share rss forum feed

Shamayim
I already have a Messiah.
Premium
join:2002-09-23

1 edit

1 recommendation

Encrypt! encrypt! encrypt!

I'll repeat this comment again and again until I'm blue in the face or it happens, whichever comes first....

Legislation needs to be enacted requiring customer info databases to be encrypted. So that when they are stolen they are useless to the thieves. FELONY penalties for any hacked company that failed to encrypt.
--
"tick...tick...tick..."
»www.jtf.org/

djtim21
It's all good
Premium
join:2003-12-22
Lake Villa, IL

said by Shamayim:

I'll repeat this comment again and again until I'm blue in the face or it happens, whichever comes first....

Legislation needs to be enacted requiring customer info databases to be encrypted. So that when they are stolen they are useless to the thieves. FELONY penalties for any hacked company that failed to encrypt.
I believe that the intruders had access to the database, they didn't get a "copy" of it. I am just going by the original story from earlier this week. Encryption would have nothing to do with this, since they already got past the front door.

Of course I'm assuming allot here, but this sounds like a keylogger, break and take. The "scammers" just grabbed a bunch of info and put it to work as soon as they started getting info.

This also sounds like they had a plan in place before they grabbed the info. This was a smart robbery, not just your "Ohh...I've got some information who do I sell it to".
--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” - Edmund Burke