uniqs
share rss forum feed

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
join:2000-09-11
reply to mig

Re: Suggestion for Team Names

Yes, not having founder access sure presents a problem.

I always thought TH held an important place with Folding@Home and Vijay Pande. Important enough to facilitate a name change. I was obviously wrong.

In any case, a recent post in the Helix has made it clear that even if a name change were possible, it would not be welcome.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to m00kie
said by m00kie:

It is currently impossible to tie all the BOINC teams together for the purposes of stats without those BOINC teams having the identical name.
Did not realize this, since all teams have different goals, I'm also not interested in a name change.

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
reply to m00kie
Now that the other thread is no longer accessible we can continue here.

I have folded with Team Helix before. I always felt that made me a member. If presenting ideas or asking questions somehow makes me less, then so be it. I will not stop bringing up ideas or expressing myself because one or two people won't like it. What kind of place would BroadbandReports be if we allowed that to happen.

In any case I will continue to explore the idea of tieing the Boinc teams together. If anyone has any other ideas or opinions I would really appreciate hearing them.
--
One has to multiply thoughts to the point where there aren't enough policemen to control them - Stanislaw Jerzey

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA
reply to m00kie
said by m00kie:

It will give us a much stronger presence in the DC world of BOINC.
What exactly does this mean? Is it stats aggregation, in that common team names across projects have combined stats?

TSWB.org
Premium,ExMod 2000-04
join:2000-07-11
Winnipeg, MB

2 recommendations

Increased overall combined BOINC stats ranking creating greater exposure for BBR DC and for the site overall. It's called success. And bringing the clubs together instead of driving them apart.
--
I BOINC, do you?

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA
said by 72245156:

Increased overall combined BOINC stats ranking creating greater exposure for BBR DC and for the site overall. It's called success. And bringing the clubs together instead of driving them apart.
Thanks for the clarification.

I assume that if I go to the main stats page, and do lots of scrolling, I would find each team. But, with a common name, I would see a single time, with the combined effort metric. Valid assumption?
--
Disclaimer: Resemblance between the above views and those of anyone is purely coincidental. Resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is an exercise for the reader.

perryjay
One of the Ten
Premium
join:2002-01-25
Daytona Beach, FL

1 recommendation

reply to m00kie
Shows how much I know...I always thought we were one big team with some of us focusing on one thing and another group focusing on another. I feel the same way about a team name change as I did about the site name change. If I can still get here then I could care less what we're called.

( by the way, what is the site name now?)

Sysadmin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-07
Elk Grove, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Gomez
Here is a good explanation of what we are tying to accomplish by have one team name for all BOINC projects. »boinc.berkeley.edu/stats.php

When you have all the BOINC projects with the same team name you can get results like this »www.boincsynergy.com/stats/boinc-teams.php

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

3 recommendations

reply to 72245156
said by 72245156:

I'm not so sure success is gauged by the ranking on a stats web-page. If I hear from the top that it's a requirement, then I can adjust my thinking.

Until then, success is pretty subjective. People working on the stuff they want to work on, and having an active community surrounding those efforts seems to be to some degree, "success".

And to address Sysadmin See Profile Understood, but the feedback I get is largely interested in a given project based on many things, but for the most part, not aggregated stats.
--
Disclaimer: Resemblance between the above views and those of anyone is purely coincidental. Resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is an exercise for the reader.

Xaak
You'll find me at T S W B.org
Premium
join:2002-06-19
Gomez, while interest, and the reason for crunching a project may not be stats, it's still nice to see the combined efforts, and to be able to go to one place to see how all the BOINC teams here on BBR are doing.

Every team has here has links to their stats listed, and most have milestone posts on a regular basis. While stats may or may not be the primary reason a person crunches, it doesn't follow that the consensus is that stats are unimportant.
--
Xaak

Xaak Consulting, LLC
We don't need no thought control

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

said by Xaak:

Gomez, while interest, and the reason for crunching a project may not be stats, it's still nice to see the combined efforts, and to be able to go to one place to see how all the BOINC teams here on BBR are doing.

Every team has here has links to their stats listed, and most have milestone posts on a regular basis. While stats may or may not be the primary reason a person crunches, it doesn't follow that the consensus is that stats are unimportant.
Then it's an issue for the teams to discuss privately.

Additionaly, it might be a valid discussion for teams that ultimately fall under the umbrella of this forum. But the domain of the discussion pretty much ends there.
--

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
reply to Gomez
said by Gomez:

said by m00kie:

What exactly does this mean? Is it stats aggregation, in that common team names across projects have combined stats?
The main attraction of crunching under BOINC is the ease with which you can crunch multiple projects. Many BOINC users are attracted to teams that have a presence in all the BOINC projects. For example if you're a BOINC user and looking for a team, it's easy to be attracted to someone like BOINC Synergy, or Anandtech or any number of others that crunch all the BOINC projects. You know if you're a member of one of those teams and wish to crunch a brand new project that you can find your team represented there.

I realize we have extra steps to go through here with site approval etc. And I know we're a long way off from being one of those BOINC teams that can offer any project to its members. I was only hoping to take us one step closer to that end goal, a name that would unify us across all BOINC distributed computing projects.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA
said by m00kie:

said by Gomez:

said by m00kie:

The main attraction of crunching under BOINC is the ease with which you can crunch multiple projects. Many BOINC users are attracted to teams that have a presence in all the BOINC projects. For example if you're a BOINC user and looking for a team, it's easy to be attracted to someone like BOINC Synergy, or Anandtech or any number of others that crunch all the BOINC projects. You know if you're a member of one of those teams and wish to crunch a brand new project that you can find your team represented there.

I realize we have extra steps to go through here with site approval etc. And I know we're a long way off from being one of those BOINC teams that can offer any project to its members. I was only hoping to take us one step closer to that end goal, a name that would unify us across all BOINC distributed computing projects.
And that's fine.. and that's something we can deal with if/when more teams get added under the umbrella of this forum.

But the wishes of this forum have no bearing on the teams beyond it.
--

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
reply to m00kie
Understood.

Dersgniw
Disco Crunchin
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-10
behind you
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to m00kie
A thought from a Discovery member who has nothing to lose or gain...

I understand wanting to have the same name and the stats thing. I can see that it would be beneficial to have all BOINC teams with the same name... good exposure. Easier to attract more members, shows unity, etc. I think it's a really good idea within this forum.

But, I also think that if it were Discovery, I'd want to keep our name (Team Discovery) as part of the team name. I like the association between our teams on this site, but we are our own little family and enjoy our own identity. Something as small as the word "Discovery" in the team name is important in making that distinction as a unique group. Silly, perhaps.

Would having the same name on all teams make the teams bigger and better? Bigger, maybe. But, as Gomez said, that's only one measure of what is better.
--
Stop Cancer! -- Our Hope

Xaak
Premium
One benefit, something that might be "better", is that we'd be thinking more like a community and less like separate "families". Apparently that's not at all a priority here.
--
Xaak

Xaak Consulting, LLC

MikeC
Premium
join:2001-09-24
Des Plaines, IL
reply to m00kie
It is just silly...

paul
Granpa Paul
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2006
join:2001-07-14

1 recommendation

reply to m00kie
Why don't we start with Starfire? We could change the Seti team name, Einstein, too. Any other teams created from here on out can follow the system also.

Paul

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

4 recommendations

reply to m00kie

Re: Suggestion for Team Names.

I like the attitude of wanting one big team.
And big stats as a result.
(Maybe even if it abandons past stats?)
(Maybe to abandon past stats would give back control?)

It shows a strong support to our host DSLR, and to them we should be thankful for the best of the best in a quality forum space to meet and interact.

I also understand why Team Helix for example, stands only for solving cancer. That is a single-minded focus. I have this focus and it will never change for me personally.

The name is not important, but my heart and soul tells me to do what I can do for Stanford; including attracting more people to be cancer focused. The Team Helix forum could be called Cancer Focus and I would not care if the actual team name changed (if it could)

I hope I am clear on what I am saying. We can be one Team, but I hope there are Helix minded people that have a Forum to be Helix(Cancer) focused.

And though we discuss here, there is plenty for DCS to discuss and refine and recommend.
--
Jim -- USA2K
SEE: |DCWU |FP |FAH |BVX REVIEW |
FWD, Vonage 01/03-12/04, 04/06-now

John Keck
Official Boinc-Er

join:2003-01-20
Vicksburg, MS

2 recommendations

reply to paul

said by paul:

Why don't we start with Starfire? We could change the Seti team name, Einstein, too. Any other teams created from here on out can follow the system also.

Paul
Sounds like a good idea to me. Team Starfire has been leading the way in BOINC all along. That would also increase the project count on our top team from 3 to 5, assuming PP@H and orbit@home are changed as well. It probably will not be enough to bump us to 4th spot but it is a step in the right direction.

As for which projects I'm interested in a BBR team the list is here: »www.boincstats.com/stats/boinc_u···214ea0e5

SliderNC
Master Of Disaster
Premium
join:2002-12-12
Cornelius, NC

3 recommendations

reply to paul
Not to sound like a broken record, but if you think any of us are running any of these projects for stats, you are gravely mistaken. I run multiple projects across my network whenver I feel I want to crunch for a particular cause, just like many others. The problem here is that there is no team unity between the rest of the DCS teams. The BOINC projects aligning under the same name would provide this unity.

usa2k See Profile said it best that in their heart, they know what cause they are crunching for and truthfully, I hope everyone does in your heart. I would like nothing more than to see all teams here united under one team name. For one, it bolsters a sense of unity. It creates a buzz that will attract more people to our forums and to crunch for our various causes.

I think the problem is that projects have the, "this is our sandbox and these are our toys and we aren't willing to share or be openminded about them" syndrome. If we could get past that, we wouldn't have a need for a DCS.
--
I'll believe that when my sh!t turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.
My LiveJournal
Expand your moderator at work

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to m00kie

Bearing the site name is applicable only to teams that have gained approval from management. It's not something that can be done on the spur of the moment. There is an established process in place for doing so.
--
Bush implies I'm a traitor. I'm proud of that.

***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
said by tmpchaos:

Bearing the site name is applicable only to teams that have gained approval from management. It's not something that can be done on the spur of the moment. There is an established process in place for doing so.
Hi, tmpchaos. I'm not sure if you were responding to me directly. If you weren't then pay me no mind

My initial post and any others after it refers only to officially sanctioned teams and all my examples show that. I have not proposed that any unsupported teams include the BBR name. My post was an attempt to begin a discussion about an idea.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

4 recommendations

It's sort of drifted beyond that, though, to the detriment of the original discussion. And it appears to leading right back to the non-existent idea of a mythical 'BroadbandReports Team BOINC'. There are projects, and there are teams. The teams are communities, and may embrace multiple projects. BOINC is primarily a 'software platform to allow distributed computing projects which use volunteered computer resources to run.' So it seems to me that a compendium of BOINC stats is fairly irrelevant.
--
Bush implies I'm a traitor. I'm proud of that.

***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

Xaak
Premium
said by tmpchaos:

So it seems to me that a compendium of BOINC stats is fairly irrelevant.
It's certainly not irrelevant to most BOINC users.
--
Xaak

Xaak Consulting, LLC

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ

3 recommendations

But it should be... it's like making a compendium of the XP users running a particular project. It's the project that matters, not the software running it.

mig
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-26
Anytown, USA

2 recommendations

reply to m00kie
I can't really add much more to this discussion than what I already stated earlier, as I'm in no place to here @ DLSReports.

With that said, I would hope that all parties here could just take a step back and a take a few deep breaths. Please give this "new scopes" & "new projects" some time to adjust so it can grow.

I basically can see both sides points and would hope that the DCS people in the forums who are running BOINC projects can get together and try and come to an amicable solution. It's fence stradling I know ......... but the cause it to great in the long run and I would rather crunch here than go out on my own as that would make it more difficult to attract others to R@H by myself. The site here is just too great an opportunity.

I see our team participants has dropped a bit at R@H. I would hope that there might be some reconsideration on that as I believe the cause is too great and your contributions are too great. It really is nice to see others from different Teams here at DSLR crunching away on R@H. I would hope that there will be more down the road.

Kind of strayed OT, but felt compelled to speak (write)

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
join:2000-12-28
Netherlands

5 recommendations

reply to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

But it should be... it's like making a compendium of the XP users running a particular project. It's the project that matters, not the software running it.
I certainly understand your point, but let's not forget that BOINC is also designed to make managing multiple projects easier by providing a basic platform to which a user can attach one of more projects... and many, many people are actually using that feature because they want to contribute to more that just a single project.

In the last few days I've seen more than one person with 5, and even 10+ projects listed in their stats image/signature on various websites.

Also there are many big teams (Ars Technica, Dutch Power Cows, Rechenkraft.net, Overclockers.com, BOINC Synergy, Team MacNN, FreeDC and many more) who are indeed running their projects under one (umbrella) name, and presenting themselves as one powerful team (the point and reason m00kie mentions in the opening post) while still having distict teams/communities on their respective sites for the individual projects.

An possible idea would be to have something like the following under the team info of the various projects:

Team name: BroadBandReports.com
Team Description: BroadBandReports.com Team {Helix, Starfire, Discovery, ...}

and to provide the respective links and team details.

For promoting and advertising ones entire community (not just the computing clubs), I don't think it is a bad idea to also consider doing this. After all, succes does help to create/sustain a new influx of members from outside DSLR/BBR. Being listed all the way on page number X (with likely X being > 1) of some team overview does not help that.

My few cents.

danny9
Go Ahead, Make My Day
Premium
join:2002-07-14
Clinton Township, MI
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to m00kie
I have to agree mOOkie.
Broadbandreports.com works.
Lets take the stronger presence.