uniqs

Quint9
I Need A Bigger Boat
join:2003-03-04

Quint9 to damn

to damn

Re: [OT] MTA Vending machines

said by damn:

Just out of curiosity toady went to ticket booth (or whatever they're called now) and asked dude to 'check out' my Metrocard because I had 'some issues' with it. He said it was absolutely fine
Isn't there some sort of time limit where merchant can's charge for the product/service that you bought 6 months ago? I worked with CC processing before and remember something like that.
Get serious, this isn't a merchant - its a government entity. When they catch up with you, and they will, they will extract every cent you owe them. You have no defense and you'll be lucky if they don't try to have you arrested for fraud.

This is definitely a "pay-me-now-or-pay-me-later" situation.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

1 edit

The Dv8or

Premium Member

Holy f**k! The paranoia is out in full effect! "You must pay, or the SS will come to your house with guns and drag you to hell".

Lighten up a little. Has it occurred to you that there are all kinds of protections a credit card purchase offers? This isnt exactly tax evasion on 10 million dollars here. The worst that happens is that you get a letter stating there was a mistake and that you will be charged, and you will wind up paying the same amount you would have in the first place. I'd say the worst case scenario is pretty good here. Ride it while you can, and hope it doesn't come back at you, and if it does, no big deal.

Quint9
I Need A Bigger Boat
join:2003-03-04

Quint9

said by The Dv8or:

Holy f**k! The paranoia is out in full effect! "You must pay, or the SS will come to your house with guns and drag you to hell".

Lighten up a little. Has it occurred to you that there are all kinds of protections a credit card purchase offers?
What the OP has described here is FRAUD. Can it be proved in court? Maybe, maybe not, but make no mistake, taking something of value that you know doesn't belong to you is theft in both a moral and legal sense.

When (not if) the MTA corrects its records and comes for its money "credit card protections" won't count for a fig.

The OP will have to cough up all the money out of his own pocket - and any attempt to evade that responsibility could be met with theft charges being filed.

Will it? Probably not. Could it? You betcha.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

How is it fraud? What crime did he commit? He conducted a standard transaction using a perfectly legal credit card in his name. At no time did he do ANYTHING illegal.

And yeah, if it all catches up, he will have to pay for his transactions--something he would have done anyway. I never said for a second that he should not.