CurtesyFlush

Premium Member

Old pics of the area

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Let this thread be the forum's receptacle for our old pics of
Southern California. Can you sticky this thread Seagreen?

I'll start with some 50's and 60's pics of Downtown.
CurtesyFlush

1 edit

2 recommendations

CurtesyFlush

Premium Member

Angels Flight

Click for full size
Click for full size

Click for full size
Angels Flight funicular railway, the "Shortest Railway in the World." Intersection of Third and Hill. The tunnel is the Third Street tunnel under Bunker Hill. The first pic shows what it looked like in the early 50's before it was dismantled for the Bunker Hill Urban Renewal Project, which also razed almost every building in the picture.

The second pic is the exact same view back in 1898, before Downtown had grown big enough to gobble up what was then a well-to-do residential area.

The third pic shows what it looks like after being taken out of storage and rebuilt in 1996.

I vividly recall taking the Angels Flight ride with my Grandfather back in the late 50's.

Over at 208 N. Broadway, a double cable car facility named Court Flight also ascended Bunker Hill, ending up at the top of Hill Street at an observation tower. For 5 cents one could "Take this car for the highest point in this city from which the finest view of the city, mountains, and the islands of the ocean can be had."

Court Flight was abandoned in 1944. Bunker Hill was graded down in the early sixties. A tree lined mall today connects Broadway and Hill. 208 N. Broadway is now occupied by the Music Center and the Dorothy Chandler.

EDIT: I added two more views of Angels Flight to show the rapid change that hit that part of town around the turn of the century. The 1903 shot is a world of difference from the one taken in 1898. The quiet, tree lined residential street with its stately Victorian homes and what appears to be a neighborhood church have given way to no nonsense masonry low rise commercial buildings. Only one home from 1898 remains, the turreted manse in the upper left. A tunnel now penetrates the hill under what had been a steeply inclined street.

By 1910 the transformation was complete. No trace of what had been a sleepy neighborhood a mere 12 years ago remains. Downtown has arrived.

Notice the "Vegetarian Cafeteria" in the 1910 shot. I guess we do have an earned reputation for that kind of stuff.
CurtesyFlush

CurtesyFlush

Premium Member

Dana Point and Capistrano

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Pic 1 is what Dana Point, the actual geographical point, and Dana Cove looked like when I was a kid. As young kids, we used to play in the tidepools down in the bottom of the pic. As I got older I'd snorkel dive out further and get my limit of abalone off the rocks.

Pic 2 is downtown San Juan Capistrano in the late fifties. From the top you see Honeyman's orange groves going from center to right. The long line of narrow metal buildings towards the lower part of the groves are the packing sheds and Cole's Egg Ranch, where we'd buy all our fresh eggs. In the center is the Mission complex. North of that are the residential areas of Mission Flats (off El Horno St) and Mission Hill just above the Flats.

Just below the Flats you can see the oval track of Capo Union High School's athletic field. (YAY COUGARS!) The HS complex itself is to the right of the aforementioned residential areas. The large blocky profile of the Williams Gym is visible in the south portion of the complex. That's where I attended my first ever dance, a sock hop, back when I was in 7th grade. The Capistrano Branch of the ORCO Library now sits where the gym stood. I'll never forget how much trouble they had knocking that venerable old building down. They finally had to bring it down with dynamite. And they were afraid it would fall in an earthquake.

To the left of center sits the red brick Capistrano Hotel. It was razed in the early sixties. Oddly enough, many of the buildings in this photograph still exist.

Pic 3 is looking north up the valley in the early sixties. Notice how I-5 consists of a mere 2 lanes in each direction. The road to the left of the freeway is old 101, now known as Camino Capistrano. The beginning of the curve in the freeway (just out of sight to the right bottom of ther pic) is now known as the Las Ramblas curve, where the offramp for PCH and Dana Point takes off.

The hill and groves with the eucalyptus and houses in the left foreground, what we called Rosan's Hill, has been completely shaved down and now sprouts some auto dealers. To the left of the hill is a faint green smudge with some asphalt below it. That's the NE portion of the old Capistrano Airport, a small grass strip general aviation facility. It roughly paralleled the flood control channel of San Juan Creek, visible here as a white stripe going left to right. That's the genesis for the street that now bisects that area, Avenida Aeropuerto. There used to be air shows there in the summer, complete with vintage fighters from both wars.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

dogma to CurtesyFlush

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush

Re: Old pics of the area

Click for full size
...and the password is: Marlon Perkins
Click for full size
Who was Lucy pestering in that episode?
Do these count?

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

coxta to CurtesyFlush

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush
Great stuff RFC. I thought I saw superman flying over the Daily Planet.

CurtesyFlush
Bababooey, fafafooey, tatatoothy.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-23
Fontana, CA

CurtesyFlush

Premium Member

Restaurant Row, La Cienega Blvd

Click for full size
Click for full size
Tail 'o the Cock: Gone
Huddle: Gone
Bob Dalton's: Gone
Richlor's: Gone
Sarnez: Gone
Stear's for Steaks: Gone

Pic 2 is Googies Coffee Shop, Fifth and Olive, Downtown. Gone but not forgotten, as the quirky architectural style it employed gave the name to all follow on 50s coffee shop architecture, such as that featured by Ship's and The Wichstand.
CurtesyFlush

1 recommendation

CurtesyFlush

Premium Member

San Clemente

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Pic 1 is looking east on Del Mar Ave just west of Ola Vista. The large white building at the top of Del Mar on El Camino Real is the former BofA branch/music shop/restaurant/whatever it is now. It was one of the first buildings to be built in town back in the 1920s. The lack of homes on the hills combined with the fresh scars of grading date this photo as approx 1958-59, the time span they punched the last section of I-5 through to the OC/SD County line.

See that white 1953 Ford pickup with the red rims parked in front of the hardware store? That's old Sanchez's truck, and by 1969 it will have a blown engine and will be up on blocks in his yard. My Grandfather will buy it off him for 50 bucks and give it to me with the order "figure out how to fix it and it's yours." We got it running and it became my main machine by the time I was eligible to (legally) drive in 1971.

Pic 2 is looking NB on El Camino Real from Avenida Victoria.
Look at those pretty street lights. I don't remember them. Now they have ugly municipal looking ones with that sickly salmon colored light. Most all those buildings are still standing.

Pic 3 is the opposite view of 2, looking SB on ECR from Avenida Cabrillo. Take note of the big diesel truck and the Trailways bus. They're there because you're looking at the main road between L.A. and San Diego. The freeway wasn't finished yet. Imagine today's volume of traffic on a 4 lane undivided highway with traffic lights and stop signs.

TearAbite
D'oh
join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

TearAbite to CurtesyFlush

to CurtesyFlush

Hey?! Anybody got any old pictures of the Inland Empire?!

Bloominite
Premium Member
join:2004-04-17

Bloominite to CurtesyFlush

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush

Re: Angels Flight

More pics of Angel's Flight:
»www.ulwaf.com/LA-1900s/P ··· dSt.html

Life in LA 100 years ago:
»www.ulwaf.com/LA-1900s/S ··· Was.html

More pics and articles:
»www.ulwaf.com/LA-1900s/i ··· x04.html

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

1 recommendation

No_Strings to TearAbite

to TearAbite

said by TearAbite:

Hey?! Anybody got any old pictures of the Inland Empire?!
Why? Before the meth labs, it was just dirt. Now, it's just dirt & meth labs.

Bloominite
Premium Member

1 edit

Bloominite

Premium Member

Upon reflection, I do not wish to post.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

2 recommendations

dogma

Premium Member

said by Bloominite:

said by No_Strings:

Why? Before the meth labs, it was just dirt. Now, it's just dirt & meth labs.
Actually, there wasn't that much dirt. It was mostly groves, vineyards, truck farms and the meth labs that have always been here. The first meth lab I saw was in the middle of a Bloomington grapefruit grove back around late '69 or early '70. It was ran by a couple of enterprising 16 year olds who were supplementing their income by converting Vicks inhalers into peanut butter crank that they then sold in some of Fontana's shadier bars and liquor store parking lots.
Hey you two...we should probably stick with old pictures/postcards of SoCal in this thread for the most part. Let's save the trip down memory lane for a new sticky thread I plan to start entitled:

Meth Labs & Crack Whores - The real SoCal.

Bloominite
Premium Member

Bloominite

Premium Member

1912 roadmap
Bloominite

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Getting ready for the race to start. One fine day in Corona, 1913
Bloominite

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
San Bernardino, ca 1909
Bloominite

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Click for full size
2 slightly different views of north San Bernardino and Arrowhead Springs, ca 1907
Bloominite

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Redlands as it looked in 1908
Bloominite

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Riverside 1908
Click for full size
Riverside from Mt Rubidoux 1908
Click for full size
Riverside and Mt Rubidoux 1908

Your typical Riverside gas station in 1937

Magnolia Ave in Riverside 1899
A few from Riverside. I'll post more IE pics later.
Bloominite

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Bloomington Garage
This one's dear to my heart. The Bloomington Garage was built at the intersection of Cedar St and Valley Blvd in 1912 and was there until it was moved to another location 4-5 years ago. It was an amazing shop that included a blacksmith's outfit and a full pre-WWI automotive machine shop with all of the equipment powered via overhead belts andjackshafts that ran off an old Model T engine mounted out back behind the shop. He fixed everything there, from pouring babbet bearings to repairing home radios.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk to Bloominite

Premium Member

to Bloominite
That's cool. That's where my folks and I grew up!

Bloominite
Premium Member

Bloominite

Premium Member

said by bobrk:

That's cool. That's where my folks and I grew up!
Where's that?

bobrk
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

bobrk

Premium Member

Sorry, I was refering to the 1912 road map you posted. We lived in Sunland and Tujunga. At least till I was 8. Then we moved to Harbor City. My dad worked in Hawthorne, and the drive was just too far from Tujunga, even in the mid 60s.
Sunsetstrip
Go Kings
MVM
join:2000-07-08
West Hollywood, CA

Sunsetstrip to CurtesyFlush

MVM

to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Click for full size

Remember the coolest building in LA ?...the Pan Pacific Auditorium was built in a hurry out of plywood,a fireman's disaster waiting to happen.

My Mom saw Elvis here and I remember going every year to the Outdoor show where us kids would catch live fish in a pool they had sat up.

Located off Beverly Blvd just east of TVC(CBS)

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium Member
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

Rocky67

Premium Member

Our family used to go to the Outdoor show there, too. Remember the lumberjack show they had outside?

Bloominite
Premium Member

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Los Angeles 1908
Click for full size
Huntington Half School, LA 1908
Click for full size
Panorama of Los Angeles, from Hotel Trenton, Owens River Day 1907
Click for full size
St. Vincent's College, Los Angeles, California
Various shots of LA
Bloominite

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Santa Anita 1908
Bloominite

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
San Diego
Click for full size
Coronado
Click for full size
View from Ramona Heights
San Diego 1908
Bloominite

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Long Beach Pier 1908
Click for full size
San Pedro 1908
Click for full size
Santa Cruz 1908
Click for full size
San Pedro 1908
Click for full size
Long Beach 1908
Click for full size
Redondo Beach 1910
Click for full size
Long Beach Pier 1907
Click for full size
Venice of America 1907
Beach Shots

(yes, I know Santa Cruz isn't SoCal, but I love that town)
Bloominite

Premium Member

to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Kern, California 1909
Click for full size
Maricopa's high rent district 1911
Kern County

bobrk
Premium Member
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk to Bloominite

Premium Member

to Bloominite
said by Bloominite:

(yes, I know Santa Cruz isn't SoCal, but I love that town)
Those two big buildings are still there! Can't say that about a lot of the other shots...