Search similar:

uniqs
organicdonut
join:2006-08-30
Haverford, PA

organicdonut

Phonom DVC and P2P

Hi,

Anyone out there using Phonom having trouble with the DVC locking up? I notice that when I'm running uTorrent, the DVC (Innomedia SOHO) will just hang. The first five lights go solid and internet connection and phone are gone. This doesn't happen with regular Internet usage.

Are there issues with using Phonom and a P2P application? Any work arounds?

hsindogg
Premium Member
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD

hsindogg

Premium Member

What DSL modem are you using? I don't even use the DVC anymore and plug my VoIP line directly into the Paradyne ADSL2+ modem (little black DSL modem that looks like it could break any second).

Never had a problem with P2P's this way, but I also never had a problem with the DVC when I used it (more than a year ago though).
organicdonut
join:2006-08-30
Haverford, PA

organicdonut

It's a Paradyne, but I'll have to check the model number. It is also a little black box.

Do I need to use DSL filters, if I plug the phone directly?
organicdonut

organicdonut

It's a Paradyne ADSL2+/R Bridge Router. I tried plugging the phone directly to the Paradyne and connected the network cable directly from the DSL modem to the computer, but it doesn't work.

Still getting the intermittent DVC lock up and freeze. The lights on the DSL modem show it's functioning properly, but the lights on the DVC sometimes go solid, or they blink rapidly.

Is it a sign that the DVC is failing, or is uTorrent overwhelming the DVC?

Just curious, should I mention to Cavalier that this problem happens when I'm using a P2P program? Would they frown upon that?
breakYOstuff
join:2001-02-24
Charlottesville, VA

breakYOstuff

I probably wouldn't mention P2P to CavTel...typically when they hear that they will say they won't support that stuff.

Here's a thought: I don't know anything about uTorrent, but does it require any specific ports to be open? Perhaps you need to go into the DVC's config and make sure the right ports are open, or if you have a router in the mix, make sure the ports are open on that.

Another thing you could test is a different P2P program, just to see if the same thing happens.

Regards,
wilbs

Swingerhead
Premium Member
join:2004-04-06
Richmond, VA

Swingerhead

Premium Member

I think that theres something on the DVC that does prioritize the bandwidth. I dont think you can change it but that might be part of the issue.
TheDeuce7
join:2000-09-28
Richmond, VA

TheDeuce7

There is a way to prioritize voice packets on the DVC. I would suggest running the DVC behind a router and giving torrent packets a low priority.