MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to Eric Martin

MVM

to Eric Martin

Re: The government should take it over.

said by Eric Martin:

I personally think it's stupid to allow businesses to monopolize voice/tv with fiber.

I think the government should own and run it. It was a historical mistake to allow private business to own cable networks. Zero competition.

I like the way the public utilities are run.
Say what? I have ONE choice for electricity/gas. PG&E.
Where is the competition in that?
Eric Martin
join:2005-06-19

Eric Martin

If it's a real government owned business then there will not be some huge profit margin.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
said by dadkins:
said by Eric Martin:

I like the way the public utilities are run.
Say what? I have ONE choice for electricity/gas. PG&E.
Where is the competition in that?
I think he means public owned utilities, which is good because they're only commitment is to the customer and not to some sit on their ass and collect money types (investors). The anti municipality people are just ticked off because someone can run a cost effective network and private people don't get rich which in part is why these municipal networks are forced in some cases to only be allowed to offer end user services though third party private providers.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins

MVM

He speaks of monopolies and competition, I'll ask again - where is the competition?

competition

The act of competing, as for profit or a prize; rivalry.
A test of skill or ability; a contest: a skating competition.
Rivalry between two or more businesses striving for the same customer or market.
A competitor: The competition has cornered the market.

Even if it is a co op or publicly owned... no competition, right?

Utilities usually dont have competition, it's either xx brand or nothing. THAT is a monopoly!

firephoto
Premium Member
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

said by dadkins:

Even if it is a co op or publicly owned... no competition, right?

Utilities usually dont have competition, it's either xx brand or nothing. THAT is a monopoly!
Right but the monopoly has gov't regulations that prevent it from profiting just to profit. Any profit is just necessary for infrastructure build out or upgrades, nothing gets pocketed it's all folds back into next years budgets or reserves and any repeating excess usually gets turned into lower rates for the service provided which is the way of balancing out the budget.

It's not a perfect world but it's many times more beneficial to the consumer than corporate and large business offerings.
Ahrenl
join:2004-10-26
North Andover, MA

1 recommendation

Ahrenl to dadkins

to dadkins
The competition is between the service providers. The infrastructure owner is NOT is competition, because there is no way for a fair market to exist if they were.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins to firephoto

MVM

to firephoto
Government? Not pocketing? Where do you live my friend?

Even in the Free market, the Gov is lining their pockets. What makes you think that they wouldn't if they were running it?

You are right about one thing... this is not a perfect world - from any angle.

firephoto
Premium Member
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

said by dadkins:

Even in the Free market, the Gov is lining their pockets. What makes you think that they wouldn't if they were running it?
Of course they are, but guess what? who cares, because this a specific service oriented part of the gov't. They provide a service and get paid for that service and take that money in order to provide that service, nothing else. so this big bad gov't giving you a service (power, water, sewer, internet, or whatever) has lots of money in it's pocket to give you more of that service. how terrible!

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

Michieru2 to firephoto

Premium Member

to firephoto
Sounds more like non-profit organization and not a C-corporation for profit.
ross7
join:2000-08-16

ross7 to Ahrenl

to Ahrenl
said by Ahrenl:

The competition is between the service providers. The infrastructure owner is NOT is competition, because there is no way for a fair market to exist if they were.
Please explain that concept to the goddamned TELCO and CABLECO fanboys here. Perhaps your clear, succinct statement will sink in if it be seen, read, and repeated oft enough...

PSEG
@gte.net

PSEG to dadkins

Anon

to dadkins
What is your kilowatt cap on electricity?