join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

pnh102 to jhh

Premium Member

to jhh

Re: That's the Price of Living In the Middle of Nowhere

said by jhh:

In north dakota you have communities under 500 with fiber or at least 1 meg dsl. It all comes down your local governments ability to keep the qwests out of the area and staying with a cooperative.
Well, if fiber and broadband is that important to someone, then they should move to where such services are provided.

Articles like these remind me of people who move to small towns because they like the quaintness and other silly things. These people then start whining when they do have to drive 20 miles to the grocery store, 10 miles to get gas, 30 miles to the bank, etc. It is not the fault of these companies that said people chose to live so far away from civilization.
bdsdc
join:2003-12-05
Allen, TX

bdsdc

Well said. I used to be in that boat, living in a small town because we thought it would be a great place to grow up, when all it did was make other life more enviable and ours frustrating.

Farmboy
@wildblue.net

1 recommendation

Farmboy to pnh102

Anon

to pnh102
Why don't we all just moved to uburbia so we can have broadband. It's not like we need people in rural areas to produce the one thing none of us can live without. I once knew a schoolteacher who had this mentality, " Why don't these people just move to town and do like everybody else, buy their food at the grocery store." One smart school teacher there.
Farming has become so much more technical than in the past and broadband is becomung more needed than many have a clue.
Sgtslaughtr
join:2005-08-29
Knox, IN

1 recommendation

Sgtslaughtr to pnh102

to pnh102
Typical city dweller, you think the world revolves around you. I live in the boonies and I get 768/5000 DSL. The only problem is what a previous poster said about local governments.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo to pnh102

to pnh102
You are pretty uninformed about why people live in small towns. Little known fact, people can't AFFORD to live in cities, or jobs are better in smaller areas.

Being a small area does not mean you should or could not have same services as a city. I live in a small town of 4k people and have super fast internet access, everything a big city goes i have.

You sound like one of the guys who say "Dude, just get broadband" to everyone who complains of high pings...

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84 to Sgtslaughtr

to Sgtslaughtr
said by Sgtslaughtr:

I live in the boonies and I get 768/5000 DSL.
I guess in the boonies ISPs give you tons of upload but screw you on the download.

Stefania
Jezu Chryste, Kubi
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Chicago, IL

2 edits

Stefania to Farmboy

Premium Member

to Farmboy
Your perception is flawed. Farming is a business, and just like businesses in "the big city", they need to research business services. Nobody said a hardline isn't available there, they said consumer broadband isn't.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to Sgtslaughtr

Premium Member

to Sgtslaughtr
said by Sgtslaughtr:

Typical city dweller, you think the world revolves around you. I live in the boonies and I get 768/5000 DSL.
LOL... you've never been to Mount Airy. As for you getting broadband, so what? You have what most people in the USA can already get. Now, had you moved to your current residence without checking for broadband availability first and you found yourself without broadband, whose fault would that be?
pnh102

pnh102 to markopoleo

Premium Member

to markopoleo
said by markopoleo:

Being a small area does not mean you should or could not have same services as a city. I live in a small town of 4k people and have super fast internet access, everything a big city goes i have.
Man, you totally missed my point. Where did I say that small towns didn't deserve broadband?

It is a well known fact that broadband in rural areas is a crapshoot. Some small towns have it but many don't. If you are in a position to choose where you plan to live and you want broadband, but don't choose a place which has it, then that's no one else's fault but your own.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo

You said it in everyone of your posts, just not in those exact words.

You could of summed up everyone of your posts by just saying what your thinking "they dont deserve broadband".

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by markopoleo:

You said it in everyone of your posts, just not in those exact words.

You could of summed up everyone of your posts by just saying what your thinking "they dont deserve broadband".
LOL... then I think you need to re-learn how to read. Nowhere did I say anyone did not deserve broadband.

What I have been saying in other posts is that if you want broadband and you are in the position in which you can choose where you want to live, and you don't pick a place that has broadband available, then it is your own fault for not getting broadband.

heathcpe
join:2002-03-19
Brandon, MS

heathcpe to Stefania

to Stefania
What about Wildblue or Hughsnet??? It's better than dialup.

yourmama
@usawide.net

yourmama to pnh102

Anon

to pnh102
I live about 10 miles outside of Nacogdoches. And it is with great joy that I continue to suffer the pain of dial-up service, with no hope of dsl, in order NOT to live any where near a self-serving, north-eastern elitist like you.