share rss forum feed

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
join:2000-09-11

1 edit

3 recommendations

Suggestion for Team Names

As many of you know, the only way to keep a team's stats consolidated in BOINC across projects is for the team to have the identical name in each of those projects.

Thus far here are the team names:

Broadbandreports.com Team CPDN (CPDN)
DSLReports.com Team Helix (Rosetta@Home)
Broadbandreports.com Team Starfire (Seti@Home, Einstein@Home, LHC)

Why not just name all those teams Broadbandreports.com or DSLReports.com (if management prefers). It will give us a much stronger presence in the DC world of BOINC.

Mind you, I am not saying Starfire would stop being Starfire nor would Team Helix stop being Team Helix. The forum and what we call ourselves would be the same. The only change is what we call ourselves on the stat pages of the projects' homes. What do you think?

--
One has to multiply thoughts to the point where there aren't enough policemen to control them - Stanislaw Jerzey

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5

1 edit

1 recommendation

Predictor@Home is Team StarFire at present (that would be a good idea if approved)

Sysadmin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-07
Elk Grove, CA

1 recommendation

reply to m00kie
My guess is the DCS would have to take this and discuss it. I agree that we should go with a name like BroadBandReports.com or DSLReports.com so the stats would be consolidated.

Justakiwi
Premium
join:2004-11-24
new zealand

1 recommendation

reply to m00kie
I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping the Starfire, Helix etc, but I think there should be consistency with the Broadbandreports/DSLReports part of the name. Given that we supposedly moved from DSLReports to Broadbandreports some time back, I think all teams should sport the Broadbandreports title.

--
"Stand up and walk out of your history" ~ Phil McGraw

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
said by Justakiwi:

I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping the Starfire, Helix etc, but I think there should be consistency with the Broadbandreports/DSLReports part of the name. Given that we supposedly moved from DSLReports to Broadbandreports some time back, I think all teams should sport the Broadbandreports title.

That's why I said that part of the decision was up to management (Justin) as to which he would prefer. Starfire would still be Starfire with their own forum and team name. The same would apply to Team CPDN or Team Helix. They would still keep their names in their forums, etc. The only change would be that at the project page where you join a team, all three teams would have the same name. You could even still use your team name in the description field of the project's pages.
So, for example, at the Seti@Home page for Starfire »setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_joi···id=30192 the team name could be BroadbandReports.com and then in the description field it could say "Team Starfire - broadband users crunching to find ET". A similar thing could be done at Rosetta, etc.
--
One has to multiply thoughts to the point where there aren't enough policemen to control them - Stanislaw Jerzey

MikeC
Premium
join:2001-09-24
Des Plaines, IL

1 recommendation

reply to m00kie
I think it gives more to the site and after all we are just guests.

Icarus
Department Of Redundancy Department
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to m00kie
A part of the problem is that DSLR Team Helix cannot change its name as the "founder" took the key and ran off,unwilling to let us change. So,for continuity we are using DSLR R@H in order to keep it simple in our forum. Keep in mind,all teams were originally DSLR teams and we have stayed true for the last 5+ years while everyone else has changed names.
--
JOIN TEAM HELIX! HERES HOW!

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
said by Icarus:

A part of the problem is that DSLR Team Helix cannot change its name as the "founder" took the key and ran off,unwilling to let us change. So,for continuity we are using DSLR R@H in order to keep it simple in our forum. Keep in mind,all teams were originally DSLR teams and we have stayed true for the last 5+ years while everyone else has changed names.
Sorry to hear of the founder trouble at Folding@Home. I think DSLReports.com would be a fine name. Since both the Folding team and the Rosetta team are both official BBR teams then obviously the DSLReports.com name has official approval. Can I assume you would be amenable to the idea of the Rosetta team name at the project's url being DSLReports.com?

Justakiwi
Premium
join:2004-11-24
new zealand

1 recommendation

said by m00kie:

said by Icarus:

Sorry to hear of the founder trouble at Folding@Home. I think DSLReports.com would be a fine name. Since both the Folding team and the Rosetta team are both official BBR teams then obviously the DSLReports.com name has official approval. Can I assume you would be amenable to the idea of the Rosetta team name at the project's url being DSLReports.com?
I don't understand that. If this forum is now known as Broadbandreports not DSLReports, and all these teams were formed under the forum umbrella as it were - how can any team founder have any control over the team name, especially if he is no longer involved? It makes no sense to me that ANY team is still using the DSLReports title. If we want to be seen "out there" and recognised, then it makes sense to use ONE name only.

If there was to be any consolidation of team names for BOINC I would like to see them use the Broadbandreports title - tagged with their team name. For example: Broadbandreports Team Helix, Broadbandreports Team Starfire etc. That way the teams are all obviously BBR teams, but retain their own project identity.

If we're going to have a mix of Broadbandreports and DSLReports titles, or switch all teams to DSLReports - when that's not who we are anymore, then I don't see any point in changing anything.

It's not a huge deal to me, but I don't see any point in changing something unless you're improving it. JMHO!

--
"Stand up and walk out of your history" ~ Phil McGraw

John Keck
Official Boinc-Er

join:2003-01-20
Vicksburg, MS

1 recommendation

reply to Icarus
said by Icarus:

As mentioned by mOOkie we can use the description 'DSL team helix' with the official name 'BroadbandReports.com'. This makes sense to me at least as long as identical team names are the only way to link BOINC teams cross project.

I would rather have something more to the name though 'BroadbandReports.com BOINCers' or something.

TSWB.org
Premium,ExMod 2000-04
join:2000-07-11
Winnipeg, MB

1 recommendation

Well, the original BBR DC team was simply named DSL Reports and that worked fine. I'd certainly be in favour of keeping the official team names, at least for the BOINC teams, named either BroadbandReports.com or DSLReports.com, whichever Justin favours (that was BroadbandReports.com last time I checked). If we wanted to add something to it, then maybe Team BroadbandReports.com or BroadbandReports.com DC or BOINC.

I can certainly understand that Team Helix can't do anything with the name of it's original project, but I should think that keeping that team name in the description for any adopted BOINC teams might suffice. It would be good for the BOINC teams to have consolidated stats though. And keeping the team names simply the url for the site might help to draw people to BBR.
--
I BOINC, do you?

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
reply to m00kie
BroadbandReports.com BOINCers
BroadbandReports.com BOINC
BroadbandReports.com DC

They all sound great to me thus far (assuming Justin prefers the BBR moniker over DSLR)
--

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
reply to m00kie
NOTE: There is additional discussion here --> »[R@H] Would like your opinions

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to m00kie
preface: just IMO

"If there was to be any consolidation of team names for BOINC I would like to see them use the Broadbandreports title - tagged with their team name"

I agree, we are separate teams here and running different projects as decided by the teams that are here. I sign on at dslreports, the logo is broadbandreports, it doesn't matter to me which, as long as I've been here anyway, always been known by either/both so I would think that would be up to Justin to decide. Agree, it WOULD be more of a presence for BOINC stats to have somewhat consolidation of names also.
Dslreports Team Helix, Dslreports Team Starfire, Broadbandreports Team Helix, Broadbandreports Team Discovery etc. This is the simplest method because the official name of the team and forum won't be changed and the stats can be consolidated for BOINC yet kept separate for the teams.

The confusing part however would be when a team is running two projects. So would FAH BOINC (which is beta), ALSO be called Dslreports Team Helix when out of beta, or maybe Dslreports/Broadbandreports Team Helix R@H, Dslreports/Broadbandreports F@H etc? Quite a mouth full!

used for examples only: Maybe DSLR Team Helix Rosetta, DSLR Team Helix Folding etc. for BOINC projects so all teams here can keep everything the same?

As a member of Team Helix, I would like Team Helix's name to be on the BOINC projects that we run, am thinking most other members of clubs would also. May not be seeing all the in's and out's of the issue however, but a general name decision for BOINC sounds like may need to be decided yeah or nay while all is still young.

(Since this is also related to TH discussion, am posting there also)
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Join a Club

Xaak
You'll find me at T S W B.org
Premium
join:2002-06-19

1 recommendation

reply to m00kie
said by m00kie:

Why not just name all those teams Broadbandreports.com or DSLReports.com (if management prefers). It will give us a much stronger presence in the DC world of BOINC.

I guess that would depend on whether we're one community, or a bunch of separate teams. I'd like to see us as one community, but apparently others want to keep things as separate teams .
--
Xaak

Xaak Consulting, LLC
We don't need no thought control

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
reply to dandelion
It is currently impossible to tie all the BOINC teams together for the purposes of stats without those BOINC teams having the identical name. That is the problem we're facing.

Any variation in the team names at the individual projects will make it impossible for the stats to reflect properly. In a perfect world each project team could have it's own name but allow a mechanism for tieing those names together under the same umbrella. But, alas, that's not possible. That's why I suggested we use the same name and differentiate ourselves in the team description field.

For example:

for Seti@Home
Team name: BroadbandReports.com
Team Description: Team Starfire - Broadband users crunching to find ET!
for Rosetta@Home
Team Name BroadbandReports.com
Team Description: Team Helix - Searching for cures, one protein at a time!

Also, each team would still point to the appropriate forum

--

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Xaak
said by Xaak:

I guess that would depend on whether we're one community, or a bunch of separate teams. I'd like to see us as one community, but apparently others want to keep things as separate teams .
Apparently not. "others" have no way to change DSLReports Team Helix, due to circumstances beyond our control. It isn't correct to profess that anyone currently here and active is somehow holding up a change, when in fact there is nothing we can do.

Comments that suggest divisiveness when it does not exist aren't quite "cricket".

Thanks.

-Matt

Xaak
Premium
I guess I have two questions then. Are you sure that you can't change the Boinc team name when folding comes out of beta? And is there no way to contact your original team creator and ask him to make the name change, even if he won't turn the team over?
--
Xaak

Xaak Consulting, LLC

mig
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-26
Anytown, USA

1 recommendation

reply to m00kie
I can see where those who are doing multiple BOINC projects would like to "consolidate" with a main Team name and then to leave a Description with each individual Team (forum) name. I too am one here who also has crunched over 100K in cobblestones for Team Starfire. I know this is what will need to be done should you want your stats listing under a common Team name for the BOINC projects.

However, I think that Team Helix should be given plenty of time to decide on this, as they have stated they are awaiting possible name change (or merge) with F@H in the BOINC area, not to mention not having control of their current Team name (something I was unaware until this thread).

And though we've all gone through some "interesting" times here lately, I for one am happy to just be able to crunch for R@H and have a place (Team Helix) to do that here.

At the risk of alienating myself from yet one more Team,( and I'm running out of them rapidly ) let's just take a little time and see where Team Helix & F@H is going, especially in the BOINC area.

Xaak
Premium
Good points, but keep in mind that for R@H at least, the name can be changed at any time. It's entirely possible for us to use the same name now, and when FAH comes out with the boinc client, they can take another look at the R@H name at that point.

Right now there's no tie-in between FAH and R@H, so why not address the requests of the BOINC users now, for the time being, and then when the facts are known about FAH BOINC, deal with when/if it becomes an issue. Helix has control of the R@H founder account so it shouldn't be an issue when the time comes to rethink the names.
--
Xaak

Xaak Consulting, LLC

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
reply to mig
Yes, not having founder access sure presents a problem.

I always thought TH held an important place with Folding@Home and Vijay Pande. Important enough to facilitate a name change. I was obviously wrong.

In any case, a recent post in the Helix has made it clear that even if a name change were possible, it would not be welcome.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to m00kie
said by m00kie:

It is currently impossible to tie all the BOINC teams together for the purposes of stats without those BOINC teams having the identical name.
Did not realize this, since all teams have different goals, I'm also not interested in a name change.

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
reply to m00kie
Now that the other thread is no longer accessible we can continue here.

I have folded with Team Helix before. I always felt that made me a member. If presenting ideas or asking questions somehow makes me less, then so be it. I will not stop bringing up ideas or expressing myself because one or two people won't like it. What kind of place would BroadbandReports be if we allowed that to happen.

In any case I will continue to explore the idea of tieing the Boinc teams together. If anyone has any other ideas or opinions I would really appreciate hearing them.
--

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA
reply to m00kie
said by m00kie:

It will give us a much stronger presence in the DC world of BOINC.
What exactly does this mean? Is it stats aggregation, in that common team names across projects have combined stats?

TSWB.org
Premium,ExMod 2000-04
join:2000-07-11
Winnipeg, MB

2 recommendations

Increased overall combined BOINC stats ranking creating greater exposure for BBR DC and for the site overall. It's called success. And bringing the clubs together instead of driving them apart.
--
I BOINC, do you?

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA
said by 72245156:

Increased overall combined BOINC stats ranking creating greater exposure for BBR DC and for the site overall. It's called success. And bringing the clubs together instead of driving them apart.
Thanks for the clarification.

I assume that if I go to the main stats page, and do lots of scrolling, I would find each team. But, with a common name, I would see a single time, with the combined effort metric. Valid assumption?
--
Disclaimer: Resemblance between the above views and those of anyone is purely coincidental. Resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is an exercise for the reader.

perryjay
One of the Ten
Premium
join:2002-01-25
Daytona Beach, FL

1 recommendation

reply to m00kie
Shows how much I know...I always thought we were one big team with some of us focusing on one thing and another group focusing on another. I feel the same way about a team name change as I did about the site name change. If I can still get here then I could care less what we're called.

( by the way, what is the site name now?)

Sysadmin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-07
Elk Grove, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Gomez
Here is a good explanation of what we are tying to accomplish by have one team name for all BOINC projects. »boinc.berkeley.edu/stats.php

When you have all the BOINC projects with the same team name you can get results like this »www.boincsynergy.com/stats/boinc-teams.php

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

3 recommendations

reply to 72245156
said by 72245156:

I'm not so sure success is gauged by the ranking on a stats web-page. If I hear from the top that it's a requirement, then I can adjust my thinking.

Until then, success is pretty subjective. People working on the stuff they want to work on, and having an active community surrounding those efforts seems to be to some degree, "success".

And to address Sysadmin See Profile Understood, but the feedback I get is largely interested in a given project based on many things, but for the most part, not aggregated stats.
--
Disclaimer: Resemblance between the above views and those of anyone is purely coincidental. Resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is an exercise for the reader.

Xaak
Premium
Gomez, while interest, and the reason for crunching a project may not be stats, it's still nice to see the combined efforts, and to be able to go to one place to see how all the BOINC teams here on BBR are doing.

Every team has here has links to their stats listed, and most have milestone posts on a regular basis. While stats may or may not be the primary reason a person crunches, it doesn't follow that the consensus is that stats are unimportant.
--
Xaak

Xaak Consulting, LLC