spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Rybo Flavin
join:2005-10-15
South Bend, IN

Rybo Flavin

DCT-3416 HDCP firmware upgrade?

I purchased the Panasonic SA-XR57 audio receiver because it allows direct HDMI input and output to my HDMI Panasonic CT30WX54 television. The problem is that it is detecting the Comcast DCT-3416 as a non-compliant HDCP device and not allowing the picture through. Apparently some people have received a firmware update for the DCT-3416 to resolve this issue, but I haven't found anyone who can tell me how to get the firmware.

The Motorola DCT-3416 works perfectly when connected directly to the CT30WX54 television, but my HDMI equipped TV was manufactured before HDCP chips were installed in HDTV's.

Has anyone else had any HDCP compliancy trouble when using the HDMI output on the DCT-3416?...and if so, how did you get a firmware to resolve it?

imrf
Premium Member
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI

imrf

Premium Member

said by Rybo Flavin:

The Motorola DCT-3416 works perfectly when connected directly to the CT30WX54 television, but my HDMI equipped TV was manufactured before HDCP chips were installed in HDTV's.
What do you mean by this? Does the DVR work fine with the HDMI cable and the tv? Every tv that I've seen that has HDMI uses HDCP, DVI was about the only input that varied.

According to this, »www.abtelectronics.com/s ··· id=15876, that tv does support HDCP.

The real issue here is manufacturers not following the HDMI specs completely. Almost every receiver out there that has HDMI inputs almost never work with any HDMI equipped set top box.
Rybo Flavin
South Bend, IN

Rybo Flavin

I was mistaken, my television does support HDCP. However, when trying to use the audio receiver as an intermediary repeater the connection will not work.

I have read of rumblings that there may be a way to disable HDCP in the DCT-3416 firmware or to upgrade the firmware, but I was trying to find out if anyone has actually accomplished this yet.

imrf
Premium Member
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI

imrf

Premium Member

said by Rybo Flavin:

I have read of rumblings that there may be a way to disable HDCP in the DCT-3416 firmware or to upgrade the firmware, but I was trying to find out if anyone has actually accomplished this yet.
No, the HDCP protection can't be disabled by the end user, and Motorola has never released a firmware with it disabled.
scanpa
Premium Member
join:2006-09-06
Lebanon, PA

scanpa to Rybo Flavin

Premium Member

to Rybo Flavin
You need to connect the STB to your Amp / Audio RCVR. via digital Toss link or coax cables. Your current STB Firmware does not allow daisy chaining of HDMI products.

This was fixed in F/W 12.31 and up. However not every Cable head-end uses the newest F/W due to compatibility issues.

Only the head-end can send out F/W updates.
Rybo Flavin
South Bend, IN

Rybo Flavin

Thanks for your post scanpa. Do you think the compatability issues in question will ever be resolved so they can finally push out a firmware to resolve the daisy chain issue.
scanpa
Premium Member
Lebanon, PA

scanpa

Premium Member

Almost all HDMI problems with the STB were resolved with F/W 12.31, 12.33, 12.35. So Yes. Just not all headends can use these newer F/W yet do to software issues.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

What firmware are we using in the Reading system? My 6412 has 9.19 on it. Is that the latest? There's still a bug where you have black video but you can playback a recording to fix it. No big deal, j/w.

Also I hope they never roll out the I-Guide updates that disable 30-sec skip. That would be the total opposite of 'Comcastic'.
scanpa
Premium Member
Lebanon, PA

scanpa

Premium Member

at the reading headend they have F/W 9.19 & 12.31 in use.

For the DCT-64xxp1 & DCT-64xxp2 F/W 9.19 & 9.21 are the final ones in the 9 series.

For the DCT-64xxp3 & both the DCT-34xxp1 & newer DCT-34xxp2 F/W 12.31, 12.33, and 12.35 are the latest.

The 30 sec. skip feature is a firmware option. It is set to off by default when the new firmware arrives at the headend. When the headend sets all of the options up, they sometimes forget to tick the 30 sec skip box. There are no comcast rules sent out to disable this feature, that I have seen for plants / headends that use the /\/\otorola Platform w/ IGUIDE IPG software.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream

MVM

said by scanpa:

The 30 sec. skip feature is a firmware option. It is set to off by default when the new firmware arrives at the headend. When the headend sets all of the options up, they sometimes forget to tick the 30 sec skip box. There are no comcast rules sent out to disable this feature, that I have seen for plants / headends that use the /\/\otorola Platform w/ IGUIDE IPG software.
I don't know how much of an influence you have in setting up the firmware options, but if you could communicate the importance of the 30 sec skip and ensure its still alive and well even after the I-Guide updates (if we happen to get them) that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you scanpa, you have been quite helpful, glad to see you joined the forums.
gebe6
join:2004-12-09
Minersville, PA

gebe6 to Rybo Flavin

to Rybo Flavin
i am 30 miles away from Reading PA.. and my 3412's have 12.22 tried to call about it but they have no idea what i am talking about..
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

bgoodbody to scanpa

to scanpa
12.35for the 3412?

Orleans, MA or Mashpee, MA serve here and its on;ly 12.31?