All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
expat42451
join:2003-06-20

expat42451

ZoneAlarm Security Suite update to 65 722 000

Dont know whether I was the only one but ZA Security Suite wanted to update this morning to 65.722.000. FYI looking at the product info tab on mine post update, Suite Version, True Vector and Driver all 65.722.000, Anti Virus Vet engine 11.9.1.000 DAT file version 11.9.9835.000 Anti Spyware engine version 5.0.10.0 DAT 01.200606.260 and Anti Spam version 4.8.1.7217. Updated and installed without a problem. Thought I d pass it along

Regards
Carr

John2g
Qui Tacet Consentit
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
England

John2g

Premium Member

»[Free/Paid] ZoneAlarm 6.5.722 today

montana3087
Say hello to my little friend
Premium Member
join:2001-05-03
Denver, CO

montana3087 to expat42451

Premium Member

to expat42451
Well I'm not going to upgrade until the version is more stable. I was just over at the ZoneLabs forum and they are still having lots of problems.
With 6.5.714, I noticed that the network is extremely sluggish when not running ZA(have to exit it because I can't save in games).
expat42451

expat42451

Thats interesting....I have not noticed a lot of changes in resource usage and things seem to be running pretty much as before..... that IS subjective though because this morning I had a video card cack on me and had to change that out...the ZA update was right on the heels of that, first reboot, got the monitors reconfigged and then ZA wanted to update...... I have the earlier version saved in fact the last 2 versions so Im going to run this one for a bit and if I notice any great difference I may roll back one version..... BTW Montana3087 are you running the firewall or the suite?? Sorry Im not all that conversant with the different products...
Thnx
Carr
IGGY9
No Guru Just Here To Help
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Chatham, IL

IGGY9 to expat42451

Premium Member

to expat42451
I'd be interested to know how many people that are reporting issues are doing over the top installs. I know it shouldn't matter. But as we all know this can be the difference between a smooth experience and a headache. I've be recommending everyone try the /CLEAN method when doing installs. Several people had luck getting the previous build to work after following that advice. This may not be a cure all. But worth a try in my opinion.

TK421
Premium Member
join:2004-12-19
Canada

1 edit

TK421

Premium Member

Over-top (Upgrade) installation always seems to work fine with the last several versions of ZoneAlarm Pro (for me anyway). I just finished updating to .722 and, as usual, nothing appears broken. I figure it is worth the extra effort for a clean install with major updates (for example, 5.xx to 6.xx) but I do not expect problems with minor bug-fix updates like this one. I suppose I'm fortunate that none of the issues others have mentioned affected me although I really think the program works okay for most users - we tend to hear more negatives than the casual "updated, works good" type of comments.
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

Granted you will hearing more negative comments than positive. But when you start getting enough negative feedback with many issues being reported you can't ignore that. Many customers are having problems. I've just found it best to backup your settings and do the /CLEAN method. Less chance of something getting hosed. I've just seen to many problems occur with over the top installs. Again - this shouldn't be the case. And your right many times it isn't. Yet many in this forum and others can point to where installing a new build over a previous one has caused not so nice things to happen.
expat42451

expat42451

Iggy

Thanks very much for the info. I have done the last 2 upgrades over the top..... I do save the downloaded installer file with the idea that were I to notice anything unusual that I could go back and do a clean.... That having been said, the suite seems to work as well as the firewall did for me for years.....I have had no problems at all....and after running for a few hours I notice absolutely no difference as far as machine resource utilization goes between this version and the last 2.... I wish I could get my damn browsers to work as well as ZA

Thaks again for the info
Carr

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to expat42451

Premium Member

to expat42451
IGGY - Do you know of any problems this is causing with MSN? I can't seem to do a lot of things with MSN messenger when zone alarm is running. I am using the Pro version with AV, and Spyware enabled.
Kiwifan
join:2003-09-28
New Zealand

Kiwifan to expat42451

to expat42451
Hi Iggy, thanks for the heads up. I got notification from ZA last night and as I'd had no prior trouble upgrading I went ahead. Got myself in all sorts of trouble. Went to the ZA forum and followed SlyFoxs' advice and did the complete uninstall and the **** program upgraded as normal. I seemed to be missing the zpl.dll.

It's all good now so Thanks SlyFox!

Regards, Rusty.
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

While SlyFox's efforts are to be commended. I personally don't think everyone needs to follow the long manual approach. Especially when the /CLEAN does almost exactly the same thing and is easier for end users to do and follow.

As for MSN - there was at least one thread I saw today where a user was having problems with an instant messenger program. But I think that was using AOL through Trillian if I remember right. MSN users in the past have complained that ZoneAlarm causes problems. Sometimes with the messenger software allowing server rights solves most basic problems.

After tomorrow I won't be around. My journey to Seattle starts. I'll be there the middle of next week. So if you don't see any further replies from me. Don't take it as I'm ignoring anyone. My internet access will just be limited. Since I don't own a laptop yet.