All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Black Bear0
join:2006-07-29
Marenisco, MI

Black Bear0

Pac Wireless ODH24-13 or Pac SA24-12. How to tell?

Morning everyone.

Been lurking for a while on the boards and learned alot of good information. I have run a search on these two antena's but didnt come up with any hits. Finally had to register so I could ask this.

recently purchased a Pac Wireless ODH24-13 it was drop shipped from Pac directly. no markings on the outside of the box at all. Yesterday I started the testing on it and some things made me wonder if I was dealing with a sector antenna instead. ( like no signal 2 miles south with line of site on it and great signal north) I looked and found the literature that came with it and found literature for a Pac SA24-12 or 16 and some mention of a ODH24-13 as well. I am trying to figure out how to be sure what antenna I have. Can you tell me if there are differences? Is there any visible differences in the two that would tell me?

I will have to take a climb to look and see the antena so please give me as much detail as possible on what I would be looking for

Thanks everyone.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

I thought the pictures on www.pacwireless.com would be a dead giveaway. The sector should be evident by the downtilt hardware. Rotating the CPE should give you an idea about polarization as well, one being vertical and the other horizontal based on the models you mentioned.

You mention 2 miles South but not the distance North. Are you sure you are not dealing with a tilt/elevation problem comparing North to South? How close to plumb did you install the omni? At what elevation? Is there much elevation difference between the North and South locations?
Black Bear0
join:2006-07-29
Marenisco, MI

Black Bear0

LLigetfa,
Thanks for the response. The Downtilt Hardware is what has me concerned I have it on this unit. After a bit more digging on PAC's website I have come to the conclusion that I dont know what antena it is. Its certainly not the ODH24-13 that I ordered because I can tell from looking at it its not 49 inches tall. Its also not a SAH24-16 either for the same reason. I dont believe its the SAH24-12 either because that is to small.
Tonight when the heat drops off I will get on the roof and tilt it down to find out what I am dealing with.
Thanks for the help though. Just to answer your other questions It is plumb atleast very close its at 50 feet of elivation and there is not really a difference in elivation between the north and south. Elivation may be part of the problem as well and I can go another 10 feet which I think i will.
However like I said I have dirrect line of site to the south on the location ( across a lake) so I was surprised that I could not connect.
The only connections I got were dirrect east to north nothing else from south to east. the west side is not needed at all. which brings me to this questions. Since It looks like I am going to be pulling this antena down is there something else I should consider using. ( I have been relying on advice of a supplier and a friend) My access point is a deliberant DLB2310.

Thanks again for the reply.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

If it has downtilt hardware it almost certainly is a directional (sector) antenna and not omni. Whether it is vertical or horizontal is another thing. You may be able to make out whether it is an Alfred slot by feeling for the slots behind the raydome or shining a bright light on it.

Don't forget that shooting over water can be difficult and you should allow at least 25 - 35 more feet of height above LOS for fresnel. You want to ensure 100% free fresnel zone.
Raven1275
join:2001-03-10
Island Pond, VT

Raven1275 to Black Bear0

to Black Bear0
The omni has slots (and tape) on both sides of the antenna. Sectors have them only on 1 side.

The 13dbi omni is ~ 4feet tall, same length as the 16dbi sector.