GemSnake
Premium
join:2000-10-19
3rd layer
reply to Derch

Re: Let's play the number game!`

said by Derch:

"fewer than 19,000 customers"

Which means in normal non-corporate terms, millions.
Wrong! Only those who used the webstore are affected. Definitely not millions.
--
"In a fight between you and the world, bet on the world." - Franz Kafka

guitarzan
Premium
join:2004-05-04
Skytop, PA
One would tend to think, the NSA/ATT would have tighter security measures in place, in addition to a superb perimeter defense. Which would look as if its a virtual impenetrable fortress

And the Gov. wants backdoors built into all modems and routers? Not hard to imagine the resulting mayhem and chaos, that nightmare will "open up". Which would = technology, take three steps backwards. Hackers take three steps forward.

It appears the hackers have the edge, because they can hack whatever best shot is thrown at them. I'm not a hacker fan or supporter by posting this: Its rather obvious the smartest people are not in or running for office, nor are they employed at large corporations.
--
Bass....the glue of rhythm and harmony...the heartbeat of the band.! Shaking the earth with deep,sonorous vibrations.The dark ominous thunder of an approching storm.

Fatal Vector

join:2005-11-26

Ummm...It's CRACKERS, not hackers. There's a distinction in meanings between the words and the glib use of the word hacker all the time shows how brainwashed even the computer "elite" is by the media and government.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
said by Fatal Vector:

Ummm...It's CRACKERS, not hackers. There's a distinction in meanings between the words and the glib use of the word hacker all the time shows how brainwashed even the computer "elite" is by the media and government.
That's an old debate but who cares what they are "called".. they broke into the system.. some say they "hacked" into the network and some say cracked. In the end, circa 19k users credit card information is gone and probably on the black market in Russia already with all the rest of the data from the U.S. that gets "stolen"...

Companies like AT&T should know better. Seems these stories pop up about once a week any more.

Where is congress to crack down on some real issues that threaten our people, the ones they are supposed to represent, on a daily basis? Oh, I know.. they are more worried about who can marry who, if the flag can be burned, and all the other 'social' feel good issues that don't matter one bit.

I wonder if these people know what it's like to have to spend several yeras of your financial life getting it back in order after your personal info is stolen. The loss of use of credit or good credit. Having to pay cash for everything. Having to fend off abusive debt collectors for bills that aren't even yours. (Let's not being into account how debt collectors also like to screw with your financial data too - another conversation sometime) and if these people know what it's like to have to pay twice for your home than others, all becuase they didn't apply laws where they are most needed; to protect people's stability - which effects the economy in the end.

Yea... two guys can't marry, I feel so much better, I mean, we're a better nation because of it. But millions of people's finacial stability are destroyed all the time. I LOVE the government.

Let's review..

AT&T
AOL
SPRINT
CITI
Federal Government
Stat of Minnesota (BIG OFFENDER)
US Bank..

the list goes on... all companies that have had personal inforamtion leaked or stolen. I would be less shocked if it was ma and pop companies loosing information. My companies seem to be able to hold data secure, why can't AT&T?
--
"Wipe out the national deficit over night... Tax the stupid!" - about 50 gMail invites available. PM if you'd like one.

guitarzan
Premium
join:2004-05-04
Skytop, PA
reply to Fatal Vector
You're right Fatal, sorry about the loose glib use of improper terminology.

LRB

@saccounty.net
reply to guitarzan
I always thought the Drums were the heartbeat of a band, everyone in the band relies on them to keep rythym, timing etc..