RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2

2 edits

1 recommendation

Curiously...

...this story was posted by a known Comcast employee.

We had a little discussion in the ATT-Midwest forum about this yesterday. Nobody seemed to be overly concerned especially since they (ATT) detected the intrusion, shut down the affected server(s) immediately, are notifying all affected customers and are paying for credit monitoring to minimize the damage.

Show me another instance where a company actually was proactive about such a system intrusion? Some banks don't even respond that well.

I know it's almost impossible for many here to utter even one good word about any incumbent, but this time AT&T did the right thing.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Look Doc, if I don't like Ma Bell/telcos I'll complain, regardless of what does or doesn't happen. End of story.

SQiRL
Premium
join:2004-04-21
Wylie, TX

Do you still do FTS for AT&T? or did you move on already>?
Just curious.
--
Eventus stultorum magister
Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Aleck79

join:2003-07-23
College Station, TX
reply to Maxo

Re: NSA?

Looks that they didn't get any help from the NSA on super secret ways to secure their networks.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
reply to SQiRL

Re: Curiously...

said by SQiRL:

Just curious.
I moved to Tallahassee a little over a year ago. I've been unemployed since, but am looking at doing tech support for the state starting next week. Apparently nobody wants to hire a programmer-wannabe with no experience.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter
»www.cafepress.com/maxolasersquad
»maxolasersquad.com/
»maxolasersquad.com/network/ My DSL Network Guide
»myspace.com/mlsquad

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
reply to SQiRL

said by SQiRL:

Just curious.
Actually I jumped SBCs shipped right before they bought AT&T Wireless. Soon after SBC purchased ATT telco I moved to Tallahassee.
--
»maxolasersquad.com/
»myspace.com/mlsquad

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to RadioDoc

said by RadioDoc:

I'm confused by this comment. Are you being implicative, and if so, of what? The fact that Comcast still exclusively -- and only -- peers with AT&T? Or the fact that AT&T Broadband is now part-of Comcast?

*confused look*
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.

Fatal Vector

join:2005-11-26

"The fact that Comcast still exclusively -- and only -- peers with AT&T? Or the fact that AT&T Broadband is now part-of Comcast?"

Isn't thaqt nice? When you're getting ripped off by comcast it's doublessly because they have to pay Ma Bell a high price, just like the so called "alternative" phone companies.

But then, who cares as long as you get your comcastic 6 megs, right?

Seems the Ma Bell hydra has many tenticles.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL
reply to Aleck79

Re: NSA?

This is because they agreed to that FCC backdoor on all ISP networks.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to RadioDoc

Re: Curiously...

So? I post stories on cocmast too.. what's the point?

If a at&t fanboy sent the story, would it have made the issue any different?

The reason it was posted, as being a former identity theft victom because of mis-handled information, I sent the story. Karl thought it was worth releasing and did.

Many of these people shut these down right away.. that's not disputed.. it's what they do after the fact to ensure it doesn't happen again.

If Comcast did it, I would be just as pissed and have posted the article if I fond it.

But, do you have any valid reason for ensuring everyone knows WHO posted the story? and does it matter? Not everything is political.
--
"Wipe out the national deficit over night... Tax the stupid!" - about 50 gMail invites available. PM if you'd like one.

cbiggers

join:2000-08-10
San Luis Obispo, CA
reply to RadioDoc

said by RadioDoc:

If you don't have that "news source" on ignore, you don't know what you're missing.

phattieg

join:2001-04-29
Winter Park, FL
reply to RadioDoc

said by RadioDoc:

Awww, so you think he's bashing another company huh? Well, as already pointed out, Comcast hasn't had any intrusions into their network, so please make a point, or explain it to me so I can clearly understand. I also understand the person in question was a victim of identity theft at one time. If a group of people have their info stolen from a DSL orders site, then it's a good idea to inform a community where there are internet users, just incase AT&T "misses" another important piece of info. If they (AT&T) are paying for identity protection and monitoring services, it is costing them $$$ x 19,000+. And what if someone DOES have their info stolen? Then it's even more trouble for the poor person who thought they were getting DSL, not a new credit card bill.

I guess what I'm trying to say is WHO CARES who posted it. It is TRUTH, it hurts some, others find comfort in it. I'd rather know a company had a problem, and where. Knowing this only affected web orders comforts ME because I would never order DSL on a website.
--
SIPPhone/Gizmo # 17476200648 / PIMPNET Chatline / Ran by Asterisk & Slackware 10.1.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
reply to RadioDoc

It's true that it being posted by a Comcast employee does not meen this is definitely a case of bias. It's also not the crutch of his argument, which is that people are often quick to complain about companies even in a situation (such as this) where the company did it's best to at handling a bad situation.
--
»maxolasersquad.com/
»myspace.com/mlsquad