Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

Re: AC Wiring causes wierd chirping sound

Strange Sound.zip
858,334 bytes
Cricket Like Sound
(Strange Sound.aiff)
OK, I went through the tracks off the gospel album I digitized for a friend. You can hear it distinctly in the right channel 3 secs in.

I just got a remote read gas meter last month, and that is the only remote read device I have. The sound (and recording) predates all that.

I even here it through the amp connected to my computer (obviously you really only hear it when not playing anything). The setup is all run through a decent, grounded UPS. Sometimes, you hear it a lot more than other times.

While I and others have heard this sound in their homes, too, the only single device I have every been able to say I think it is coming from is a transformer for some low voltage under cabinets halogen lights. When they are on, I can hear the sound in the general area where it is.

But, again, I have heard this in an empty house without even curtains on the window!

insomx
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Canada

insomx

Premium Member

A surge surpressor for the telephone connected to the ground?

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

1 edit

fireflier to jrs8084

Premium Member

to jrs8084
I think you're overlooking something:

The fact that this problem has apparently followed you through multiple houses. In the unlikely event a single house had some weird wiring fault that caused this, the odds that subsequent houses would have the same fault are astronomical.

Next, even if you do have remote meter reading, did you have remote meter reading at ALL the other houses exhibiting this effect? If so, then maybe that's it, if not?

If this is an issue where it's coming from your house wiring, it is most likely something you're bringing with you every time you move--like a faulty piece of equipment--perhaps a refrigerator or some electronic devices.

You need to stop and think about what's common about ALL the places you've observed this.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

2 edits

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Edit: nvm

n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium Member
join:2001-10-24
Malta

n1zuk to fireflier

Premium Member

to fireflier
said by fireflier:

I think you're overlooking something:

The fact that this problem has apparently followed you through multiple houses...

Perhaps it's a faulty circuit in the tracking device that was planted in is head by the NSA?

(See? We should of called Jack Bauer in the first place!)
galacticroot
join:2004-05-17

galacticroot

To figure out whether or not this sound is actually coming over the power lines, you could use a magnetic pickup coil connected to your computer's audio input and placed near something like the power cable to your house. Check to make sure it can't pick up any acoustic sounds. You should be able to hear a 60Hz buzz and nothing else. Start recording at the highest quality you can. Don't compress the recording. When you actually hear the sound again, stop the recording and see if it was picked up.

Doing that should provide confirmation that it is in fact electrical and also would provide a much better sample for analysis.
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public

said by galacticroot:

To figure out whether or not this sound is actually coming over the power lines, you could use a magnetic pickup coil.....
Better yet setup an array of microphones and record the time when the sound arrives. Then you can triangulate the source.