spc
Search similar:

uniqs
meandmyarrow
join:2001-12-11
Waterford, CT

meandmyarrow

Monthly download caps changed?

Are the monthly caps any different than they were? Refresh our memory - what are they for the various plans?

Thanks.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog

Premium Member

We used to have hard caps but we longer no longer have them. We we still warn people who abuse the system and DL multi hundreds of GB's pre month.

Inversely you really have to abuse the system to get a call from me, I can count on one hand how many people I've called this year.

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491 to meandmyarrow

to meandmyarrow
With the new movie download sites like iTunes a user could hit a cap with out even being a pirate.
rkrenicki
join:2002-04-10
Quaker Hill, CT

rkrenicki to meandmyarrow

to meandmyarrow
Caps arent really about piracy, its about an undue burden on the network.

But even then, as Odog said, you have to seriously try to abuse the system...

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

nelamvr6 to meandmyarrow

Premium Member

to meandmyarrow
I listen to Internet radio constantly, what kind of burden does that place on the network? The station I listen to has 192kbps mp3 streams.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to meandmyarrow

to meandmyarrow
I under stand you don't care about what we are downloading just how much. And up until legal movie stores came online it would be hard for anyone to download 100's of gigs with out a lot of illegal video being downloaded.

I mean how many Linux distros would one need in a month.

On the other hand I reinstall Windows for friends and coworkers whose teenagers have hosed their computers and I bet it is about gig of updates to bring a pre service pack 2 XP box up to date.

By the way I was just in some newsgroups and I was getting a little over 6200k down very nice indeed.

skyjock41
Shag Diesel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
Patrick Afb, FL

skyjock41 to meandmyarrow

Premium Member

to meandmyarrow
Caps concern me. I dont want to sound cocky but i roll dirty on the net, and if there is caps then i might be another person odog has to call. But i dont even come close to 100 gig a month. Id say on avg about 60gig a month. Xbox games, xbox 360 games, movies, music......i test it all.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to meandmyarrow

to meandmyarrow
Skyjock I know you are checking us out and in case it is not clear ultatryon and Odog are the two top techs that keep the Internet flowing to us.

As far as caps goes if ultatryon says there are none I have to go with that. And while you might infer from odog that there is an invisible cap as I do you would have to be down loading a full length movie every day to get a call. Even then it is a call they are still small enough to have a personal touch they are not going to just kill your modem with out warning.

I am sure your usage is like mine and you will never have a worry.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog to skyjock41

Premium Member

to skyjock41
said by skyjock41:

Caps concern me. I dont want to sound cocky but i roll dirty on the net, and if there is caps then i might be another person odog has to call. But i dont even come close to 100 gig a month. Id say on avg about 60gig a month. Xbox games, xbox 360 games, movies, music......i test it all.
No need to worry with that kind of usage.... were talking multi hundreds of gigs per month to get "a call".
rkrenicki
join:2002-04-10
Quaker Hill, CT

rkrenicki to skyjock41

to skyjock41
Skyjock41: Sounds like you would get a call about what you download, before how much you download. DMCA violations are quite serious, and I believe every ISP in the US has some sort of reprocussions from a DMCA complaint.

Billh: I didnt say that there arent any, but you really have to TRY to get a call, to get a call. But there is no hard cap, where the minute you cross it, you get throttled or bricked. That much I can say.