Search similar:

uniqs

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

Why don't groups...

Why don't groups release DivX DVD rips with subtitles right away (with English movies)? Rather they release them separately... it's only a tiny text file.

And only a fraction of .torrents are packaged with them...

I am just curious?

Cause I have a friend new to English and subtitles really help... so I must find them every time... Also many hearing impaired could benefit in the USA and through out the world... Also many people from various countries could benefit...

I would like to know what is the estimate of people that do need/want/can make use of subtitles? 1%? 5%? 10%?

I'd like to note that many groups do release the subtitles with the release...

HellBound9
The 7 Day Theory
join:2004-10-18
Eastside

1 recommendation

HellBound9

While there at it why don't the groups pay for your internet connection and buy you a new computer while there at it? Getting something for nothing isn't good enough anymore, people want everything for nothing.

nfx
The Wire
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC

nfx to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
said by inGearX:

Why don't groups release DivX DVD rips with subtitles right away (with English movies)? Rather they release them separately... it's only a tiny text file.
Not everyone wants to read the subtitles in a movie.
said by inGearX:

I am just curious?
Is this a question or a statement?
said by inGearX:

Also many hearing impaired could benefit in the USA and through out the world... Also many people from various countries could benefit...
There are that many hearing-impaired pirates in the world?
said by inGearX:

I would like to know what is the estimate of people that do need/want/can make use of subtitles? 1%? 5%? 10%?
Would you like just the percentage of Americans? Or the entire world? Just the numbers, or would you like some graphs? Pie-charts? How about organizing them by race, creed, color, national origin, sex, political affiliation, or religious beliefs ?

inGearX
3.1415 9265
New York

inGearX

said by nfx:

said by inGearX:

Not everyone wants to read the subtitles in a movie.
But a % of a people do. And maybe even a big % of people. And no one said to embed subtitles into the pictures, just a tiny text file that goes along.
said by nfx:

said by inGearX:

I am just curious?
Is this a question or a statement?

That is a question within a statment...
said by nfx:

said by inGearX:

Also many hearing impaired could benefit in the USA and through out the world... Also many people from various countries could benefit...
There are that many hearing-impaired pirates in the world?
See mate hearing impaired people are MUCH more prone to use the internet - because in a text based world their hearing disability is next to irrelevant...

Since most of them use the internet for many years and for many hours a day there is a larger % of them who know torrenting then % of regular people...

Now nor am I or you are deaf... but what if you or I were or someone from our family God forbid or someone we care about... like the people around us (if you do care about them...)

Now this is also not just for the deaf, many people are new to English especially with particular accents...

Even at times for you - the volume may not be loud enough to hear (if you are on a bus or to quiet of a release...)

If it was a standard to release *.srt file next with the .avi that would give everyone just another option more, you, me, deaf, foreigners...
said by nfx:

said by inGearX:

Would you like just the percentage of Americans? Or the entire world? Just the numbers, or would you like some graphs? Pie-charts? How about organizing them by race, creed, color, national origin, sex, political affiliation, or religious beliefs ?
1:1000 Americans
1:500 World wide
1:2 aging people (you and me and our parents...)
Data is out there mate... I just do not want to waste my time digging the statistics (that has all of what you mentioned above - what is irrelevant) seems like you do not care any way...

"Worldwide, at least 5% of the population (1 in 20)"
"the global deaf population is roughly estimated to be 0.1% of the total population (1 in 1000)."
- »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaf

nfx
The Wire
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

nfx

Premium Member

said by inGearX:

See mate hearing impaired people are MUCH more prone to use the internet - because in a text based world their hearing disability is next to irrelevant...

Since most of them use the internet for many years and for many hours a day there is a larger % of them who know torrenting then % of regular people...
Sounds like an opinion, and not a fact.

Your point about how 1 in 20 people are deaf doesn't seem pertinent enough for this subject. Something more suiting would be to find out how many deaf people who pirate movies would benefit from subtitles.

Maybe you should consider being less sympathetic to these movie and television pirates, and instead consider the fact that these people aren't as handicapped as you make them sound. Close-captioning is available for both TV and movies. Courses for English are everywhere.

BTW, I like how you regard your time in such a high esteem. I find it interesting how you would think that other people's time would be less important than yours. I'm sure this really motivates people to help you with your every whim.

inGearX
3.1415 9265
New York

inGearX

said by nfx:

Something more suiting would be to find out how many deaf people who pirate movies would benefit from subtitles.
Please read your question again;
Isn't it clear that 100% of deaf people who download a *.avi would benefit from the subtitles....
said by nfx:

BTW, I like how you regard your time in such a high esteem. I find it interesting how you would think that other people's time would be less important than yours. I'm sure this really motivates people to help you with your every whim.
Doesn't it occur to you that it takes 60 extra seconds to extract the subtitles file from the DVD and include it with the release as a *.srt file...
Then every single person who wants the subtitles - looking through a number of sources - what takes on average 2 minutes for each person x # of people (hundreds) and that is what I call wasting resources...

Anyway I am in contact with a # of groups and apparently it's usually a technical difficulty why the subtitles are not included (eg as they are not available)

Mate we are not here to fight; but rather live a better quality of life.... and at times solve problems for others as well...
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to inGearX

to inGearX
Why not just find the subtitle yourself ?

If not then you can always make it yourself.

Its not difficult to do.

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864 to inGearX

to inGearX
For some reason I can't get a point of this discussion...Meanwhile, HellBound got an excellent point here

nfx
The Wire
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

nfx to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
said by 90115534:

Its not difficult to do.
He won't because his time is too precious and important.

inGearX
3.1415 9265
New York

inGearX to 90115534

to 90115534
said by 90115534:

Its not difficult to do.
I always do, in fact I have a DB that I downloaded (from »subscene.com/ back in a day) which is 95% of what I need...

I am just curious and am just concerned for others out there...

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed to nfx

Premium Member

to nfx
said by nfx:
said by 90115534:

Its not difficult to do.
He won't because his time is too precious and important.
...and scene groups won't because their time is too precious and important, too.

Question is answered. Thank you and goodnight!

nfx
The Wire
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

nfx to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
If you're so sincerely concerned for all the unfortunate souls in the world who are crying for the subtitles in their pirated videos, then you should start releasing the subtitle files yourself.

x30n_
Not Sure What Color Pill To Call It
Premium Member
join:2000-09-14
Newport News, VA

1 recommendation

x30n_ to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Hey! Why dont the groups release a braille version of the movie so the blind can feel what the scene looks like!!!

At this point, being deaf doenst sound all that bad.. Atleast they are spared from hearing what your whinning dribble sounds like. Come to think of it, I wish I was blind. Then I wouldnt have read this topic.

whatever-jackhole
@optonline.net

whatever-jackhole to inGearX

Anon

to inGearX
All these responses and so far no one has the correct answer. The POINT the OP was trying to make is when groups release DVDRips, well they rip it from a DVD and the subtitles are already included in the DVD. So why not rip em also and release along with the movie??? That is the question.

The answer is simple - it's not required by groups to include subs when abiding by scene rules.
quote:
Subs, Interactive Menus, Trailers:
- OPTIONAL (if and ONLY if all other requirements have been met).
Look at the TDX rules.

Yea all DVD's have braille too.....remember that people.

x30n_
Premium Member
Newport News, VA

1 recommendation

x30n_

Premium Member

No the correct answer is:

Most of the rips are from someone that works for the studios and was able to get an 'advance' copy that isn't ready for public use or from someone else that video recorded the movie.

Other then that, DVDRips from moves that have been released to the public have subs riped with them. Outside of that, you dont get them.

I cant believe there are some people that cry over crap they are getting for free. If I was part of a group and all I heard was whiners, I would make sure my NFO's told you to STFU and do it yourself.. OH, but you cant so here is another release w/o subs!
x30n_

x30n_ to whatever-jackhole

Premium Member

to whatever-jackhole
No the correct answer is:

Most of the rips are from someone that works for the studios and was able to get an 'advance' copy that isnt ready for public use or from someone else that video recored the movie.

Other then that, DVDRips from moves that have been released to the public have subs riped with them. Outside of that, you dont get them.

I cant believe there are some people that cry over crap they are getting for free. If I was part of a group and all I heard was whiners, I would make sure my NFO's told you to STFU and do it yourself.. OH, but you cant so here is another release w/o subs!

whatever-jackhole
@optonline.net

whatever-jackhole to x30n_

Anon

to x30n_
WRONG!!! Quit downloading from P2P for a change Mr Braille Man. DVD's are shipped out weeks before retail. Groups that have access to these have the real deal. They just aren't sold to the public for weeks. LOOK at the OP's quesiton
quote:
Why don't groups release DivX DVD rips
there I highlighted the very keywords for you---->DVD rips. We're not talkin about screeners or as you say
quote:
from someone else that video recored the movie.
Uhh you mean cams and TS'??? I think you're already going blind - misreading words, can't tell the difference between dvd's and cams....I think that braille idea of yours will come in handy real soon.

x30n_
Premium Member
Newport News, VA

x30n_

Premium Member

said by whatever-jackhole :

WRONG!!! Quit downloading from P2P for a change Mr Braille Man.
I don't download from p2p.

DVD's are shipped out weeks before retail. Groups that have access to these have the real deal. They just aren't sold to the public for weeks.
uhmmm, ok sure. So your telling me that Walmart is sitting on a stock pile of DVDs that will not be release for weeks?

LOOK at the OP's quesiton
quote:
Why don't groups release DivX DVD rips
there I highlighted the very keywords for you---->DVD rips. We're not talkin about screeners or as you say
quote:
from someone else that video recored the movie.
Uhh you mean cams and TS'??? I think you're already going blind - misreading words, can't tell the difference between dvd's and cams....I think that braille idea of yours will come in handy real soon.
Your right, I was talking about cam and TS's. Whats your point? I have seen screeners on DVD's without subs and now I am starting to think your a bigger idiot because I was talking about movies that are still in the theater and movies that havent been publicly released.

You will not see subs in them because the groups don't want to take the time to but them in to make whiners like you happy.

whatever-jackhole
@optonline.net

whatever-jackhole

Anon

quote:
uhmmm, ok sure. So your telling me that Walmart is sitting on a stock pile of DVDs that will not be release for weeks?
Ever hear of Blockbuster? They get em weeks before retail.
quote:
I have seen screeners on DVD's without subs
HAHA you've got no idea what a DVDRip is do you? Just because a screener is on a dvd DOES NOT make it a DVDRip. DVDRips (in the scene) are ripped from true retail DVD's, which is the point of this whole thread. NOT cams, NOT TS', NOT VHS Screeners, and NOT DVD Screeners.
quote:
You will not see subs in them because the groups don't want to take the time to but them in to make whiners like you happy.
Point out exactly in any of my posts where I was whining about groups not putting subs on anything they release. I am curious. I stated why they DO NOT put subs in - it is an OPTION. It is not a requirement per TDX rules.

So when comparing my answer to your answer which is - "well it's cuz they don't want to take the time to make whiners happy". ROFL oh man you sure are schooling me. Maybe they will put that in the next TDX rules and credit you Mr. Braille.
whatever-jackhole

whatever-jackhole to inGearX

Anon

to inGearX
And just to show groups have access to pre-retail dvd's. Here is an NFO excerpt for "Inside Man" - which doesn't go wide till Aug 8. And today is July 21. Almost 3 WEEKS!!

title: Inside.Man.2005.R1.NTSC.DVDR-ThP
Û²Ý
Û²Ý rls.date:07/21/06 genre: Action
Û²Ý theater.date:03/24/06 rating: 7.5/10 (17,292 votes)
Û²Ý retail.date:08/08/06 runtime: 129mins
Û²Ý size: 93x50mb

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium Member
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA

sapo to x30n_

Premium Member

to x30n_
Um, Mr. anon here is right x30n_.

While it is valid motion that doesnt require much effort on the groups part there isnt much we can do other than say they just dont want to. Also, if you really need subtitles that bad simply rent or buy the DVDs, dont be a lazy pirate, this crap here isnt a right, youre lucky that you are getting anything.

About other countries, theres a large amount of them that dont want English subtitles so therefore they obtain their native language subtitles by other means and they are used to doing it this way.

shearer
Northern Lights
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
Asia

shearer

Premium Member

said by sapo:

...dont be a lazy pirate..
Best thing I heard all week !

x30n_
Premium Member
Newport News, VA

x30n_ to sapo

Premium Member

to sapo
said by sapo:

Um, Mr. anon here is right x30n_.

While it is valid motion that doesnt require much effort on the groups part there isnt much we can do other than say they just dont want to. Also, if you really need subtitles that bad simply rent or buy the DVDs, dont be a lazy pirate, this crap here isnt a right, youre lucky that you are getting anything.

About other countries, theres a large amount of them that dont want English subtitles so therefore they obtain their native language subtitles by other means and they are used to doing it this way.
That is fine if he is right for this one. Honestly, I would think its someone one inside of the studios that does this and not retail stores that holds the DVDs (3 weeks even) before release and getting them posted on the net. It just doesnt make business sense to waste warehouse space on inventory you cant put out for weeks.

Also, I guess I did get a little heated under the collar just because he comes in anonymous and too chicken shit to let everyone know who he is. I wish this site didn't allow anonymous posters. IF you have something to say, say it. Just dont hide and say it.

But still, if you dont like what is being released, then do it yourself and dont cry about not having it your way. You know, this isnt Burger King..
x30n_

1 edit

x30n_ to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Jackhole-

Do you have a copy of the 2005 DVDR releasing standards? I did find the 2002 and it looks like all groups are in violation of not including subs unless the video bitrate is compromised.

Here the link to the 2002

»upload.wikimedia.org/wik ··· Dvdr.png

Not saying I am fighting for the people who complain, but if you want to use the TDX against me, then i might as well take a look at it. Also, do you work a blockbuster? Is that how you know you have a movie in stock 3 weeks before its public release?

Please dont refer me to the DivX releasing standards as we are talking about DVD's

SSX4life
Hello World
Premium Member
join:2004-02-13

SSX4life to whatever-jackhole

Premium Member

to whatever-jackhole
bac in the day when I did Divx / Xvid / H.264 rips for a group that shall remain nameless we didn't even hardcode them in like stated above. Instead we used container formats like .mkv or .ogm! This allowed us to encorprate everything we wanted into a single file and gave the user the option of turning subs on and off (not to mention gave us alot more fonts and styles to play with!)

imho just deal w/em because they are often very benifical to those who want em and it's only 1k.

Personally the most annoying thing I have found is having hardcoded subs into the .avi when I would not want em or vice versa.

--ssx--

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium Member
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA

sapo to x30n_

Premium Member

to x30n_
Why not? The first line of the OPs post says "Why don't groups release DivX DVD rips with subtitles right away", its nothing new that subs are included with a good DVD-R release.

whatever-jackhole
@optonline.net

whatever-jackhole to x30n_

Anon

to x30n_
quote:
Also, I guess I did get a little heated under the collar just because he comes in anonymous and too chicken shit to let everyone know who he is. I wish this site didn't allow anonymous posters. IF you have something to say, say it. Just dont hide and say it.
Why, just cuz I post anonymously well I couldn't possibly be right huh? It's not like TDX rules are some foreign words to people who downloads scene releases. And the OP had a legitimate question, and everyone just went on and on and flamed him. And yes I post anonymously cuz it's not a "requirement" to sign up. And for the record I do sign up at other forums if it is required.
quote:
Do you have a copy of the 2005 DVDR releasing standards?
»d0pe0r.1go.dk/rules/tdrs2k5.nfo
quote:
Also, do you work a blockbuster? Is that how you know you have a movie in stock 3 weeks before its public release?

Nope don't work at blockbuster, and never had. I was giving you an example. There are other places that receive them weeks in advanced also. Besides some groups have stated in their NFO's in the past if anyone works at Blockbuster to contact them.
whatever-jackhole

whatever-jackhole to sapo

Anon

to sapo
quote:
Why not? The first line of the OPs post says "Why don't groups release DivX DVD rips with subtitles right away", its nothing new that subs are included with a good DVD-R release.
Exactly. The subs are already ON THE DVD. It's not like groups have to go out and find them or make them up. They're already included.

x30n_
Premium Member
Newport News, VA

x30n_ to sapo

Premium Member

to sapo
said by sapo:

Because from what I have read, subs are optional with XviD (as the DivX codec is banned)rips. Key word optional, so there must be something with subs and XivD rips that degrade the video quality and removing them helps.
Here the link to the TDX2005 Standard: »upload.wikimedia.org/wik ··· 2005.gif

So I wanted to see what was required for DVD rips as it started to go towards that and SUBs are required on DVD rips and those are dvd's that are already released or going to be (as jackhole so kindly explained it to me)released very soon.

Now from the link that jackhole (thanks) gave, I see this in it also:

---------------------------
Subtitles:
. Keep them all. If certain subs present a problem, it is the
rippers discretion to retain.
. Closed Captioning must be retained if no subtitles are present on
the source disc, and if CC are present.
----------------------------

So, if subs present a problem, they are dumped even on DVD rips.

So I guess there is no guarantee that subs will come with them, unless someone is able to make a proper.
Expand your moderator at work