72245156 (banned)
TSWB.org
join:2000-07-11
Winnipeg, MB

1 recommendation

72245156 (banned) to usa2k

to usa2k

Re: Suggestion for Team Names

Well said Jim. It's obvious you can see the big picture.

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra

join:2000-12-28
Netherlands

3 recommendations

Starfish to dandelion

to dandelion
I think there will always be people who are running particular projects for either:

- the goal itself
- the stats

Although this has been discussed many times over the years, personally I don't think it really matters if someone runs a project for reason 1 or for reason 2; either way: work is at last being done, and no matter if one is running a project for personal reasons or for stats, both reasons can and do motivate people.

When it comes to a change in feel/focus for the family/community, I don't think this idea will really have that much impact. Each team will still keep its own name, its own forum, its own goals and therefore I also think that the focus would certainly not shift to stats somehow simply because some global umbrella name is 'synchronised' among our teams.

Basically, like the 'Reaching for the Sky as One' image showed on the old General Distributed Computing forum.

People who are not interested in the stats will probably never notice the difference because it is not likely that those people even look at the combined stats anyway.

All of this is of course also in my humble opinion.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

2 edits

4 recommendations

usa2k

MVM

A small clarification of specific FOCUS statements.
said by usa2k:

Starfire is still Seti oriented.

HELIX is Cancer focused. ...
Better FOCUS statements were said here:
said by Sunny:from http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16018463;iframe=1#16018463 :

- Team Discovery theme is Medical Research - current focus is on cures for cancer and childhood diseases.

- Team Helix theme is Medical Research - current focus is on understanding protein structure and folding with an aim at cure of multiple diseases.

- Team RC5 theme is encryption and cryptography.

- Team Starfire theme - primary focus is search for extra terrestrial life with secondary focus on earth and space science based projects.

FOCUS is the purpose of those forums.

It is my prayer that Stanford will have a cancer breakthrough!

MORE EDITS
Another thought:
distributed.DSLReports.com as a name . . . pointing to
http://www.dslreports.com/forums/16 . . . would even be more unified than just unified BOINC stats.

Just like HELIX is Team #4,
Helix could be distributed.DSLReports.com or similar.
Same focus, same HELIX name on our forum name to Google,
only stats name would be more consistent for all Teams.
(Just my own scattered thoughts and trying to refine/define what is being said here.)

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

Gomez to m00kie

to m00kie

(topic move) Suggestion for Team Names

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 6 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Suggestion for Team Names

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra

join:2000-12-28
Netherlands

Starfish to m00kie

to m00kie

Re: Suggestion for Team Names