin
said by hakujin:

1. Is there any added benefit from more RAM, and I assume more flash memory PAP2?
AFAIK, a computer with more RAM will run smoother than the one that has limited RAM. Since a PAP2 is a small computer (embedded device), this is also true. So, more RAM means better and smoother. More Flash means the device can have more programs/features added in the future.
2. Thanks for the link to SPATools. However, is that link the lastest firmware I should go with?
You want the SPA firmware v2.0.9d and PAP2 firmware v3.1.6 and/or older. If you want to take a risk (not recommended) and don't mind to let Vonage re-lock your device if mistakenly factory reset while connected to the Internet, then you can use firmware newer than v3.1.6.

DogFace056
join:2005-12-09
Cary, NC

1 recommendation

DogFace056 to hakujin

to hakujin
said by hakujin:

A regular computer normally uses a portion of its harddisk's storage to make programs think there is more memory in the computer than the real physical RAM installed. This use of the harddrive's storage is referred to as virtual memory. When programs use up more storage than what's available in RAM, the OS starts allocating memory from the "virtual" memory on disk, and has to swap data between RAM and disk to satisfy access requests for data found there. Such swapping is very time consuming compared to access to data already found in RAM. So to the extent that one adds RAM capacity to reduce or eliminate any virtual memory accesses to data swapped out to disk, it significantly improves performance. On the other hand, any RAM in excess of what is ever allocated fom it, is just overkill and has no performance benefit nor will it make anything run smoother.

Embedded devices such as the PAP2, do not have virtual memory, so there are absolutely no performance benefits from more RAM in and of itself. So long as there is enough RAM to satisfy the needs of the device's application, it is just overkill to add more RAM. On the other hand, insufficient RAM will almost certainly cause the device to malfunction. More RAM is useful for supporting future software upgrades with features that would otherwise not fit within the current RAM capacity. However, it is very unlikely for any significant feature enhancements to ever be introduced, other than in new products.

The PAP2T comes with twice the amount of Flash of the PAP2v1--2MB versus 1MB. It uses the extra Flash to fit two full firmware images, a primary and a secondary, or fail safe, which is meant to take over in case the primary becomes corrupt. The PAP2v1 also has a fail safe image, but a very limited stripped down one, which at least up to and including FW version 3.1.6 was actually faulty and would crash immediately upon boot.
hakujin
Chicago, IL

hakujin to mypiv7

to mypiv7
v3.1.9c

Looks like my only option for unlock is paid service eh? This should allow me to utilize my device with sunrocket or broadvoice with minimal config (i.e. network settings given by the service provider). How much DogFace05?
hakujin

hakujin to DogFace056

to DogFace056
Heheh, thanks for the info on RAM but I didn't mean broadly speaking or related to personal computers; rather, just for this particular device embedded device.

I figured as much specifically regarding the PAP2 and more RAM; related to its primary purpose, it would seem redundant for my needs. Info on dual flash images was very useful as well. The v1 fail save sounds similar to RXBOOT (mini-IOS) on Cisco routers.
Fiku
join:2006-07-05
Italy

Fiku

Hi all,

i bought a pap2 Version:3.1.9(LSc) to ebay but didn't know the policy of providers device blocking, so i connected it to internet and i saw it was blocked, now i don't know what kind of firmware there was before in the device but now there ise the Version:3.1.9(LSc)
the device was bought on april 2006 and conected to internet in may 2006, from that time the device was not connected to internet untill now.
Can you help me to unlock it? is possible?

any guide?link?
thank you.

Sukru Bey
join:2005-09-17
Toronto, ON

Sukru Bey to rcilink

to rcilink
You have only one choice: Send an email to customata(at)yahoo(dot)com and he will not only unlock it, but also -NAize it where it won't be locked even you factory reset it; but you need to pay him for his service.

I said "You have only one choice," because there is no other person or a method we know that can unlock your PAP2.
floriantet
join:2006-03-04
Rochester, MI

floriantet

said by Sukru Bey:

there is no other person or a method we know that can unlock your PAP2.
Well that is not entirely true: You can say that it is the only software method that we know - we are a few that can do a hardware unlock by reprogramming the eprom.
nsymms
join:2007-02-12
Houston, TX

1 edit

nsymms to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

Or, you can just consider to kiss a PAP2 hasta la vista and purchase a Linksys/Earthlink locked WRTP54G-ER VoIP WiFi NAT/Firewall Router for about $40 and have it completely/easily unlocked.
Been trying this, mazilo. CYT won't unlock an earthlink WRTP54G, and the "ping hack" don't work. In fact, ping doesn't work at all (broken?). Also can't do the TFTP at bootup, like some other linksys routers allow. I'm on firmware v3.1.14. Any other ideas? I'm not looking forward to JTAG.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by nsymms:

I'm not looking forward to JTAG.
Looks like this is the only solution to completely remove Earthlink and turn your WRTP54G-ER into a WRTP54G-NA. In the sense, this approach is far better than the others, YMMV.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to hakujin

Premium Member

to hakujin
said by hakujin:

...This should allow me to utilize my device with sunrocket or broadvoice with minimal config (i.e. network settings given by the service provider).
Just a friendly warning: You will not be able to use your device with SunRocket. They are one of the few VOIP providers who refuse to allow SoftPhone or BYOD.
Blader
join:2007-04-06
St George Brant, ON

Blader

Hi all Im new here and was reading the other day about unlocking the WRT54GP2 I picked it up at Staples and was following the unlock procedure at the begining but I cant get the tftp server? I can log onto the »192.168.1.5.1/ and I can get into the router but I went to managment section to change password and it seemed to change.I could get back into it by using 1234 instead of admin admin but when I go to look at it again intsead of 4 stars there hiding the pswd it go like the factory pwsd there? dunno. When i go to voice is says contact service provider so I assume its still locked. I do see that the Voice version says 2.0.1.2 How do I find this tftp server? thanks for all help in advance
Blader

Blader

Damm peeps I think that when I hooked it up to net it downloaded latest, it now says Voice ver 3.1.6 and Firmware 1.30.01 I think now Im toast, its probably unlockable? Please someone help...Thanks!
Dan_voip
join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC

Dan_voip to Blader

to Blader
said by Blader:

I can log onto the »192.168.1.5.1/ and I can get into the router but I went to managment section to change password and it seemed to change.
I do see that the Voice version says 2.0.1.2 How do I find this tftp server? thanks for all help in advance
You don't have to click on 'voice', you have to go to:
»192.168.15.1/Voice_adminPage.htm
If it's unlocked will allow you to login there.
If doesn't work give us some details, which unlock method did you used (a link eventually), witch steps did you performed and where are you stuck.
Blader
join:2007-04-06
St George Brant, ON

1 edit

Blader

Well I followed the unlock part 2 procedure from posting in here, but I can get into router and change pswd, but I dont know get into the tftp server I downloaded from solarwinds and how? and where? to get those bin files,and put them into the root directory? When I try to go to upgrade it craps out and I cant get any further.
Blader

Blader

Doesnt any 1 know the password on these damm things? There must be a password to unlock voice settings without doing all the rest of this chit. Oh by the way I took back my WRT54GP back to Staples and got another made sure that it had alota dust on it ,the FW ver on the new 1 is 1.28.00 and voice ver is 2.0.13(L1vd) I cant get it to take firware unlock bin it keeps asking me for password? huhuhh.damm I think its gonna be easier to buy a unlocked 1 LOL.I got some other links to unlocking but either the links are old or German...lol sorry I can it. Would be nice if someone could send me all files and easy unlock method. Would be greatly appreciated thanks all...
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by Blader:

Doesnt any 1 know the password on these damm things?
I believe you have posted on the wrong thread for your WRT54GP2. This thread is for a PAP2v1 unlocking discussion, AFAICT.

drose25
join:2001-06-12
Dallas, TX

drose25

Before you zip past this post prepared to flame me, I have read every post in this, and the prior thread, and after trying all of the relevant advice, I'm stuck with a somewhat unusual problem.

I have a PAP2 that I want to unlock. Firmware shows version 2.0.10(Lsb). To my knowledge, it has never connected to the internet. It was given to me a couple of years ago as a present, and has remained, shrinkwrapped in its original box, in my closet until yesterday.

Initially the unit's webpage access was disabled. Trying the **** 7932# routine would not enable web access, despite trying all passwords in the previous threads. The unit did do a factory reset, without a password, from the IVR.

That failing, I moved on to the DNS spoofing/tftp server method. This unit happily accepts unencrypted xml files. Using a plaintext xml file, I was able to turn webpage access on, and I thought I set the admin password. However, although the unit downloads and processes the xml file, it DOES NOT change the admin password. I have double-checked the xml syntax, and tried a variety of passwords, and even left it blank, all without success. I have made sure to log in with the user name and password first, and then tried to click to the admin section and enter the admin credentials there.

Without an admin password, I attempted to do the user mode firmware upgrade to unlock this unit, by using an url similar to this:

»192.168.1.5/upgrade?tftp ··· SP2K.bin

The unit insists on asking for an admin username and password -- even though I am already logged in with the user username and password. The unlocking threads indicate that user mode upgrades weren't disabled until much higher FW revisions, but this unit won't.

From reading all the foregoing posts, firmware 2.0.10 was supposed to be one of the easiest to unlock, especially via the plaintext xml method. This unit, however, will not change admin passwords that way.

Any suggestions?
rizzo2dial
Premium Member
join:2004-08-05

rizzo2dial

Premium Member

said by drose25:

Without an admin password, I attempted to do the user mode firmware upgrade to unlock this unit, by using an url similar to this:

»192.168.1.5/upgrade?tftp ··· SP2K.bin

The unit insists on asking for an admin username and password -- even though I am already logged in with the user username and password. The unlocking threads indicate that user mode upgrades weren't disabled until much higher FW revisions, but this unit won't.

From reading all the foregoing posts, firmware 2.0.10 was supposed to be one of the easiest to unlock, especially via the plaintext xml method. This unit, however, will not change admin passwords that way.

Any suggestions?
While it asks for an admin password, w/ the firmware version loaded on your adapter, the pop-up box accepts a user level account.

drose25
Dallas, TX

drose25

quote:
While it asks for an admin password, w/ the firmware version loaded on your adapter, the pop-up box accepts a user level account.
Alas, were it that simple. I've tried that as well, with no success. Entering "user" and the user password does nothing, other than have it ask for the password again. Unless there's some other user account I'm not aware of. I use "user" with the password I set up in the web interface, which works to log on to the page.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by drose25:

I use "user" with the password I set up in the web interface, which works to log on to the page.
You might want to consider the following:
  1. Factory reset your PAP2v1 on an isolated LAN and try to unlock it again.
  2. Be sure to also clean the cache memory of your web browser before you proceed with item listed above.
  3. Worse comes to worst, sell this device (be sure to advertise the device has an old firmware ) and get a PAP2T-NA, or
  4. Pay someone to completely remove Vonage from your device to turn it into a PAP2-NA.

drose25
Dallas, TX

drose25

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried another factory reset and still wind up with the unit asking for an admin password when it comes time to upgrade.

I guess this particularly uncooperative PAP2 is destined for the trash can. I can't pawn it off on Ebay and frustrate someone else like this.