spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Sensibull
@comcast.net

Sensibull

Anon

[Connectivity] Intermittent connection problems

I would greatly appreciate a little help diagnosing my situation. Just recently (last week or so) I have been getting intermittent delays between opening a browser and connecting and/or clicking a link and getting a response. I have several machines running in my house (see below for more details) and all are displaying the same behavior. When the connection is fine, I get very good speeds (using closest speakeasy server [NY] I'm getting 4673 kbps down and 360 kbps up) and everything works fine. When it doesn't, my browser (using both IE and Firefox) gets hung up for anywhere from a few seconds to 10 minutes. Same thing with email. Problems occur at any time of day, seemingly at random.

OK, some details:

Modem: D-Link DCM-202. (Power, Cable, and Status solid green. Ethernet flashing.)
Router: D-Link DI-524, firmware: 1.11 (connected to 3 machines and 1 switch)
Switch: SMCGS5 Gigabit switch (connected to 2 machines)

Other notes: 1 box running Win2k. 1 Mac (OS X). 3 boxes running XP Pro. Cable line split once near inlet (TV / cable) and again on TV lines. First split installed by Comcast. Second by me.

Any help much appreciated...

steelhead78
Premium Member
join:2005-08-23
Carrolltown, PA

steelhead78

Premium Member

Have you ever tried running with a direct connection from the modem to one of your PC's?

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr to Sensibull

Premium Member

to Sensibull
i have been getting a very similar problem here in chicago area. Turned out to be packet loss.

do a 100 count pint to google or dslreports.com using

ping www.google.com -n 100

and see if you are getting any packet loss. i was getting upwards to 10%.
rembetis
join:2002-07-31
Richmond, CA

rembetis

thanks for the replies guys.

Snipper... I just did the ping test. Thanks for the suggestion but I only got 1% loss. I'll try it a couple more times, though, because as I said the problem is very intermittent.