uniqs

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

Updating Ad-Aware causes blue screen

I've had this issue for quite some time and cannot resolve it. Here are the details:

IBM Thinkpad R51
Windows XP Professional
512MB RAM
60GB HDD

System runs very well but for some strange reason when I install Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE (latest version) and attempt to update the definitions I get a blue screen. It has happened to me repeadetly and my system just restarts.

I've ran scans with just about every anti-spyware/malware/adware software and my system is clean - however this problem continues.

Any ideas?

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Have you tried an earlier version?

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

Yes, i've tried earlier versions and they all seem to cause this problem.

Lynch
Premium Member
join:2000-06-15
Minneapolis, MN

Lynch to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
Have you tried uninstalling, running regcleaner (deleting all references to Lavasoft) and reinstalling?

USR56K
join:2000-05-20
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz
Post the minidump file that was created (c:\windows\minidump\) and it'll give us a better idea what the real cause is.

wingspar
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Oregon

wingspar to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
If you have any other anti-spyware/malware/adware software running in the background, try closing them one at a time to see if that helps. That way, you will find the program that is causing the problem by elimination. Of course, this may not be the problem at all, but I know that running some anti-spyware/malware/adware software programs at the same time can possibly cause problems.

TheGiant
Sup
join:2001-03-28
Tipp City, OH

TheGiant to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz
Try safe mode

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
Have you tried ignoring AdAware altogether, as though it never existed, and using something else? That solved some problems for me.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

It's really not necessary for me to install Ad-Aware it's just one of those things that you want to figure out.

I really don't use Ad-Aware much on any of my computers anyway. I've been ignoring this problem for a while but wanted to post on here to see if anyone else has experienced it.

How do I post the minidump file? It's in DMP (?) format.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

said by gigahurtz:

How do I post the minidump file? It's in DMP (?) format.
Upload a minidump file as an "attachment":

»Site FAQ »How do I post attachments and screenshots?

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

Mini073006-01.zip
25,643 bytes
(Mini073006-01.dmp)
Mini073006-02.zip
21,224 bytes
(Mini073006-02.dmp)
Here are the minidump files.

USR56K
join:2000-05-20
Lynnwood, WA

1 recommendation

USR56K to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz
Both crashes were caused by, w22n51.sys, which is your wireless driver. I suggest you upgrade it.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

3 edits

auggy to gigahurtz

Mod

to gigahurtz
Just to follow up on USR56K See Profile's post, you are receiving a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL generated by the w22n51.sys.

See the following link for users experiencing the similar problems (14th post references the problem with Ad-Aware):

»www.wifi-forum.com/wf/sh ··· p?t=3225

As suggested by USR56K See Profile try updating the wireless drivers:

»www-307.ibm.com/pc/suppo ··· ThinkPad

Or try disabling the Intel ProSet software and just go with Windows built-in wireless software:

»forum.us.dell.com/suppor ··· d=193330

Edit:

It is always preferable to update to a driver that "fixes" a known issue as there may be, hopefully, other positive changes in the driver thus increasing overall system stability.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Looks like the problem was in my wireless card driver. I updated it and everything seems to be working well.

Thanks again.