how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cablenut5

join:2005-09-05
Wilmington, DE

[modem/router] Updates for Westel 327W DSl modem

I have a Westel Model A90-327W15-06 modem. I'm trying to configure it for wireless use, but noticed it only supports WEP not WPA.

Can I update it?

stony

join:2004-04-13
Mineola, NY
go to verizon.net/versalinkupdate

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid

join:2001-01-06
Brick, NJ

2 edits
reply to cablenut5
Here is a link the page with a firmwire update:

»netservices.verizon.net/portal/s···aLinkFix

PDF User Guide:
»westell.com/pages/verizon/versalink.jsp

In the PDF, it states this is for the A90 and B90, but the headers only list B90 so not sure if WPA applies to the A90 model (it appears to apply to the B90)

NOTE: In this thread, »New Westell Firmware upgrades? - someone posted that they have an A90 and when they updated the firmware from that first link, they were able to do WPA.

[8F] The NyQuil Kid
--
[8F] The NyQuil Kid comes into town not looking for trouble...
n00bz gang up, but he ain't seein' double,...
pulls and draws, his deagles two...
n00bz litter the ground you know it's true.

cablenut5

join:2005-09-05
Wilmington, DE
Thanks! It worked great!

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid

Brick, NJ
No problem - glad it worked out for you.

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

Lance_Uppercut

@verizon.net
reply to cablenut5
My Westell VersaLink 327W modem/router is model A90-327W15-06 currently running firmware VER:03.00.63a. I went to "verizon.net/versalinkupdate" and downloaded "A90-327W15_VER_03_02_01.exe". I then navigating to "http://192.168.1.1/update.htm" and browsed to that local file. I get a "Upgrade Failed, Bad header CRC" error.

Further research on my end indicates this EXE file is actually a full Windows installer app with the new firmware wrapped up inside. As a Mac user, would VOL please provide me that plain firmware file so I manually update the firmware myself?

Thanks.

Waynewright

join:2006-06-28
Exton, PA
I spoke with Don, a TX supervisor in the Mac team. After several calls he had with Westell the word is that VOL does not and will not support Macintosh for firmware upgrades even when wireless security is at risk. Billing is sending me a new VersaLink but that's only a 50/50 chance that the new WPA (not WEP) wireless security patch will have already been installed on it. Failing that, I have to go bug someone with a Windows laptop to come by and apply the firmware since VOL won't allow me to do it myself since I'm on a Mac. If I cancel now I get hit with an early termination charge. Come August I'm going back to Comcast. Decent customer support is that I ask for and VOL does 1ot have it.

Truly pathetic.

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid

Brick, NJ

1 edit
Does Comcast/Motorola provide firmware updates for Mac clients?

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

Waynewright

join:2006-06-28
Exton, PA
They have WPA now. That's all I need to hear.