spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

System

http://192.186.0.1

I am at a loss on how to config my netgear RT314 Router.
I am a NTL user I have had a Terayon cable modem TJ210 running OK.
I have now disconneced the modem from the PC and conneced through the router.
Is there any guide on how to config this router?

I am a novice at home networking but I have gone through the config,I have checked the winpcfg drop down menu,all the information looks OK.

From my PC I have launch my web brower and type hppt://192.168.0.1 I cannot get into the log-in box.

Any help would be appreciated.

edhample

join:2001-07-31
Land O Lakes, FL

A couple of obvious things first...
1. Did your cable modem connect you to the internet when connected directly to the computer?

2. Now that you have connected your cable modem to the router, is the Internet link light on the RT314 on?

3. Is the computer connected to one of the LAN ports on the router? Is the corresponding link light on?

4. If the router's link lights for the cable mode and/or the computer are not lit, are you using straight-thru cables or cross-over cables. You must use straight thru Cat-5 ethernet cables with the RT-314.

5. Check your IP settings - remove ALL fixed address including default gateway and DNS settings. Set the TCP/IP stack to "obtain an IP address automatically". Save these settings and reboot immediately. After reboot, run WINIPCFG. You should now have an address in the range 192.168.0.x, a netmask of 255.255.255.0, default gateway of 192.168.0.1, and DNS address of 192.168.0.1. If these are your settings then you are ready to go.

Next - the less obvious things...

6. Do you have any special access software installed in order to login to your cable network? If so, you will likely need to remove it.

7. Can you ping the router? Pull up a DOS box and type the command PING 192.168.0.1. If you don't get a positive response, check all your cabling (again) and check your network drivers (you do have TCP/IP installed - right??)

I have installed a couple of DSL and Cable-modem systems for friends and neighbors using the RT-314s. Most of the time they install without any problem. I have run into a couple of cases where the login software used by our local cable provider refuses to let the router do its job. In these cases, the quickest resolution is often to remove ALL network software components (MS Networks, TCP/IP, NIC driver), reboot the system and reinstall the network stack.

phoenix911

join:2001-03-17
UK
reply to Anon

Hi

Are you trying to get the connection working or configure the router? Have you had a look at this site »homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.···ips.html for connection/modem help?

Regards

Bill

DrTCP
Yours truly
Premium,ExMod 1999-04
join:1999-11-09
Round Rock, TX
reply to Anon

Did you release and renew your IP on your PC so that your PC will be assigned an IP from 192.168.0.x network so that it could talk to your router. If you have switched without doing this your PC will be retaining its ISP assigned IP address.

If you have been using a static IP you should set your PC to 192.168.0.x (where x is NOT 1).

LOLYLO

@rain.fr
reply to Anon

i had th same prob :

u must not mark »192.168.0.1 but just 192.168.0.1 ...

it's working like that for me.

ClmsnTgrFan
Thrifty, Not Cheap
Premium
join:2001-06-02
Crestview, FL
reply to Anon

problem

said by PCFLY:
hppt://192.168.0.1
Others have given excellent advice above, but I just noticed one thing. It should be "http", not "hppt".

bbadger

join:2000-11-17
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Anon

Re: http://192.186.0.1

I just hooked up a new cable modem after dumping my DSL and had a similar problem.

I couldn't get the cable modem to talk to the Netgear until I set the WAN MAC Address to that of the computer that was connected to the cable modem when it was first configured.

You can do this from
Menu 2 - WAN Setup

MAC Address:
Assigned By= IP address attached on LAN
IP Address= 192.168.0.2

bigsy

join:2001-07-18
ireland
kudos:1
reply to Anon

NTL users should just have to reboot the CM to learn the new MAC address of the router. MAC address spoofing to a LAN PC isn't necessary.

System
reply to Anon

Just now for the first time I have " go an IP address automatically".

With a lot of booting and rebooting of my PC and router. After the last reboot, I checked winpcfg and all the setting are there ready for me to go?

Is there any way to get the IP address automatically setup without having to go through all that booting and rebooting of my PC and router. I have been trying for hours to get this to setup?

Ok,so I am going to open netgear's WIZARD SETUP.
What do I do next? how do I go about filling in the HOST Name, Domain Name etc etc...

bigsy

ireland
reply to Anon

Numerous rebooting shouldn't be necessary - I had an RT314 running beautifully on NTL for almost a year with regular uptimes of many weeks.

For the NTL service, the router should basically work 'out of the box'. Your CM should just need rebooted (once) to pick up the MAC address of the router. Your LAN PCs, if set to automatic IP configuration, will pick up a LAN IP address from the DHCP server on the RT314 which is enabled by default. And that should be it. So long as you're running firmware 3.25 and not trying to run any servers behind the RT314 you're pretty safe with that. No configuration via the wizard is necessary (although giving the router a name is OK) and the default settings are fine.

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA

said by bigsy:
...Your CM should just need rebooted (once) to pick up the MAC address of the router.
If you clone the MAC to the router, this is not necessary. The CM will always see the same MAC!

For this reason, I recommend it even on locations where authentication is not based on MAC.

bigsy

ireland
reply to Anon

But surely the CM will also always see the same MAC from the router as well, so what's the point in cloning in this case? The NTL service does not require a NIC MAC to be registered, so once the CM reboots and learns the router's MAC no further reboots are necessary.

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Premium,Mod
Venice, CA

If you clone, you don't even need to reboot the CM. (saves you a minute).

Plug in the PC directly, refresh the IP --> you're online.
Plug in the Router, refresh IP on the PC ---> you're online.

The CM doesn't even notice the difference, it always sees the same partner MAC and is always ready to talk.

bigsy

ireland
reply to Anon

OK, for that extra minute I'll defer to your expertise !!

System
reply to bigsy

I am a novice at home networking if you could go through that step by step I would appreciate it.

I can only see this on the display on winipcfg drop-down menu.
IP address 169.254.103.79
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0.
Default Gateway
DHCP Server 255.255.255.255.

bigsy

ireland
reply to bigsy

Looks like your PC isn't picking up an IP address from the DHCP server on the router. The Netgear defaults to LAN addresses in the range 192.168.0.X. There are several possibilities. In the first instance:

Make sure you have a standard (NOT cross-over) cable connected between the PC and the RT314.
Is the connection light on the router on, to show that it is talking to the PC on whatever LAN port you've plugged the cable into, either at 10 or 100 Mbps? If not check the cable at either end and check the network card - is it installed correctly?
Is your network card in the PC set to pick up an IP address automatically from a DHCP server?
Have you changed the default settings in the RT314 from acting as a DHCP server?

DrTCP
Yours truly
Premium,ExMod 1999-04
Round Rock, TX
reply to Anon

169.254.x.x addresses are automatically assigned by Windows when DHCP client fails to get an IP. You may have a cabling problem or your PC might have booted before the router was connected. In this case, you should release and renew your IP or reboot. Make sure the router is on before the PC.

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Premium,Mod
Venice, CA

It seems bad cabling or disabled DHCP server on the router. Was it a refurbished unit? How are the link lights? Has the router worked at all, maybe its a DOA.

If the router was just off during PC boot, it will fix itself automatically within minutes once the router is on. A PC with a self-assigned APIPA address keeps looking for a good server and will switch over soon after one appears.

System
reply to bigsy

The cables came with there units i.e. the cable that came with the modem goes from the modem to the LAN port and the other cable goes from the network card to number one port of the router. The lights on the router LNK/ACT-100, INTERNET-LNK/ACT and the PWR are all on.

The networking card must be installed correctly I am on the internet now, just working with the PC/modem only.

The router will not pick-up the auto IP

wzoo1

join:2001-06-28
MI, USA
reply to Anon

You typed http wrong the config address is »192.168.0.1 ! The username is admin and the password default is 1234!
Hope this helps....
--
Will

DrTCP
Yours truly
Premium,ExMod 1999-04
Round Rock, TX

said by wzoo1:
You typed http wrong the config address is »192.168.0.1 ! The username is admin and the password default is 1234!
Hope this helps....

Obviously, if you read the subject (of even your own post) he is trying to reach the correct address!

hook5

join:2001-07-14
Sweden
reply to Anon

I had the same prob.It turn out to be ZonAlarm?

Jamming777$
Time Is Running Out
Premium
join:2001-07-25
USA

reply to Anon

Interesting HOOK, ZoneAlarm with what settings? Or did you just remove a tool that was blocking what it thought to be an unauthorized (by you) transmission?
[text was edited by author 2001-10-30 18:58:41]