share rss forum feed

jjgb10
Premium
join:2004-11-24
Kasson, MN
Reviews:
·Charter

AT&T through Utopia... No CAP

AT&T offers ISP service through Utopia fiber. I heard that if you get AT&T as your ISP, there is no cap and it is truly unlimited. Here is the link:

»www.usa.att.com/fiber/index.jsp

I doubt that AT&T would cap their connection at all. And you get to ride over AT&T's backbone which is pretty good.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

said by jjgb10:

AT&T offers ISP service through Utopia fiber. I heard that if you get AT&T as your ISP, there is no cap and it is truly unlimited. Here is the link:

I doubt that AT&T would cap their connection at all. And you get to ride over AT&T's backbone which is pretty good.
Now that is what I call, "If you can't beat them, join them."

RayW
Premium
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT
kudos:1

said by batterup:

said by jjgb10:

Now that is what I call, "If you can't beat them, join them."
A certain bought politician from Saint George is to thank for that. All Utopia is allowed to be is a pipe between interested parties.
--
I am not lost, I find myself every time.

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

What's wrong with that? As a matter of fact this is the way it should be. If Utopia was allowed to offer content then I bet this influx of competition the communities connected to Utopia wouldn't happen. Remember the Bells owned the infrastructure, were providing content to customers and agreed to share their lines back in 1996. Look how well that turned out.

RayW
Premium
Layton, UT

said by SRFireside:

What's wrong with that? As a matter of fact this is the way it should be. If Utopia was allowed to offer content then I bet this influx of competition the communities connected to Utopia wouldn't happen. Remember the Bells owned the infrastructure, were providing content to customers and agreed to share their lines back in 1996. Look how well that turned out.
What does that have to do with a bought law limiting what the PEOPLE can do? Also remember that the Bells had tax breaks and other perks including forced right of way to do what they did. Also, as I read some history, it looked like many phone systems were started by governments and later sold to various private companies that eventually merged to form Ma Bell (simplistic statement, yes).

Interesting how I read on DSLR about how Bush (and in the past, Clinton) is stealing the rights of the people, yet many people think it is ok for something like Qwest to buy the same thing.
--

SRFireside

Houston, TX

I still don't know what you're getting at. From what I have heard Utopia is essentially an infrastructure built so ISP's can offer their services to those connected to Utopia. That means plenty of competition, including AT&T finally having a competitive offering. I don't see the downside here. What did this bought politician do?

RayW
Premium
Layton, UT

said by SRFireside:

I still don't know what you're getting at. From what I have heard Utopia is essentially an infrastructure built so ISP's can offer their services to those connected to Utopia. That means plenty of competition, including AT&T finally having a competitive offering. I don't see the downside here. What did this bought politician do?
You are correct now. Originally it was to also provide services. Qwest bought a law that made it just the pipe that it is today. Despite what many people wanted. What we have and what was originally planned (according to what my city originally presented to us) is not the same thing. And if rumours are correct, we were lucky to keep Utopia as it is, and not have it banned totally.
--

SRFireside

Houston, TX

Personally I see this as a good thing. Especially if in the end you get what was originally intended. Maybe the city was playing a very good bluff. Start off with an announcement for a municipal ISP, let the telcos fight it, "compromise" with an open pipe, end up with what you wanted in the first place.

RayW
Premium
Layton, UT

Could be, I do not go to the insider meetings, but it does let a lot of outsiders say that Utopia has "problems".
--

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ
reply to jjgb10

Utopia sounds like the name of Marx's worker paradise. Wouldn't it be great if the government supplied all of our needs/