Search similar:

uniqs

ImpalaFan
@lewmanracing.com

ImpalaFan

Anon

2000 Impala turn signal lights

Hi...

I own a 2000 Impala and recently the turn signal lights will work/not work intermittenly. The hazard light switch does work and when it is engaged all 4 lights flash so I suspect it's not a faulty bulb.

When the signal lights don't work it's both sides, as I was making a right hand turn and they stopped working, so I tried the left side and it wasn't working. Tried hazards and they worked.

So I suspect it may be a flasher on my '00 Impala, but the dealer tells me these are $70.00. The last flasher I bought was in the 1980s and it cost about $5.00 dollars.

Anything else I should check?

Thanks for listening

Sam

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

santy

MVM

Flashers in todays cars are electrical instead of mechanical. They are sort of like relays basically, thats why it's so expensive. I would check either at the dealer or a mechanic you trust and make sure that the turn signals have a seperate flasher from the hazard flasher before buying one. Some cars, since they went to the electrical type flasher combine them so one flasher takes care of both the turn signals and the hazards.

Only other place to check that I can guess at would be the turn signal switch and wiring in the steering column.. I am not that familar with the Impala's.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to ImpalaFan

Premium Member

to ImpalaFan
»www.faqfarm.com/Q/Where_ ··· 1_Impala
quote:
Where is the turn signal flasher on a 2001 Impala?

Answer

On my 2000 it is part of the emergency flasher. Hey Faye== It is under the dash on the left side of the steering column. Goodluck, Joe

The turn signals and emergency flashers are both controlled electronically. The module is behind the emergency flasher switch and requires partial disassemble of the dash to access it
There are several screws: 2 on the ends under the fuse covers 2 on the panel under the steering wheel and 2 by the odometer Gently pull the face off the dash. Don't break off the clips. A replacement is about $40 from the dealer.

Desi
Premium Member
join:2002-05-05
Kanata, ON

Desi

Premium Member

Just to add to what Doctor Olds posted, do you have a column shift or console shift? Console shift is a piece of cake to remove. Column shit, the best way I find is to leave the key in the ON position (with the car off), apply the E-Brake, and pull the Shifter all the way down to "1". Make sure you keep your foot on the brake while you do this (just incase). You'll still have to twist it around to get it out, but it'll be much easier.

Another thing that isn't mentioned is the little ring around the ignition. Carefully pry it out before you start. Use a plastic knife to make it easier.

The Hazard Switch just snaps in through the back. If you've never removed the front dash bezel before, I'd say it'll take an hour or two MAX.

My family owns both a column shift (Base) and an floor shift (LS), and I've removed the dash several times on both for various reasons. If you need any help, just ask.
TypeR15
join:2002-04-09
Brooklyn, NY

TypeR15 to ImpalaFan

to ImpalaFan
I had the same thing on my 2000 malibu. It was the hazard switch that had to be replaced. Hope this helps.