spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Lenagainster
join:2005-01-07
Silver Spring, MD

Lenagainster

Smooth sailing or sailed away?

No recent posts on Cavtel. Does that mean everything is going well or have all the folks abandoned Cavtel?

Lena

hsindogg
Premium Member
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD

hsindogg

Premium Member

I'm still here...waiting for FIOS.
Lenagainster
join:2005-01-07
Silver Spring, MD

Lenagainster

You'll like it. My Cavtel bill (at 5 cpm LD) was about $68 to $72 with taxes, a few LD calls. My FiOS is $34.95 and my AT&T VOIP is $33 ($25 unlimited plan, $2 for call filtering, and taxes). The FiOS is rock solid, the VOIP has many more features than Cavtel's deal. (I couldn't even block an 800 number with Cavtel's six number blocking; now I can block 20, including 800 numbers, and send another 20 directly to voicemail).

Lena
breakYOstuff
join:2001-02-24
Charlottesville, VA

breakYOstuff to hsindogg

to hsindogg
I'm in the same boat as hsindogg. Once FIOS arrives, I'll likely be gone. Though I do run a small email server on Cavtel's service, and I'd have to give that up if I moved to FIOS, because I understand servers are a no-no with Verizon's FIOS.

My speeds with CavTel are quite good now, once my service was restored about a 1 month ago after a mysterious downtime of about 10 days. Somewhere around 4MB down, 500K up, and pretty consistent throughout the day/night.

I'm on the ADSL2 + Phonom package (but my VOIP phone has never had a dial tone. I'm using an "unsupported" configuration, with my D-Link router being in front of the Phonom gizmo.) I saw a recent post by none other than hsindogg that had some suggestions on my unsupported VOIP configuration. I'll give those settings a shot sometime soon, and see if I can't get my phone working. Obviously, phone is not that important to me since I've been living without it for months. I just wanted the ADSL2 speeds.

At any rate, my ADSL2 + Phonom is $47.74 per month. The price ain't bad considering it's split amongst 3 roommates, but the service sure could use some improvement, particularly the customer-service and billing people.