Premium
join:2002-08-23
Fontana, CA
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to CurtesyFlush

Click for full size
This was located on the N side of El Toro Road between the tracks and what is now Jeronimo Rd., almost across from the fire station.

You can see the post office boxes on the right. That was the El Toro Post Office in its entirety. This was the last chance for gas before heading out into the canyons. They even sold Levis, socks, dungarees, work boots and overalls. Everything for the well-dressed citrus farmer.

ETR was two lanes back then. I remember this as if it were yesterday.
--
You do not need the Bible to justify love, but no better tool has been invented to justify hate.
~
R. A. Weatherwax

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA
reply to CurtesyFlush

Don't look at the link, but let's see if you Orange County folks can guess what this is? You'll have to follow the link below to hunt down the rest of the pictures of this particular site and some others, like the Cawson Ostrich fram in South Pasadena.

»www.image-archeology.com/
--
Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate

CurtesyFlush
Bababooey, fafafooey, tatatoothy.
Premium
Fontana, CA

A. Thanks for blowing out the margins, dickwad.

B. I'll say Knott's Berry Farm, but I'm too lazy to follow the link to see if I'm right.
--
Póg mo thóin

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA

said by CurtesyFlush:

B. I'll say Knott's Berry Farm, but I'm too lazy to follow the link to see if I'm right.
you're right.

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA

My clues were the flats on display.
--
Póg mo thóin

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
kudos:1
reply to CurtesyFlush

Click for full size
110Fwy South into Downtown

Remember the sirene at noon every last Friday of the Month?
Click for full size
What that sign said BEFORE the State taxed it, forcing a letter sale
Click for full size
Functional public transportation pre 1950's
Click for full size
May Company, Fairfax & Wilshire 1950's
Click for full size
That's not fog...but the kind of smog that would burn your eyes

Wilshire Eastbound near Normandie
Click for full size
Wilshire near La Brea
Click for full size
Wilmington 1930 or so.
Ta Dah

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA

I remember the siren tests being at 10am, not noon.
--
Póg mo thóin

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
LALALALALALA
reply to CurtesyFlush

said by CurtesyFlush:

A. Thanks for blowing out the margins, dickwad.
Anything that rockets your blood pressure higher and pisses you off is a mission accomplished!
--

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA

To Timmy: *muaaah*
--
Póg mo thóin

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
LALALALALALA

said by CurtesyFlush:

To Timmy: *muaaah*
You're just too cute and cuddly sometimes.
--

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to coxta

said by coxta:

Anything that rockets your blood pressure higher and pisses you off is a mission accomplished!
Careful. If you break off a hunk of that plaque he's been carefully cultivating in his arteries and it lodges in his thick head somewhere, we're sending his debilitated keister to your house so you can spoon-feed him watered-down gruel.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
LALALALALALA

1 recommendation

said by No_Strings:

said by coxta:

Careful. If you break off a hunk of that plaque he's been carefully cultivating in his arteries and it lodges in his thick head somewhere, we're sending his debilitated keister to your house so you can spoon-feed him watered-down gruel.
It could be arranged.

--

Jammy
ja'Krinda
Premium
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA
kudos:1
reply to CurtesyFlush

Dang many of those pics seem to be memories from outside of a Greyhound window!

Charles3

join:2011-08-02
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush

Click for full size
Tampa and Victory early 1960s

Charles3

join:2011-08-02
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush

Click for full size
West San Fernando Valley, 1963

Bloominite
Premium
join:2004-04-17
reply to CurtesyFlush

dakine1

@embarqhsd.net
reply to CurtesyFlush

This is one of the greatest threads ever! Thanks for the great memories...

Fluxcapacitr

join:2013-05-24
reply to CurtesyFlush

CurtesyFlush,

I'm looking for some pictures or knowledge about the old white house that is where stonehill rd. is now (San juan Capistrano). I remember passing this house all the time as a kid on the way to the beach to watch my dad surf or wipeout (lol) and I wanted to go to this house soooo bad but was discouraged (my parents are forever not forgiven Unfortunately one day passing by I noticed they tore the house down, including priceless orchards, and they made it into a horribly ugly and expensive car dealership "row". Eventually stone hill was put in and of course recently a hotel put up on the land adjacent. There is even talk (for the last 10+ years) of putting a home depot on the "lower rosan ranch" or LRR property. I am very interested in the history of what that property and who owned it. I am not one of the Original Orange County or Old Orange County residents but my family line is. Unfortunately death and loss of photos/memory/information has been dispersed. I do have friends and info on dana point but NOBODY can remember this particular property I speak of! I was obsessed as a kid with that house. At the time while passing on the freeway you could barely see the white exterior through the trees (pretty sure it was abandoned for some time). I think there was some story among the kids about how nobody came out.

Needless to say I am very sad about what Orange County has developed into politically and otherwise. Very big loss for the kids growing up today. I can't drive on the 405 North or the 5 North without shaking my head at these huge 14 - 16 ft walls containing poorly built (and expensive homes) with construction companies that are just as guilty as the city. I foresee nothing good coming for Orange County. The opportunities that we had were endless. Urban planners should know better. Wild rivers and irvine meadows is gone or on the way out soon due to MORE housing being built. It is horribly incredible.

Any info would be appreciated. I would be happy to post word for word the stories like that of the christening of Dana Point (the people involved), the builder of the harbor, and many photos from the 60's - 70's. All photos from my grandpa from an earlier time (in San Clemente / Orange County, Los angeles, and Texas) have been pilfered by an outside family when he passed recently (hopefully we will get them back one day).

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

said by Fluxcapacitr:

Needless to say I am very sad about what Orange County has developed into politically and otherwise.

Yep. Once the Audi-owners moved in it went to crap....

Bloominite
Premium
join:2004-04-17
reply to CurtesyFlush

Click for full size
Los Angeles St and Alameda St 1943
(...............................................................LAandAlameda 1943)