Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

[DC General] Officially recognizing Predictor@home at DSLR

(mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move)

"Predictor@home is a world-community experiment and effort to use distributed world-wide-web volunteer resources to assemble a supercomputer able to predict protein structure from protein sequence. Our work is aimed at testing and evaluating new algorithms and methods of protein structure prediction."

Past,present, and future:
»predictor.scripps.edu/scientific···e_cp.php

Information on founder: »www.scripps.edu/e_index.html

My personal reason for running P@H is " In this project, we will explore problems related to the discovery and design of novel small molecules to act as potential drugs against specific diseases, i.e. computational drug design, utilizing the CHARMM software and protocols for molecular docking." I have my Mom with Alzheimer's on some of these newer drugs, if I can help create more, want to try.
»predictor.scripps.edu/scientific···hp#dpath

I would like to see who all is interested in P@H and officially ask DCS to adopt this as another worthy project for BOINC here at DSLR.
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Join a Club

jopfef
Home of the BeaChi Boys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

2 recommendations

Houston, the Eagle has landed.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
reply to dandelion
Am curious who is running P@H?

Spectre93
Premium
join:2001-06-07
Wallingford, CT
reply to dandelion
Is Predictor still active? I abandoned that project months ago because it appeared to be on autopilot...questions in the forums were going unanswered, their client was constantly crashing, news updates were months old, and no one running the project could be found...hopefully things have changed over time....that was my first BOINC project and I was initially very fond of it...

Tried visiting their website and its timing out....not a good sign

Spectre
--
Planetspectre 7.0 - Radio Spectre - Zomb Torrents

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to dandelion
This once was the link to the stats, which included the names of those running it: »predictor.scripps.edu/team_displ···amid=195

That doesn't work for me anymore.

marcelle19
cross
Premium,MVM
join:2002-03-02
Phelan, CA
reply to Spectre93
Hey, Spectre, your handle is right above your avatar...we remember it, you don't have to sign your posts.

I hope I didn't offend you, what'syername...

marcelle19
cross
Premium,MVM
join:2002-03-02
Phelan, CA
reply to dandelion
I tried them twice, dandy: both times, only the first link loaded, and somewhat slowly.

When I clicked on one link it loaded - very slowly. I clicked on another; same thing.

Neither the second link or the third in your post would work.
--
Some people think they gain through dishonest means, never realizing that in lying, cheating, and other dishonesty, they are losing pieces of themselves, which they can never recover. SPECIAL

John Keck
Official Boinc-Er

join:2003-01-20
Vicksburg, MS
reply to dandelion
I still have PP@H as a back up project but don't crunch it normally. There is a team Starfire starter team there.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

I believe Dandy is wanting to request that team be officially approved and adopted.

m00kie
Yes, Nurse Ratched
Premium
join:2000-09-11

1 recommendation

reply to dandelion
I think you already know I support making all teams "official".

I haven't run P@H in a while and then only for a short time so I can't add too much to the discussion.

Spectre93
Premium
join:2001-06-07
Wallingford, CT
reply to marcelle19
said by marcelle19:

Hey, Spectre, your handle is right above your avatar...we remember it, you don't have to sign your posts.

I hope I didn't offend you, what'syername...
Force of habit....I post on many boards and sometimes its easier to read through threads with the name at the end of the post than constantly looking to the left to see who posted it.
--
Planetspectre 7.0 - Radio Spectre - Zomb Torrents

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dandelion
I have run Predictor only for about 3 weeks and project hasn't been down during that time, all links worked when I posted. I'm hoping Monday or Tuesday, all will be fixed for you to read the goals/plans of the project. My secondary project on BOINC is running now (Rosetta). From my read, Predictor seemed still pretty active, but we will find out once site working again and can look closely at all.
I'm assuming, and correct me if wrong, that once a project is over, not being used etc., it will be announced and possibly transferred to another project? My last read on the site shows a very positive outcome of the latest scientific data from the project however don't remember any dates posted.

I would suggest suspend judgement on the project until the site is back and we all can look more closely at it.
--
Join a Club

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure
kudos:3
Predictor was down at our Boston location yesterday, and I have no idea what its status is at this time. It was active on 06/21/06.

There was comment in one of the labs yesterday that there was Rosetta work flowing, but no Predictor work. However, I haven't run into anyone who has heard that the project will not be up and running again.

Note that Scripps discusses a power outage for Friday and Saturday, 06/23- 24.

»predictor.scripps.edu/
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to dandelion
All links above in this topic are now working for me.

--
Team Helix May 2006 Roll Call - Team Helix Forum - My Folding@Home Farm - Join Us?

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Thanks, just saw!

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 recommendations

reply to dandelion
I have done further research, following the links originally posted, the ideal of P@H sounds good and worthy of DSLR project along with Rosetta. However, in google searching, there seem to be numerous complaints in forums about the lack of feedback from the site and the main people running the forum. The most current information found was March 06. Therefore, last week I emailed some questions to boinc@scripps.edu Basically reiterating some concerns of participation of leadership I read in the P@H forum and asking if there are more current links to anticipated future projects for P@H. IMO for the present, we may want to hold off any decision for P@H. I am still going to run it until a definite answer, but am going to alternate with R@H on one CPU along with FAH on the other with my PC.
--
Find A Cure!

TSWB.org
Premium,ExMod 2000-04
join:2000-07-11
Winnipeg, MB

1 recommendation

Thanks for taking the time and effort to fully research the project. It was Team Starfire's original BOINC backup project for SETI@Home, even while SETI BOINC was still in beta. Support was much better back then.
--
I BOINC, do you?