uniqs

damn
Premium Member
join:2002-10-23
nyc

damn

Premium Member

[OT] MTA Vending machines

Around 2 months ago I bought a monthly Metrocard at vending machine. Turns out the machine double-charged my credit card. Called MTA and their responce was "That's not our problem, call your bank". Well ok, called my bank and told them about it. My bank for some reason reversed all the charges MTA ever did to my card for the past 6 months I had the card for. That's $511. Nobody complains about free money so I didn't call neither my bank or MTA.

Now get this - whenever I buy Metrocard and doesn't matter which card I use (as long as it has my name on it) I never get charged for it. Did I got on some sort of "white list" of MTA or what?

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

My view... you didn't do anything illegal to have this happen to you. Buy your Metrocards and go about your business and enjoy it. However, don't start doing stupid things like buying a stack of them and re-selling them. Stuff like that will come back and kick you in the ass severely.

I have a similar situation. I have Sirius satellite radio in my car since 2002. I suspended the subscription in 2003 because I took the stereo out of an old car and did not install it in the car I was driving at the time. When I bought my new truck in the end of '04, I had the stereo professionally installed. I found out that while I was not getting charged, the service still worked. I left it at that. not my fault their operations and billing dept is all screwed up.
Maggs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Jackson Heights, NY

Maggs to damn

Premium Member

to damn
They will catch up eventually. They'll bill you some crazy amount, and you really won't be able to contest it. Enjoy the free ride, you have a paper trail a mile long to trip you up.

Just my opinion.

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

My sister lost her wallet and someone found it and bought a bunch of metro cards. She her self had a similar situation where they didn't charge her card for a few months. She then one day swiped her card to get in a train station and a police officer stopped her.

Apparently when you swipe a stolen card through a turnstile it lights up on the back yellow or something.

richk_1957
If ..Then..Else
Premium Member
join:2001-04-11
Minas Tirith

richk_1957 to damn

Premium Member

to damn
Get it checked out ASAP

All of a sudden you might find this huge bill in the mail.

I know someone who had cable TV & cancelled it, but Cablevision never turned off the service. He called them about it and they said 'that's impossible, according to our records'. He pulled the cable out of the house himself, but it was still active. Six months later he got this huge bill in the mail from Cablevision. He said the same thing, Dv8or, 'It's not my fault, it's your billing departments mistake', but they said it was his responsibility to notify them that the service was still on [he did, by phone & mail]. They took him to court about it. He won, of course, even got his legal fees back, but is was a PIA.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3 to damn

Premium Member

to damn
i could use a free monthly there buddy

The Dv8or
Premium Member
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

said by MEDIAN2k3:

See, they all come out of the woodwork. Lookin for a free buy, but will sell ya up the river at the drop of a hat.

damn
Premium Member
nyc

damn

Premium Member

Just out of curiosity toady went to ticket booth (or whatever they're called now) and asked dude to 'check out' my Metrocard because I had 'some issues' with it. He said it was absolutely fine
Isn't there some sort of time limit where merchant can's charge for the product/service that you bought 6 months ago? I worked with CC processing before and remember something like that.

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

they have your address. If they can't bill your card they will bill you directly. Don't pay it they ruin your credit.

If I were a token booth clerk and someone said hey my cards acting funny and I check it for them and it says "Dead beat or something" I'd tell them it was perfectly fine too.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3 to The Dv8or

Premium Member

to The Dv8or
said by The Dv8or:
said by MEDIAN2k3:

See, they all come out of the woodwork. Lookin for a free buy, but will sell ya up the river at the drop of a hat.
I know Daddy outside of DSLR we live a couple of blocks from each other i was just joshin him around a bit. or was i?

RealoRc
Premium Member
join:2003-01-25
Brooklyn, NY

RealoRc to damn

Premium Member

to damn
I think the MTA is reviewing your charges and deciding if they want to blacklist you.. heh

LiberalKing
Intocable
Premium Member
join:2005-09-12
Bronx, NY

LiberalKing to damn

Premium Member

to damn
be this is a glitch the MTA is not aware of. let me go call chase and ask them to dispute all my mta charges.

Quint9
I Need A Bigger Boat
join:2003-03-04

Quint9 to damn

to damn
said by damn:

Just out of curiosity toady went to ticket booth (or whatever they're called now) and asked dude to 'check out' my Metrocard because I had 'some issues' with it. He said it was absolutely fine
Isn't there some sort of time limit where merchant can's charge for the product/service that you bought 6 months ago? I worked with CC processing before and remember something like that.
Get serious, this isn't a merchant - its a government entity. When they catch up with you, and they will, they will extract every cent you owe them. You have no defense and you'll be lucky if they don't try to have you arrested for fraud.

This is definitely a "pay-me-now-or-pay-me-later" situation.

Irun Man
Premium Member
join:2002-10-18
Millsboro, DE

Irun Man to damn

Premium Member

to damn
If your credit card is still being accepted at the vending machines, eventually you will be asked to pay up. If the MTA can't get their money through the merchant account, you can expect a collections notice eventually... or worse.

The Dv8or
Premium Member
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

1 edit

The Dv8or to Quint9

Premium Member

to Quint9
Holy f**k! The paranoia is out in full effect! "You must pay, or the SS will come to your house with guns and drag you to hell".

Lighten up a little. Has it occurred to you that there are all kinds of protections a credit card purchase offers? This isnt exactly tax evasion on 10 million dollars here. The worst that happens is that you get a letter stating there was a mistake and that you will be charged, and you will wind up paying the same amount you would have in the first place. I'd say the worst case scenario is pretty good here. Ride it while you can, and hope it doesn't come back at you, and if it does, no big deal.

damn
Premium Member
nyc

damn to MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

to MEDIAN2k3
Bought one yesterday, still no charge
said by MEDIAN2k3:

I know Daddy outside of DSLR we live a couple of blocks from each other i was just joshin him around a bit. or was i?
What's "joshin"? I'm still around, just don't hear from you too much

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

1 edit

MEDIAN2k3 to damn

Premium Member

to damn
joshin like joking playing around lol, yeah im busy at work, hows (company)?

Quint9
I Need A Bigger Boat
join:2003-03-04

Quint9 to The Dv8or

to The Dv8or
said by The Dv8or:

Holy f**k! The paranoia is out in full effect! "You must pay, or the SS will come to your house with guns and drag you to hell".

Lighten up a little. Has it occurred to you that there are all kinds of protections a credit card purchase offers?
What the OP has described here is FRAUD. Can it be proved in court? Maybe, maybe not, but make no mistake, taking something of value that you know doesn't belong to you is theft in both a moral and legal sense.

When (not if) the MTA corrects its records and comes for its money "credit card protections" won't count for a fig.

The OP will have to cough up all the money out of his own pocket - and any attempt to evade that responsibility could be met with theft charges being filed.

Will it? Probably not. Could it? You betcha.

The Dv8or
Premium Member
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

How is it fraud? What crime did he commit? He conducted a standard transaction using a perfectly legal credit card in his name. At no time did he do ANYTHING illegal.

And yeah, if it all catches up, he will have to pay for his transactions--something he would have done anyway. I never said for a second that he should not.

damn
Premium Member
nyc

damn

Premium Member

Well, end of free rides. Today I got charged for metrocard I bought 2 days