Premium
join:1999-11-06
Monrovia, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush

Re: Old pics of the area

1886 Looking north on Myrtle Ave

Same shot but in 1892

Same shot in 1914

Some old photos from Monrovia,the city was incorporated in 1887, big growth after it was.

CurtesyFlush
Bababooey, fafafooey, tatatoothy.
Premium
join:2002-08-23
Fontana, CA
kudos:2
More, more!

seagreen
Premium,Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there
reply to POB

Re: Mission San Diego de Alcala

Balboa Park's Casa del Prado Building c. 1915 Photo Album. Built for the 1915 Panama-California Exposition.

I loved this gorgeous building when I visited San Diego in 2003. One of my photos is below.

Casa del Prado

E_V
Premium
join:2000-09-29
Vancouver, BC
kudos:5
Very cool. Anyone know if that very cool theatre is still on Balboa? They used to run great surfing movies.
Expand your moderator at work

wrxrxtn

join:2000-12-13
Seal Beach, CA
reply to PhiloVance

said by PhiloVance:

LA Times has some pics, check out »yourscene.latimes.com/mycapture/···ID=18062

Some links to Historic Highway 99 (Ridge Route)
»www.gbcnet.com/ushighways/US99/index.html
Amazing information. Thanks for the link!
--

Room 101
Premium
join:2007-03-25
Santa Monica, CA

2 edits
reply to Sunsetstrip
Why do we have such contempt for the past (even the recent past) in L.A.?

I grew up around here, but I think the only movie I saw at the Pan Pacific was The Little Prince. (If this doesn't date me, the photos I'm posting at the end of this thread will, lol). This whole area has been destroyed -- Kiddyland amusement park (now the Beverly Center) and Osko's Disco (now that other mall south of the Beverly Center) come to mind immediately -- for seemingly few, if any, benefits. And don't even get me started on the Farmer's Market. I have not stepped foot in there since The Grove opened.

ETA: Dolores's Drive-In on Wilshire in BH just popped into my head and I had to add it to my list of cool L.A. landmarks.

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
Speaking of the Farmer's Market, I made the mistake of having lunch at Du- par's a couple years ago. Blech.
--
Life Member, NRA and CRPA.

Room 101
Premium
Santa Monica, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush

Disneyland ca. 1970 -- The monorail heading into Tomorrowland

Disneyland ca. 1970 -- Snow White Mouse
At the risk of dating myself, here are a couple of photos from Disneyland ca. 1970.

Room 101
Premium
Santa Monica, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush

Re: Restaurant Row, La Cienega Blvd

Was Tail 'o the Cock still there in the '70s? I may be getting it confused with something else.... It was always such a big treat to go to any restaurant on Restaurant Row. One year my took me to Alan Hale's Lobster House on my birthday and I was so upset because Alan Hale wasn't there, lol.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to CurtesyFlush

said by CurtesyFlush:

Speaking of the Farmer's Market, I made the mistake of having lunch at Du- par's a couple years ago. Blech.
Really? We've dropped in there for breakfast the last couple of trips, and it's been great. The pancakes are truely amazing.
--
Iraq Coalition Deaths, Graphic | RC5 | bobrk

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
Neither of us liked our meal. I had the gourmet meatloaf. I've had better food out of a C-ration box. Service was sucky too.
--
Life Member, NRA and CRPA.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to CurtesyFlush
Ventura Depot and Villanova school in Ojai
--
This post printed on 100% recycled bytes

Premium
join:2003-08-09
Costa Mesa, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Antonio Parkway, by what is now the Pavilions shopping center.
Click for full size
Santa Margarita Parkway and Empresa Avenue; across from the car dealerships.
Click for full size
Joshua Drive, on the Trabuco Canyon side of Plano Trabuco Road.
Here's a few old pics of the Rancho Santa Margarita / Trabuco Canyon area circa 1985 (sorry it's the latest I have available right now):

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
Somewhere in my collection are some slides I took back in the early seventies up on the Plano Trabuco (current site of RSM).
Those houses marching up that far ridge are on the site of the former Robinson Ranch, and that bare ridge to their right marks one of the spots where the hang gliders used to take off from back when Bob Robinson ran what used to be called Escape Country hang gliding and MC park.
--
I did not.

Premium
join:2003-08-09
Costa Mesa, CA
That was where we moved to after I was born. We moved to across the street from the RSM side of Plano Trabuco Road, in the housing tract immediately adjacent to that. I have some pics of that somewhere else, not sure where.

It's been a while since I have been down that way though unfortunately. I would like to go down there again sometime and see what all has changed.

marcelle19
cross
Premium,MVM
join:2002-03-02
Phelan, CA
kudos:1
said by 69742511:

That was where we moved to after I was born. We moved to across the street from the RSM side of Plano Trabuco Road, in the housing tract immediately adjacent to that. I have some pics of that somewhere else, not sure where.

It's been a while since I have been down that way though unfortunately. I would like to go down there again sometime and see what all has changed.
But how's the weather recently in that area?
--
Some people think they gain through dishonest means, never realizing that in lying, cheating, and other dishonesty, they are losing pieces of themselves, which they can never recover. SPECIAL

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Mayfair Market & Thrifty Drugs, Slauson and Overhill

Mayfair Market, Redondo Beach 1953
Pic one is the grocery store my Grandparents shopped at from the late 30s through the early 60s. Ladera Heights/Windsor Hills area of WLA.

Dogma: Dat yo hood, what's there now?

Pic two says 1953, but that doesn't look like a 1953 gas price, seeing as I was paying 26 a gallon for leaded regular in 1971.

How many here remember the Harbor Gas stations? Anyone remember what their mascot was?
--
Póg mo thóin

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA
That picture of Redondo looks more like 1963 than 1953. I actually bought gas at that Harbor station many times during the '60s. Wasn't their mascot a seal or sea lion?

It continually amazes me that you find these photos.
--
"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer

marcelle19
cross
Premium,MVM
Phelan, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush

Valley Drive In circa 1952

White Front Department Store, around 1963-64

I recall going to the Valley Drive In in Montclair during the late 50's and early 60's with the car loaded up with the family.

My friends and I also used to sneak into the bushes that bordered it, go though the fence, snitch a back row speaker or two, and listen and watch the movies.

It also had a small zoo with a limited amount of animals which we loved as kids, as well as the obligatory snack bar.

It was pretty much defunct by the time the Montclair Plaza came into existence in 1968.

There was a White Front Department Store in Ontario at the time, too, that looked just like the one pictured - it was located between Sixth Street and Fifth Street on Mountain Blvd., as I recall. Died there around the same time as the Plaza went up in Montclair, if not a little before.

I tried to find a pic of the old ABC Union Marts, but no luck...oh, well.
--
Some people think they gain through dishonest means, never realizing that in lying, cheating, and other dishonesty, they are losing pieces of themselves, which they can never recover. SPECIAL

marcelle19
cross
Premium,MVM
Phelan, CA

1 edit
reply to CurtesyFlush
Disregard - double post to to site construction error (or so I read).

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
reply to Rocky67
said by Rocky67:

Wasn't their mascot a seal or sea lion?

Yep. Can't remember the name. Maybe Harby?
said by Rocky67:

It continually amazes me that you find these photos.
More on the way.
--
"I want a church I can stay in for years. I don't want surprises, scandals, or secrets from my church leaders."

Ted Haggard

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA

4 edits
reply to CurtesyFlush

The era of the ranchos

Here's a repro of an old hand drawn map, complete with Spanish misspellings. It shows the location of some of the original ranchos of the Spanish era. You can easily match some of the rancho names with current locations, f'rinstance
Rodeo de las Aguas is Beverly Hills (think Rodeo Drive), Aguaje de la Centinela includes current day Inglewood (think Centinela Ave), and Sausal Redondo is Redondo Beach.

Rincon de los Bueyes = Corner of the Cattle (or Oxen)
Rodeo de las Aguas = Meeting of the Waters
Aguaje de la Centinela = Rising Tide of the Sentinel
Boca de Santa Monica = Mouth of Saint Monica
La Ballona = The Bay (corruption of Bahía) or The Whale (corruption of La Ballena)
Cienega Paso de la Tijera = Scissors Pass Swamp
Sausal Redondo = Rounded Willow
La Brea = The Tar
San Jose de Buenos Ayres (should be Aires) = Saint Joseph of the Good Air
Los Feliz = Those that are happy
La Merced = The Favor

--
"I want a church I can stay in for years. I don't want surprises, scandals, or secrets from my church leaders."

Ted Haggard

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium
Orange, CA
Another nice find. I love this kind of stuff.

Btw, it was Harby. Just happened to see the name a few days ago on that cougertown url that you pointed me to several years back.
--
"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA
I just found a goldmine of old Beverly Hills pics. Problem is, they're in a book from my collection. Gotta figure out how to do a decent scan without ruining the book.

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA

1 recommendation

reply to CurtesyFlush

Click for full size
1. Aerial view of Westwood, 1932. The Ralphs pictured next is lower right, at Westwood and Lindbrook, and the A&P after that is lower left at the intersection of Gayley and Lindbrook.

2. Ralphs Grocery. Built in 1929, it's still there, although not as a Ralphs.

3. A&P Market, now gone.
--
Vegans fart like elephants.

CurtesyFlush
Premium
Fontana, CA

1 recommendation

reply to CurtesyFlush
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's a Vons (obviously including a Van de Kamps bakery) at the corner of Crescent Heights and Beverly, circa 1940.

Ansel Adams took these (and others) for a pictorial spread in the March, 1941 issue of Fortune Magazine about life in L.A. with the threat of war on the horizon.
--
Vegans fart like elephants.

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush
said by CurtesyFlush:

2. Ralphs Grocery. Built in 1929, it's still there, although not as a Ralphs.
Looks like it's a Peet's now: »maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=···042&z=17
--
flickr gallery
photo blog (rarely updated)

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to CurtesyFlush
Nice find.

bobrk