uniqs

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Blimpband?

This sounds like a good place to test/deploy the much talked about but un-fulfilled promise of putting cellular and internet on a tethered or otherwise stationary blimp at 20,000 ft (or higher).
53059959 (banned)
Temp banned from BBR more then anyone
join:2002-10-02
PwnZone

53059959 (banned)

agreed. satellites are costly and the technology has been eclipsed a few years after its launch.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster

I will say it again

What is need is a government program similar to the Rural Electrification program of the 30's, 40's and early 50's. The debate back in the 30's about bring electricity to the farm and ranch was very much like the debate today about rural broadband. If in the country you are stuck, then you are flat out of luck.
stevephl
join:2000-11-27
Colorado Springs, CO

1 recommendation

stevephl

What is not needed is another government program, another tax on other people to support a few. The free market/economics will solve the problem. These people can still go online that is the bottom line.

Steve in Colorado

roamer1
sticking it out at you
join:2001-03-24
Atlanta, GA

roamer1 to Transmaster

to Transmaster
said by Transmaster:

What is need is a government program similar to the Rural Electrification program of the 30's, 40's and early 50's.
The REA is still more or less around in the form of the RUS, and loans and other funding are there for those who want to take it. Unfortunately, there are all sorts of conditions attached to RUS money that run some companies away.

The bigger problem, of course, is companies that simply don't care about rural areas. In general, as jhh noted earlier, areas served by small mom-and-pop or co-op phone companies don't have the issues with poor broadband availability that those served by larger phone companies, and the Baby Bells in particular, do. (Oddly, for the most part, the reverse is true for cable -- most large MSOs have HSI across their footprint except in extremely isolated or rural areas, while quite a few rural mom-and-pop cable companies are still running one-way plant that only goes up to 300 or 350 MHz.)

-SC

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

2 edits

Transmaster to stevephl

to stevephl
said by stevephl:

What is not needed is another government program, another tax on other people to support a few. The free market/economics will solve the problem. These people can still go online that is the bottom line.

Steve in Colorado
Yes they can go online with, if they are lucky, a 24k connection on a internet that now designed to run on much higher speeds. It is a choice people have to make for now. As for market forces fixing the problem, yes it might in about 20+ years. It is going to take seed money like the recent posting about the very small town of 458 in population getting a grant to install fiber. In the meantime the big boys are clustering around the big city's like flies gathering on fresh cow poop. In Wyoming We know all about bull shi'a the big Telco's have been trying to feed it to us for years. What is needed is a modern version of the barbwire network, let's see barbed fiber yes that should do it . back in the 1890's there where phone systems that ran on barbwire fences.

I personally have loaded up miles long sections of barbwire along highways here with my HF rigs. Running 160 meters on 8 to 10 miles of unbroken fencing along a highway makes for a very interesting night of RF rag-chewing.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim

Re: Blimpband?

IMO whats needed is a law that forbids the incumbents from suing towns who want to run muni fiber. if the telco says its not profitable then it should be illegal for them to sue the town when the town does their own. unless the telco deploys FTTH of their own before the town does.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

Michieru2

Premium Member

Agreed.