Search similar:

uniqs
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

Where did it come from?

US or foriegn site?

Plus, using real order and CC numbers makes this fish VERY hard to spot.

Very good job on the scammer's part.

HonestEnd
join:2006-03-01
Sterling Heights, MI

HonestEnd

I agree, using real order and CC numbers would definently make it hard to spot the fish. I wouldn't be surprised if many people fell into their trap. Good move for the scammers, sad that it had to happen though.
bogey7806
join:2004-03-19
Here

bogey7806

Real pros. They moved fast realizing AT&T would catch it soon. Probably took preventative measures to keep from being traced. We'll probably never catch them.

They really need to make this type of thing a severe felony where you're guaranteed a life of had prison life.

T1 Rocky
join:2002-11-15
Dallas, TX

T1 Rocky to moonpuppy

to moonpuppy

SSL

When we signed up for dsl, they wanted my social security number which I refused to give to the salemans suprise. They took my account anyway and said someone would call back to confirm some security info but never did. I'm glad I didn't give it up now.

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

Combat Chuck to moonpuppy

Premium Member

to moonpuppy

Re: Where did it come from?

said by moonpuppy:

Plus, using real order and CC numbers makes this fish VERY hard to spot.
Only if your not looking for the first thing you should be looking for, emails asking for personal information.

pa_grape
Premium Member
join:2006-07-24
Columbus, OH

pa_grape to bogey7806

Premium Member

to bogey7806
I completely agree! Lets take the scammers out of society for good. If and when they are ever caught, lock them up for good. Otherwise they will just get out and commit another scam.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

1 edit

Transmaster to HonestEnd

to HonestEnd

Interesting contrast

Do you notice something. The recent boners pulled by the VA were shouted from the mountain tops as examples of the incompetence of the present administration, The "news" services rolled out the usual talking heads to pontificate on the whichness of why but when a civilian company like AT&T, or one of their out sourced flunkies looses this kind of personal information it is treated as just a news story. Even though in the case of the AT&T story there was an attempt to use the information in a phishing scam.

The stolen VA laptop which carried the Veteran's personal data was all encrypted and once it was recovered the FBI determined none of data was accessed. This doesn't excuse the VA, The worker had permission to work from his home, but had I been that person I would have insisted the VA install a safe in my house to keep this laptop, and any other sensitive information in or I wouldn't have taken the laptop out out the VA office where I worked.

I have worked with Medical records for 30 odd years and anytime I hear of such personal data getting out into the jungle. it really bothers me because the vast majority of us take exquisite care of the data we process.
Jonbo298
join:2004-01-12
Council Bluffs, IA

Jonbo298 to T1 Rocky

to T1 Rocky

Re: SSL

God forbid a company wants to verify its you signing up for service and not someone using your name to do it.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to bogey7806

Premium Member

to bogey7806

Re: Where did it come from?

Yup... let's bring those Russians to the U.S. and charge them with a felony.

If you look at the histroy of many of these hacks/cracks (hope the P.C. police on both sides are happy) come from other countries... alot of them are in Russia.
fiberguy2

1 edit

fiberguy2 to Jonbo298

Premium Member

to Jonbo298

Re: SSL

God forbid that customers understand the law and their rights as in not having to give up their social security number.

Learn of what you speak before you try to slam someone else.

Let me give you a quick lesson/example. It's AGAINST THE LAW for cable, in CA, to even ASK for the SSN.

You have every legal right to withhold your SSN number in, my guess, 95% of the people who ask for it - EVEN LOANS! Your SSN is and always was intended to administer your Social Security Account.. period.. not your phone company, not your cable, gas, electric, car loans, credit cards, and every other yahoo that wants it.

God forbid is right. That's what your state issued ID is for.
stufried
Premium Member
join:2003-10-13

stufried

Premium Member

The problem is that the SSN is already too compromised to do any good. Until 2001, these numbers were sold in commercial database files. Those files still around on many investigative databases.

State IDs are not standardized. We need to create a public id for people with some sort of rotating verification key (not just a PIN). Here is a simple (but not perfect idea).

When I put a fraud alert on my file, I could not get new credit without them calling me, but that only last 90 days. I am in the process of drafting a request to make it permenant, but this is deliberately made too difficult to get. I would like to put the additional requirement that I have to be called on my mobile phone before credit is granted.

I'd then like that mobile number and mail number in a hardened file that requires something like a letter to be sent to my previous address of record with a code that has to be punched in somewhere before it could be changed.

Our current system is too compromised. We need to invest in something more secure and we need to move it out several generations (rather than in minor increments).
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

I agree... however, to put it simple, there needs to be a dynamic checks system on creidt reporting and Congress needs to pass hard core legislation on restricting the use of the SSN.

It's NOT a nation ID number and needs to quit being used like one.

If anyone wants a point AGAINST a nation ID, look at the blown-out SSN fiasco we are faced with today and how THAT number was abused.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by fiberguy2:

If anyone wants a point AGAINST a nation ID, look at the blown-out SSN fiasco we are faced with today and how THAT number was abused.
We already have a national ID system......it's called a Passport.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

If we "already had a national ID system" then there would be no debate in congress on needing a "national ID card" now would there?

Do you have any idea how many people in the U.S. actually HAVE a passport? You know, that document that lets you travel outside the country?
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

1 edit

moonpuppy (banned)

said by fiberguy2:

If we "already had a national ID system" then there would be no debate in congress on needing a "national ID card" now would there?

Do you have any idea how many people in the U.S. actually HAVE a passport? You know, that document that lets you travel outside the country?
While the passport is mostly used for travel outside the country, it is more than that. When you fill out an I-9 form, it is better than an ID card (driver's license) and SS card or birth certificate.

BTW, over 10 million were issued in 2005. Passports are good for 10 years (5 if you are under 18.)

EDIT: and Congress is debating this because they need something to crow about, another pork project and a vote to keep their jobs for the next election.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

A passport is better than a driver's license, SS or birth cirt? No they aren't. Who told you that garbage? PLESAE tell me where on the form is says "passport desired"... all forms of ID are just as acceptable as the next.

10 million? What's the total population of the country? now figure out the percentage.

No.. a passport is not a nation ID card. And SOME members of congress want debate because they want more control over the people of the states.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by fiberguy2:

A passport is better than a driver's license, SS or birth cirt? No they aren't. Who told you that garbage? PLESAE tell me where on the form is says "passport desired"... all forms of ID are just as acceptable as the next.
Look at an I-9 form. A passport does the job of a driver's license and birth certificate when determining eligibility to work in this country. Just because you have a driver's license, doesn't mean you can work in this country.

»www.uscis.gov/graphics/f ··· /i-9.htm
said by fiberguy2:

10 million? What's the total population of the country? now figure out the percentage.
Because this country puts so much stake in the state ID's, most people, including you, don't see a need for a passport. Beginning 1/1/2008, you need a passport to go to Mexico or Canada (right next door.)
said by fiberguy2:

No.. a passport is not a nation ID card. And SOME members of congress want debate because they want more control over the people of the states.
I can show it to a police officer and he has all the information he needs to run a check on me. My Maryland license doesn't even have my SS# on it. All he needs is my name and date of birth and he can find my DL number if he needs it.

The ONLY 2 things a driver's license does over a passport (within the country) is allow you to drive and establish an address. The latter is not even that reliable in many cases.

A system is already in place, time to use it.