how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dark Shikari

join:2004-08-17
Reston, VA

[Connectivity] Comcast throttling?

Apparently Comcast has recently started throttling eMule/eDonkey/Kad upload connections. When uploaders try to connect to a client, it instantly issues a 10053 error, disconnecting them. As eMule relies on a credit system, this means all a Comcast user can do is leech.

As I don't use eMule much (only for very rare files and the like), it doens't bother me *too* much, but it still is annoying. Even with various modifications designed to bypass ISP throttling, it still doesn't work.

I would strongly recommend to anyone choosing ISPs who uses eMule to choose another company instead.

Morty7
Premium
join:2004-09-18

Do you have any sort of proof?

Dark Shikari

Reston, VA
reply to Dark Shikari

See this thread for some other people with the same problem, who concluded it was a problem with Comcast: »forum.emule-project.net/index.ph···p=790482

Morty7
Premium

That's certainly interesting, however that doesn't prove that Comcast is throttling it (or at least on purpose). You would need to have more technical information / locations in order to gain any useful correlation.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Dark Shikari

said by Dark Shikari:

Apparently Comcast has recently started throttling eMule/eDonkey/Kad upload connections. When uploaders try to connect to a client, it instantly issues a 10053 error, disconnecting them.
Throttling doesn't cause 10053 disconnects.

»www.google.com/search?q=error+10···official

Check the Rogers Cable forum to find out what the affect of ISP throttling is; Rogers is known to throttle their customers.

»[Extreme] Confirm from rep on throttling?
»[Extreme] Routing issue or Throttling ?
»[ Express] Is Rogers throttling my upload speed?

There are other, older threads, as well. Start by checking your AV software.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Morty7
Premium

Hehe, I knew NormanS See Profile would post an excellent reply. I personally don't use emule / torrents that often if ever really.

Dark Shikari

Reston, VA
reply to Morty7

Normans: according to information from those same eMule forums, Cablevision throttles their customers (and creates 10053 errors) by sending fake disconnect packets to uploaders.

Dark Shikari

Reston, VA
reply to Dark Shikari

I suggest you check out »www.filesharingweb.de/mediaWiki/···:Bad_isp

There are a number of providers that throttle their customers in a manner that creates 10053 errors. Its not really "throttling": it completely cuts off the connection rather than just slowing it down.

Expand your moderator at work

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Dark Shikari

Re: [Connectivity] Comcast throttling?

said by Dark Shikari:

Normans: according to information from those same eMule forums, Cablevision throttles their customers (and creates 10053 errors) by sending fake disconnect packets to uploaders.
That is not throttling. Forcing a disconnect is not slowing the connection down, it is breaking the connections altogether.
--
Norman

gd16

join:2006-08-17
Portland, OR
reply to Dark Shikari

I am having this same problem now in Portland, Oregon. It just started in the last few days. Looks like this is propogating across all of comcast. What a bummer... comcast or qwest. Why can't Verizon be Portland's phone carrier?

Dark Shikari

Reston, VA
reply to NormanS

OK, so its not throttling... its worse than throttling >_>

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO
reply to Dark Shikari

Which router are you using?

Dark Shikari

Reston, VA

A D-Link DI-524. Its worked flawlessly up until this started a few weeks to months ago.

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
Aurora, CO

Have you tried taking the router out of the loop while running emule to see if it is now causing problems?

gd16

Portland, OR

I have a D-Link DGL-4300 and have the same problem. Tried all suggested steps...same result

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
Aurora, CO

said by gd16:

Tried all suggested steps...same result
Sounds like a D-Link Problem then since only people with D-Links are having it.

But seriously, what suggested steps did you take?
--
"When you're an Anvil, hold you still;When you're a Hammer, strike your Fill." -- Benjamin Franklin

gd16

Portland, OR

taking the router out of the loop.

gd16

Portland, OR
reply to Dark Shikari

»forum.emule-project.net/index.ph···ry790482

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
reply to Dark Shikari

Yes. But I doubt that Comcast is doing it.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18
reply to Dark Shikari

little birdies say that it IS so.
It is apparently supposed to affect the incoming (to the comcast network) only...for now anyway.

Don't know any more details as the birdies I listen to didn't have anymore info than that.

I personally don't care about emule/edonkey or that crap, but I do use bit torrent some and would be pissed about that.

peace

Dark Shikari

Reston, VA
reply to Dark Shikari

Well I tested eMule at a LAN party not long back and it worked flawlessly.

This of course was with a different ISP and different router.

Dark Shikari

Reston, VA
reply to Dark Shikari

alfnoid

I use mainly bittorrent also, but there are good uses for eMule. It seems to be the best network for getting very rare files that one can't possibly find on bittorrent or newsgroups. For example, there are all sorts of remixes of songs that would probably take ages to find using google that are right there with emule.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to alfnoid

It would have to be within the last month, or two. I was downloading with BitTornado on a Comcast connection, and got full download speed. In June.
--
Norman

gd16

Portland, OR

this just started happening to me in Portland a few days ago. When I kick BitTornado into super-seeder mode I can maintain connections. The work around is to use encryption via Azareus or uTorrent. But that doesnt help if the people you are connecting to are not running encryption.

gd16

Portland, OR

and bit torrent works just fine when i am downloading AND uploading. However, when I complete and am only seeding. The connections drop right off to zero.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by gd16:

and bit torrent works just fine when i am downloading AND uploading. However, when I complete and am only seeding. The connections drop right off to zero.
Variable nature of the tracker. In the last week I was downloading episodes of an anime show. On a couple of episodes I got very good D/L speeds, on the order of 224KBytes/sec (3008/512 DSL). On others I got lousy downloads. On some episodes there were only a handful of seeders, leechers, or both. At least one episode saw my upload drop to zero after I completed the file, but while I was still in seed mode. When I checked, there were no leechers at all in the torrent.

I once had a show that took five days to download! Very low activity, and I hit 98% complete when the number of seeders went dry.

When I was connected to that Comcast connection, I never saw max download on any anime torrents; I got the max download pulling a Knoppix LiveCD ISO image.

Indeed, after upgrading to AT&T Yahoo! HSI Pro (3008/512), I have yet to max my D/L. If it is "throttling", though, they aren't doing very well. Hard to think that there is throttling when I can get 224KBytes/sec on a good torrent. I suspect that there just aren't enough well populated seeds for the niche genre shows I am fetching.

»torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/http:/···i-kl.de/
--
Norman

gd16

Portland, OR

I see what you are saying in this post...obviously you think I have an extremely low intelligence level.

My peers drop to zero the second I complete. And while the tracker shows 50-60 leechers.... my client sees none. They appear for a brief second until comcast's software sends the disconnect.

I understand how trackers and bittorents work. I am telling you Comcast is doing this now. Perhaps not to you or your service error. But this is really happening to me.

gd16

Portland, OR

I meant service area.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to gd16

said by gd16:

...obviously you think I have an extremely low intelligence level.
Can't be any lower than mine.

However, I still have to wonder. What is the point of killing the completed download? The worst impact of upload is saturating the bandwidth, and that is happening during the download, as well as after.

Unless, maybe it isn't bandwidth they are trying to limit, but upload volume? They are willing to let you download, but they don't want you going over a TerraByte of uploaded data? Something like that.

IOW, I can see them capping down/up performance; other cablecos do that routinely. I don't understand letting the torrent run unimpeded until it is complete, then killing it altogether.
--
Norman