how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kyalumtwin

join:2001-10-12
Lexington, KY

Earthlink VS Verizon

I posted something earlier about not receiving my dsl kit from earthlink yet. Then today in my mail I received an offer from Verizon for DSL. Free Modem and Self install, first 3 months @ 29.95 and then 49.95 after, No Contract. Anyone have any insight on this. Thanks.

caligirl

join:2001-10-09
Twentynine Palms, CA
i'm going to try it... i actually did everything all wrong.. decided to keep earthlink.. i currently have dsl.. signed up.. read the horror stories.. decided to try cable (adelphia).. have it.. decided to try DSL using verizon.. cancelled EL (never rec'd modem so never logged on so no termination fee).. now waiting for EL to release line so i can order verizon and test it.. then i will decide whether to stay with DSL (but using EL to keep my email and web) or go with cable! UGH! i made too much work for myself!

ravenink

join:2000-10-29
Atlanta, GA
reply to kyalumtwin
going to keep going till you find a company you like?:)

aliebe

join:2001-09-02
Blairstown, NJ
reply to kyalumtwin
well I did Verizon thing about a year ago...hardest part was getting Verizon to not lose my order. Once that I happened and I got sync, everything was ducky. I moved to a different location, but kept the same number, only this time I got earthlink for the bandwidth. it took 2 weeks to provision (probably less, I just never hooked the modem up) the line. Not a single problem until the 9/11 thing. First and only significant outage (over 5 minutes). Regularly 1200+ down/81 up.

so in the battle of Earthlink vs. Verizon, I say EL wins! this is based simply on available bandwidth and their ability to hook me up within the expected provision date.

then again a friend of mine got Verizon in January with no problems, and has been happy with it ever since.

I just say whomever you decide to go with, just stay on top of preinstall info

ECR3
Os Cixelsyd

join:2001-03-03
Bronx, NY
reply to caligirl
said by caligirl:
i'm going to try it... i actually did everything all wrong.. decided to keep earthlink.. i currently have dsl.. signed up.. read the horror stories.. decided to try cable (adelphia).. have it.. decided to try DSL using verizon.. cancelled EL (never rec'd modem so never logged on so no termination fee).. now waiting for EL to release line so i can order verizon and test it.. then i will decide whether to stay with DSL (but using EL to keep my email and web) or go with cable! UGH! i made too much work for myself!
Geez, someone get me the popcorn and the clipboard; (hehehe) so she went... and then did... -oh heck just hope you get what you want, lol
--
"You've only got one life to live, so hec live it up." -EmpireCityRay

ECR3
Os Cixelsyd

Bronx, NY
reply to aliebe
said by aliebe:
... so in the battle of Earthlink vs. Verizon, I say EL wins! ...
Here, here, ELNK DSL over Verizon DSL any day. BTW more grim stories of Verizon (a.k.a. Horizon for its horrible service) DSL than that of ELNK DSL.
--

System
reply to kyalumtwin
YES!! VERizon IS crap do not bother!
I tested verizon for first month and the upload/download were crap!! The upload is so weak and since I play games I used to get packet loss everywhere which pissed me off and made me order eln dsl for 10 bux more, verizon used to be 40 bux now its 50??

aliebe

Blairstown, NJ
it's amazing what a difference 6 hours can make...

I will be moving back to my original verizon house. And I will be going with Verizon. The kicker of the deal is that earthlink says that I have to cancel my current DSL, move it, and take on another 12 month contract. well I won't be there for 12 months. Verizon is offering same speeds for $10 more per month as EL, but no contract!

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things go...

It sucks living in a small town with only RCN 1-way as an alternative

aliebe

Blairstown, NJ
I really wanted to edit my previous post, but oh well

"It sucks living in a small town with only RCN 1-way as an alternative

wink wink nudge nudge...Cablevision get your asses in gear and finish wiring out town so I can get OOL!!!!

ECR3
Os Cixelsyd

Bronx, NY
reply to Anon
said by mexiking:
YES!! VERizon IS crap do not bother!
I tested verizon for first month and the upload/download were crap!! The upload is so weak and since I play games I used to get packet loss everywhere which pissed me off and made me order eln dsl for 10 bux more, verizon used to be 40 bux now its 50??
lol, another unhappy Horizon DSL customer with a grim story, hehehe On another note all major DSL ISP's charge $49.95 for a months DSL connection, it's just them jumping the bandwagon.
--

ECR3
Os Cixelsyd

Bronx, NY
reply to aliebe
said by aliebe:
I really wanted to edit my previous post, but oh well
Still could have and yet could edit your post, you have a 12 hour window before you have to ask the forum's host to edit the post and why note why it should be edited.

said by aliebe:

...get your asses in...
Yikes I'd use a synonym like rear in that place given the Mods in DSLR.
--

mballard
Premium,ExMod 1999-03
join:1999-11-15
Los Angeles, CA
said by ECR:
Yikes I'd use a synonym like rear in that place given the Mods in DSLR.
That usage is fine. Now if he called someone an ass, that would be different, but saying that a company should get their asses in gear is a different story.

ECR3
Os Cixelsyd

Bronx, NY
said by mballard:
That usage is fine. Now if he called someone an ass, that would be different, but saying that a company should get their asses in gear is a different story.
Ahhhhhhhh That's great to know you are lenient however some lurking Mods (not volunteering to host the current forum) would be quick to stick their $.02 in. Yet great to know the difference with in the ELNK/MSPG Forum, so one can state ass when referring vaguely yet can't call them an ass directly. Well that's more ass than I've had in a while, lol
--

neuronix

join:2000-10-12
Philadelphia, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kyalumtwin
You'll get the same speed with Earthlink (w/ Genuity) as you will with Verizon. You'll also be free to run a webserver and use your own domain's e-mail.

The only thing you won't be free to do is leave within the next year.

In any case, I would stay with Earthlink just because if you cancel it will take at least a month, possibly more, just to CANCEL your Earthlink line with Verizon, then another month or so to get it hook up with Verizon again. Kinda screwy ain't it? Verizon takes forever to release your line (supposedly 15 business days, usually more, especially if you're leaving them) once the cancellation is put in.

caligirl

join:2001-10-09
Twentynine Palms, CA
reply to ECR3
i'll keep the clipboard.. you just need the popcorn!!!!! actually... we have a bad habit of over-researching everything! and we're doing the same thing with broadband!!!! as much as i want to keep my email and web... i can't in good conscience get involved with a year long contract with a company that i have been so unhappy with for the last year.. and yes.. i could have left.. but if they are supposed to be #1.. i'd hate to see how bad #2 is... so i'm testing and will go with whoever wins my tests!!!

ECR3
Os Cixelsyd

Bronx, NY
said by caligirl:
i'll keep the clipboard.. you just need the popcorn!!!!!... but if they are supposed to be #1.. i'd hate to see how bad #2 is... so i'm testing and will go with whoever wins my tests!!!
I'm still getti therapy after trying to figure out your first post in this thread, lol j/k ELNK DSL was actually #2 overall 'til a while back when they were bunked, though they still carry a modified ad slogan, "The #1 Provider of The Real Internet" I'll state this much ELNK DSL no matter how good or bad beats AOHEll, so they can be #1 in reality whatever that means, yet my guess is ease of getting on regardless of DSL or Dial up connection.
On another note the popcorn taste great got any butter? and any developments on your end, if yes hold up I'll need a pen and that clipboard back, hehehe Keep a smile
--