spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DerEngel
join:2006-01-02
San Diego, CA

DerEngel

Don't judge a book by its cover.

The purpose of this book is not to teach people how to steal service, and if you read it, you would understand that. This book is an intermediate guide to hacking embedded devices (not specifically cable modems). For example, an entire chapter is dedicated to explaining how to find and exploit a device using buffer overflows. This technique is not shadowed by a simple “you can download the source of concept code here”, but is fully explained in text with diagrams.

Also, more than 50% of the content in the book is explaining how embedded devices work and the rest is step-by-step tutorials on how to use that information to exploit cable modems. And lots of “hacks” I developed were kept secret specifically for this book. For example, did you know that when “Motorola” patched a firmware to fix one of the uncapping exploits, they also added in a backdoor for themselves that you can use to gain complete control of the cable modem?

I bet MSOs won’t be happy when they find that out.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool

Premium Member

DerEngel
Grabbed this entire book VIA pdf last night. Great read. Useless as the most recent modems have no "hardware or software hacks released"

( aside from the freaking surfs.. Motorola cant get crap right. DVR's, Modems.. whatever)