CurtesyFlush
Bababooey, fafafooey, tatatoothy.
Premium
join:2002-08-23
Fontana, CA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to CurtesyFlush

1. I-5 looking south in the Capistrano area at what would someday be called the Avery Parkway interchange. For the life of me I can't remember what that was named prior to Avery. Started with a M I believe. Early 1960s.

2. I-5 looking southbound at Avenida Pico in San Clemente in 1961.

3. I-5 looking northbound at the brand new El Toro Road interchange in 1959.
--
Life Member, NRA and CRPA.

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush

1. (1960) Aerial view looking north, the construction of I-5 at Oso Creek in what is now Mission Viejo. In the middle to the right you can see Oso Canyon. The two spans of the freeway bridge over Oso Creek are shown in the center of the pic. This is now the area of the Oso Parkway offramp. At top center you can see the La Paz curve of the new freeway. At left center is the old Gavilan overhead and curve of old Hwy 101.

2. A tighter shot of the above, this time taken in 1959 while construction was still taking place.
--

marcelle19
cross
Premium,MVM
join:2002-03-02
Phelan, CA
kudos:1
reply to CurtesyFlush

I remember these signs from a service station (remember those?) on the corner of Central Ave. and Kingsley St in Montclair during the 1960's.

There were other service stations around at that time, too - there were so many service stations and gas stations that there was one on every corner of every major street.
--
Some people think they gain through dishonest means, never realizing that in lying, cheating, and other dishonesty, they are losing pieces of themselves, which they can never recover. SPECIAL

Bloominite
Premium
join:2004-04-17
reply to CurtesyFlush

Elks Club in San Bernardino

E St in San Bernadino

Highland Grammar School

The E. C. Sterling Residence, Redlands

State Hospital in Highland

The Dam, Big Bear Lake

Arrowhead Springs Hotel

Loma Linda Sanitarium

Croquet Court, Loma Linda Sanitarium

Euclid Avenue, Ontario

Ontario Country Club, Ontario
A few old postcards

Bloominite
Premium
reply to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
FRONT, SANTA ANA RIVER DIVERSION DAM. VIEW TO EAST.
Click for full size
OBLIQUE VIEW TO NORTHEAST ALONG FRONT OF SANTA ANA RIVER DIVERSION DAM. NOTE CABLE CAR SUSPENSION CABLE AT GATE ATOP DAM.
Click for full size
LOOKING NORTHEAST ACROSS DAM TO GATE CONTROLS, CABLE CAR ANCHORING, AND, AT RIGHT, HEAD WORKS AT PORTAL OF TUNNEL ZERO FOR DIVER
Click for full size
POOL BEHIND DIVERSION DAM. VIEW DOWN CANYON TO SOUTHWEST.
Click for full size
WATER ENTERING CONFLUENCE POOL FROM BEAR CREEK AT LEFT, AND FROM SANTA ANA RIVER THROUGH TUNNEL #0 AT RIGHT. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
Click for full size
CONFLUENCE POOL, DETAIL OF TUNNEL PORTAL WITH WATER ENTERING FROM SANTA ANA RIVER. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
Click for full size
POOL, DAM, AND INTAKE TO PIPELINE LEADING TO FISH WHEEL, LOOKING WEST-NORTHWEST.
Click for full size
FRONT OF DAM, LOOKING NORTH-NORTHEAST.
Click for full size
FIRST SECTION OF PIPELINE BETWEEN CONFLUENCE POOL AND FISH SCREEN. NOTE RETAINING WALL BESIDE PIPE. VIEW TO NORTH-NORTHEAST.
Click for full size
. PLANK WALKWAY ATOP PIPE, ALSO SHOWING OVERFLOW CONTROL BOX AT JUNCTION OF PIPE WITH CONCRETE CHANNEL TO FISH SCREEN. VIEW TO N
Click for full size
CABLE CAR TERMINAL PLATFORM IMMEDIATELY UPSTREAM FROM REVOLVING FISH SCREEN, LOOKING SOUTH.
Click for full size
DETAIL, REVOLVING FISH SCREEN. CABLE CAR TERMINAL PLATFORM AT REAR. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
Click for full size
FISH SCREEN AT HEADWORKS. SCE negative no. 2868, October 29, 1914. Photograph by G. Haven Bishop.
Click for full size
REVOLVING FISH SCREEN, S.A.R. No. 1, FEB. 19, 1914. SCE drawing no. 4777.
Click for full size
QUARRIED CHANNEL AND PLANK WALK, LOOKING NORTH TOWARD FISH SCREEN.
Click for full size
CHANNEL LEADING TO PORTAL OF TUNNEL #1. VIEW TO SOUTH.
Click for full size
DETAIL, ENTRY PORTAL OF TUNNEL #1. VIEW TO SOUTH.
Click for full size
. OVERVIEW OF SAR-1 FLOWLINE SANDBOX AT BREAKNECK CREEK. VIEW TO WEST.
Click for full size
SANDBOX AT BREAKNECK CREEK UNDER CONSTRUCTION. SCE negative no. 1910, May 20, 1913. Photograph by G. Haven Bishop.
Click for full size
DAM AT SETTLING BASIN, SANTA ANA RIVER NO. 1, SEPT. 9, 1912. SCE drawing no. 5787.
Click for full size
PLANK WALKWAY, POOL, AND LEAF SCREEN. VIEW TO SOUTHWEST.
Click for full size
GATE AT ENTRY PORTAL TO TUNNEL #3. VIEW TO SOUTH-SOUTHWEST.
Click for full size
GATE AT EXIT PORTAL TO TUNNEL #2. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
Click for full size
OVERVIEW OF MAINTENANCE ROAD AND FOURTH FLUME ABOVE SAR-1 FOREBAY, HIGH ABOVE SANTA ANA RIVER BED, LOOKING SOUTHWEST.
Click for full size
DETAIL OF ENTRY TUNNEL PORTAL, FOURTH FLUME ABOVE SAR-1 FOREBAY. VIEW TO WEST.
Click for full size
THIRD FLUME ABOVE SAR-1 FOREBAY, SHOWING TYPICAL CHANGE IN CURVATURE OF METAL SHEETING AS FLUME MEETS TUNNEL AT PORTAL. VIEW TO
Click for full size
EXIT TUNNEL PORTAL AND SECOND FLUME ABOVE SAR-1 FOREBAY. VIEW TO NORTHWEST.
Click for full size
FOUNDATIONS OF FLUME NO. 8, EXPOSED. SCE negative no. 3077, January 26, 1916. Photograph by G. Haven Bishop.
Click for full size
DOMESTIC WATER SUPPLY TREATMENT HOUSE, ON PENSTOCK ABOVE SAR-1. VIEW TO NORTWEST.
Click for full size
SAR-1 FOREBAY, SHOWING SPILLWAY, WITH WATER ENTERING FROM FLUME. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
Click for full size
PENSTOCKS. EXHIBIT L, SANTA ANA RIVER NO. 1 PROJECT, APR. 30, 1945. SCE drawing no. 523197 (sheet no. 7; for filing with Federal
Click for full size
GATE VALVE (24 INCH) BETWEEN SMALL FOREBAYS AT HEAD OF PIPE LINES, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA POWER CO., SEPT. 2, 1898. LOCATION: SANT
Click for full size
SAR-1, SOUTHEAST AND SOUTHWEST ELEVATIONS, WITH SWITCH RACK AT LEFT, AND SANTA ANA WELL #1 AND STONE RETAINING WALLS AT RIGHT. V
Click for full size
. SOUTHWEST ELEVATION AND TAILRACE CHANNEL. VIEW TO NORTHEAST.
Click for full size
SAR-1, INTERIOR OVERVIEW TO WEST-NORTHWEST.
Click for full size
SOUTHEAST END OF HISTORIC CONTROL PANEL: NO. 1 AND NO. 2 DISCONNECTS. VIEW TO SOUTHWEST.
Click for full size
HISTORIC AIR-COOLED TRANSFORMERS. VIEW TO WEST.
Click for full size
GENERATORS AND SWITCHBOARD. SCE negative no. 10320, November 1, 1923. Photograph by G. Haven Bishop.
Click for full size
NEW SWITCHBOARD, LOOKING SOUTH FROM SYNCHROSCOPE. SCE negative no. 2678, June 4, 1914. Photograph by G. Haven Bishop.
Click for full size
SAR-1, PELTON WHEELS DURING INSTALLATION. EEC print no. S-C-01-00524, no date. Photographer unknown.
Click for full size
DOBLE BUCKETS ON PELTON WHEEL. EEC print no. G-C-01-00148, no date. Photograph by Benjamin F. Pearson.
Click for full size
BELT-DRIVEN LATHE AND WORK BENCH, SHOWING TOOL STORAGE BOARD BEHIND. EEC print no. N-C-01-00043, no date. Photograph by Benjamin
Click for full size
SAR-1, OPERATOR WORKING GOVERNOR. EEC print no. G-C-01-00390, no date. Photograph by Benjamin F. Pearson.
Click for full size
OPERATOR WORKING GOVERNOR ON UNIT NO. 4. SCE negative no. 2685, no date. Photograph by G. Haven Bishop.
Click for full size
NEEDLE AND NOZZLE TIP, SANTA ANA NO. 1, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA EDISON CO., APR. 28, 1910, REVISED MAY 12, 1910. SCE drawing no. 450
Click for full size
82 INCH PELTON NOZZLE ON G. E. GEN. BASE, SANTA ANA RIVER NO. 1, JUNE 19, 1909. SCE drawing no. 5309.
I got an IM from tearabite asking for waterworks, so here ya go. This is the system that made up Santa Ana River Powerhouse #1 (SAR-1) that was fed by Bear Creek and ran from Big Bear down to the East Highlands/Mentone area. SAR-1 is one of the 3 powerhouses that make up SCE's SAR complex. All of these photos and captions are courtesy of Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record via Library of Congress. Unless otherwise noted, they were shot in 1991 as part of the effort to document the area prior to construction of the Seven Oaks Dam.

They are arranged in order (as best I can tell) beginning at the top and heading downstream. One of my all-time favorite days was the day my wife and I spent exploring this segment of SAR back around 1987 or 88. I'd worked 30 or 40 days straight, woke up one day, looked out the window and was greeted by one of the nicest spring mornings you'll ever see and came down with a terminal case of spring fever. I headed into work, told them I was gonna take the day off, pulled a nice little Jeep CJ5 from the inventory, went home, grabbed the wife, went for a drive with no destination in mind. We headed up the 330 and, just by chance, pulled off onto a dirt road in the Fredalba area and this was where we wound up. We saw the system ranging from the dam in the 1st pic down as far as the entry portal at the 4th flume.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to Valkyre
That's cool. I went to Fleming for Junior High, which was the old High School.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA
reply to Bloominite
said by Bloominite:

It's a good thing the wind never blows in Fontana. That looks like a good fart would have knocked it over.
School was only open one day when RFC attended. You had better read up on the 1892 presumed earthquake that shook Fontana. The ensuing damage defied description and the exact cause was never fully explained, but apparently the school exploded into flames after Jack lit up a cigarette at the movement of the earthquake.
--
cum hoc ergo propter hoc

Bloominite
Premium
reply to coxta
said by coxta:

From that picture of the "First School in the Fontana area", if you look close, you can tell that Jack was already the teachers pet. I wonder what went on in that old schoolhouse between RFC and Marm Letourneau?
It's a good thing the wind never blows in Fontana. That looks like a good fart would have knocked it over.

Bloominite
Premium

1 edit
reply to CurtesyFlush
said by CurtesyFlush:

I'll have to match up that hog ranch view of the Jurupas with the way it looks today, see how close that place was. This place was built in 1943.
It's probably just a bit to the east from you. Just a guess, but the area east of Cherry was mostly grapefruit north of Santa Ana Ave and grapes south of Santa Ana. I've been told most of the hog ranches were west of Cherry.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
LALALALALALA

1 recommendation

reply to CurtesyFlush
From that picture of the "First School in the Fontana area", if you look close, you can tell that Jack was already the teachers pet. I wonder what went on in that old schoolhouse between RFC and Marm Letourneau?
--
cum hoc ergo propter hoc

Bloominite
Premium
reply to CurtesyFlush

This is an old Magic Lantern glass transparency from the Eastman Museum
Click for full size
I'm pretty sure this is a shot of the old park and lake that used to be south of the Inland Center Mall.
Artesian wells in San Bernardino. There were so many of them, they were considered a major nuisance and most of them were capped. many of the capped artesian wells were never mapped and that created major problems when the south end of the city saw a building boom in the 70s and 80s. One I remember in particular was the post office on E St below Orange Show Rd. The building was one of the first projects in the area and constantly had a few feet of water in the basement despite pumps that ran 24/7.

San Bernardino's artesian wells were the source of water that supplied the Gage Canal which made citrus farming possible in Riverside.

Is anyone else interested in old waterworks? I've got a bunch of pics of the Gage Canal and also the Bear Creek system that delivered water from Big Bear to Redlands. Bear Creek was quite the undertaking with lots of small dams and tunnels. It was also a neat spot to explore and enjoy the many pools and flumes. I'll post a few if anyone is interested.

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
reply to Bloominite
I'll have to match up that hog ranch view of the Jurupas with the way it looks today, see how close that place was. This place was built in 1943.
--

Bloominite
Premium
reply to CurtesyFlush

1890 - Santa Fe depot

Click for full size
1892 - First School in the Fontana area
Click for full size
1930 - Miller Park
Click for full size
1938 - Fontana Silver Anniversary Parade
Click for full size
1940 - Hog Ranch, located south of the I10 (that'd be Jack's neighborhood)
Click for full size
1943 - Kaiser Steel Mill (#1 blast furnace under construction)
Click for full size
1950 - Sierra and Seville
Click for full size
1955 - Santa Fe Train Station (this still exists in the same location)
Various shots of Fontana

Valkyre
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2000-12-25
Valhalla
reply to bobrk
said by bobrk:

said by coxta:

said by CurtesyFlush:

What's repharse?
That's what I say when I don't want to use spilchuk.
I think I just spilchuked my repharse all over the desk.

Anybody got any old South Bay pics? I probably have some, but I didn't realize how "beautiful" the area was when I lived there so long ago, so we mostly have pictures of our cul de sac.
I am going to ask my Mom if she still has an old black and white pic' from long ago. It was an overhead shot of the Harbor City area around Narbonne High School before the high school was built. The students went door to door selling these pictures to help fund the construction for the new high school. It was mostly open land, and Western was a dinky two lane road.
--
Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for? - Gimli

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
reply to No_Strings
Ahhhh, no thanks. I'll keep my freedom and 2 acre back yard and continue to bitch about no DSL.
--

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
reply to CurtesyFlush
said by CurtesyFlush:

... until I moved to this godforsaken hellhole Inland frikkin Empire Fontana jacked up town.
You should move to one of these master planned communities. They have everything conveniently located, good infrastructure like cable & DSL - they even have oversight boards called homeowners associations that help keep the place looking neat & tidy. Very nice places with good property values.
--
Proud user of a tainted kernel.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
LALALALALALA

1 recommendation

reply to CurtesyFlush
I was going to post an image, but it's so large, I've had second thoughts. To make things fair, I'm sending it via U.S. Mail to you, RFC. It should arrive at your house in about a week. I figure that will be faster than you downloading it. Always thinking of you.
--
cum hoc ergo propter hoc

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
reply to TearAbite
said by TearAbite:

yes.. i'm happy!

BTW: those pics take a whopping 4 seconds to download and view
Yes, I'm familiar with the benefits of HSI, something I was actually able to get until I moved to this godforsaken hellhole Inland frikkin Empire Fontana jacked up town.
--

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to coxta
said by coxta:

said by CurtesyFlush:

What's repharse?
I think I just spilchuked my repharse all over the desk.

Anybody got any old South Bay pics? I probably have some, but I didn't realize how "beautiful" the area was when I lived there so long ago, so we mostly have pictures of our cul de sac.
--
Iraq Coalition Deaths, Graphic | RC5 | bobrk

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
LALALALALALA
reply to CurtesyFlush
said by CurtesyFlush:

What's repharse?
--
cum hoc ergo propter hoc

TearAbite
D'oh

join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush
yes.. i'm happy!

BTW: those pics take a whopping 4 seconds to download and view

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
reply to bobrk
What I'm stuck with because I can't get DSL in this part of hell.
--

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush
said by CurtesyFlush:

What's repharse?
Better yet, what's "dial-up?"

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
reply to coxta
What's repharse?

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
LALALALALALA
reply to CurtesyFlush
said by CurtesyFlush:

said by TearAbite:

Hey?! Anybody got any old pictures of the Inland Empire?!
#$%*??@? dial-up connection!
Let me repharse RFC's response.
--
cum hoc ergo propter hoc

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
reply to TearAbite
said by TearAbite:

Hey?! Anybody got any old pictures of the Inland Empire?!
Happy now?
--

Bloominite
Premium

1 edit
reply to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Entrance at 14004 Summit Ave
Click for full size
Stone House
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
View to the south
Click for full size
Round reservoir
Click for full size
Rectangular reservoir
Click for full size
Fieldstone garage building
Click for full size
View from behind the garage
Click for full size
This type of fence used to be common in north Fontana
Click for full size
Click for full size
Ruins of an old house
Click for full size
Click for full size
The sheepdip
Click for full size
Waterworks Settling Basin
Click for full size
Entrance to the water mine
Click for full size
This is what it looks like now about 1/2 mile frrom the ranch entrance in the 1st pic
These are all shots of the Sansevain property, later known as Hunter's Ridge in north Fontana. Although the address is listed as 14804 Summit Ave, the streets were realigned several years ago and the ranch entrance was near what is now Wilson St, jusr west of I-15. All of these shots are from Library of Congress' Historic American Buildings Survey. The pics are undated, but this is what the area looked like when we went pheasant hunting up there in the late 60s/early 70s.

edit: I flubbed the address on the caption of the 1st pic. It should be 14804 Summit Ave.

ghostpainter
I Write for the Apocalypse
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
kudos:3
reply to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
These are all from the 1969 flood...I had just joined the Navy and had not reported for duty yet....We had 122 inches of rain if 4 weeks of rain.

The bottom picture is of Carnelian and Vineyard. The end house is gone and the last 4 garages are gone.

Thomas Bros is on the corner of Vineyard and Foothill...The damage was caused when the giant wine barrels were pushed out the from of the building and ended up on Arrow highway

The second picture down is looking from Redhill east on Foothill...As you can see it was real sparse back then...Just me and about 200 relatives and 3400 others in the entire Etiwanda, Alta Loma Cucamonga Area.

The only freeway back then was the 10.
--
»Weather

If you cant find your weather, you can find it here

»EARTHLOGII.COM
»EARTHLOGWX.NET
Inside the IE
»www.insidetheie.com/
and our new blog
»www.insidetheIE.blogspot.com

Bloominite
Premium