pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Core 2 Duo E6600 temps?

I've got my E6600 going, and loving it. I'm a bit concerned about the temperatures, though.

I've got it overclocked to 3GHz and it's very stable. I'm using a cheap water cooled kit (Coolmaster M80).

It's running 46-47 C idle, and gets up to 52-53 when under full load of both cores.

I'm fairly sure the heat sink on the water kit is properly installed, though it may not be fully flush because of soldering tips on the bottom of the motherboard preventing a flush clamp of the bottom mounting bracket. I'm using arctic silver 5 and applied about a BB size to the center.

The reason these temps seem a bit high is with my P4 3.0 Prescott I was idling about 39-41C and under load it'd be about 50-52.

So, should I look for a high quality air cooling HSF to replace this water kit? Since 52-53 is still pretty well below 60 I'm not overly worried, but it just seems odd that it'd idle hotter than the prescott CPU.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Out of curiosity, what thermal compound are you using?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Arctic Silver 5...

salterbomb
join:2003-10-18
Pearland, TX

salterbomb

you said it idled hotter than a prescott but was that prescott overclocked by 600mhz?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

It's the same temperature when running at 2.4. At least for a few minutes idle from the BIOS HW monitoring.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
I thought the core 2s would be significantly cooler, how can they produce more watts in heat? Oh well, I guess at the same clock maybe...

fegul
Premium Member
join:2004-08-23
united state

fegul to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
I have those same temps, with that same proc. Mine runs a little warmer I think though; »Core 2 Duo Heat issues

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to pflog

to pflog
FWIW, "idle" temps shown in BIOS seem notably warmer than an idle reading taken while running windows. Has something to do with some "idle process" that windows runs I heard. In BIOS, my E6700 at stock 2.666Ghz speed runs about 43C, but when I get into windows, it drops under 35C, sometimes even under 30C. 45C is the hottest it ever gets in windows, even under 100%, so I'm guessing the BIOS actually loads the CPU pretty heavily somehow. Either that, or the mobo montitor that shipped with the mobo reads 10C too low.

av8ndv8
Premium Member
join:2003-05-19
Albuquerque, NM

av8ndv8 to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
Yeah, I was amazed at the heat one can generate, they aren't nearly as cool as we were lead to believe.

Tcore max is 85*C so if you're in the low 50's, be happy. My 6400 running about 50% O/C'd hits 64* under dual loads but I'm running stock cooling. It runs in the high 40s 95% of the time.

Carbon Unit
MVM
join:2001-07-21
Saint Charles, MO

Carbon Unit to pflog

MVM

to pflog
Mine runs about 40c idle and about 55c under load
with speedstep about 32c

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

With what cooling? And is yours an E6600? At what speed?

Loose Wire
Here, Hold My Beer And Watch This
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Denver, CO

Loose Wire to av8ndv8

Premium Member

to av8ndv8
said by av8ndv8:

Yeah, I was amazed at the heat one can generate, they aren't nearly as cool as we were lead to believe.
Intel Lied, CPU's Died!
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
Click for full size
Not sure but mine runs a lot cooler @ 3.105GHz. I'd look at getting a better heatsink/fan and get some more air flow through your case.

fegul
Premium Member
united state

fegul

Premium Member

I'm not sure if thats the only issue though.

I have an Antec P180 case which according to Intel is a thermally advantaged chassis. I've done some cable management and moved all major cables out of the way of the airflow. I've also tried using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

My temps have not ever gone below 45C idle. However, I honestly believe that my temps are being misreported. One of the applications I've used reported temps 3-4 C lower than some of the others, so I do believe something is going on.

I've stayed on top of BIOS updates and so far there havent been any that have fixed my issues. According to Intel, I am the 3rd case that has reported this issue as of last week

av8ndv8
Premium Member
Albuquerque, NM

av8ndv8 to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
The only temps I pay much attention to are the core temps measured by Intel Thermal Analysis Tool: »www.hardware.fr/marc/TAT.exe

or Core Temp: »www.thecoolest.zerobrain ··· hp?t=137
Shootist
Premium Member
Decatur, GA

Shootist to fegul

Premium Member

to fegul
Well my system is in a Antec P160W with Antec TPII 550 PSU, Scythe Infinity with the stock 120mm fan that comes with it, rear case fan with speed knob mounted in the front of the case (Speed set to the lowest setting) and a second 120mm fan (actually the one that came in the case as thee rear fan) mounted to the HDD cage blowing in on the memory and chipset heatsink. That fan is connected to the FAN ONLY connector from the PSU.
NOTE:
I do have the side of the case off but even with it installed the temps are 3-4 degrees higher and in the low 50's under full load.
I find the newer PSU's do not move enough air, Yeah they are quiet but they make the system hotter. With the side of the case on and the rear case fan spinning at full speed it draws air in through the PSU and slows the fan speed of the PSU. I have tested this by holding a lite cigarette at the back of the PSU and the smoke goes into the PSU. The Antec TPII 550 fan spins at 795-811 and all you feel out the back is some warm air with no force. If I had to do it over I would of gotten a Smart Power 2 with the 2 fans. Now that PSU moves some air. I would hate to see what the temps of my system would be with only the PSU fan moving air through the case.
Shootist

Shootist to fegul

Premium Member

to fegul
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Have you lapped the CPU? There are some that have rounded edges to the heat spreader that make the heatsink sit above the center of the CPU.
First pic is with some program that reads the CORE temp of the CPU and the Asus monitor with 2 CPU Burn in running.
Second is my CPU after about a 2 weeks of having the heatsink connected to it, see the marks on the outside of the heat spreader. There are similar marks on the heatsink. Third is with it lapped slightly, see how the nickle is gone on the outside of the heat spreader. And forth is the final lap job, copper exposed in the center and on the edges but nickle still left at spots.

fegul
Premium Member
united state

fegul

Premium Member

I have not lapped the CPU, does it void the warranty?

I'm also a college student so time (and money) is a premium. I'd rather have a CPU overheat while its under warranty and have Intel replace it rather than void the warranty and mess it up accidentally. Once it leaves the warranty I might do something, but by then I'll probably be building a new system anyways
Shootist
Premium Member
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

Yes it sure does. But for me I really didn't care. I was under the impression that you could push these CPU's to the max and to date I can't get my system over 345. It might be the RAM but other that are using the same brand and type are hitting 400+ with no problem, although that is with the E6400 2.1x model CPU. And even at 345 I can't run Prime or Orthos for more then 3-5 second without it halting. Funny part is if I just stress the CPU it will run forever. But once I try to do the Blend test it fails. I have gotten new RAM from Newegg and it seems to be worse with the new, actually it's the same brand and type (Corsair XMS DDR2 5400C4). Maybe with 6400 RAM it might work but I'm not going to buy more RAM just to find out it wasn't the RAM.
I really can't put my finger on the problem but even Memtest86+ fails at any bus speed over 330.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
Time for a *good* heatsink, looks like, boys. How come so few of you look at thermalrights nowadays? Their new SI-128 is beefy as all get out, and their latest HR is as good as any other and takes a fan now.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Not bad, only $50? And you think it'd do better than a cheap liquid cooling solution like what I've got now?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Who's to say? But maybe. I am not sure which is the better performer, the HR model or the newer SI-128. The 128 uses new, fatter heat pipes and is a little more massive than the SI-120. When choosing between them I would consider which way you want air to flow. I happen to like how my XP-120 blows a ton of air all over the power transistors, RAM, and NB.

If you get one, get the Panaflo fan that frozen CPU sells that has the tachometer lead on it. Only place I know of that even sells a panaflo with a tacho.

All I know is with my Athy, temps went down, oh, 13-14 degrees right after installing, they have gone back up a tad since, but that has to be due to dust and the thermal compound needing a redo. I plan on using some liquid metal thermal compound soon to test it, it is supposed to never need changing out.

I am guessing that the HR model might cool better, but you sacrifice the down-draft cooling bonus of the SI model.

Here are some reviews:

»www.overclockers.com/art ··· les1329/
»www.overclockers.com/art ··· les1340/

Unfortunately, they didn't use the same CPUs for those tests, I really can't understand why reviewers dont the proper steps of consistent controls and variables, it is retarded of them!

Two more reviews:

»www.pcper.com/article.ph ··· ?aid=268
»www.neoseeker.com/Articl ··· tra_120/
»www.xtremesystems.org/fo ··· t=100417

HTH

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Yeah the reviews on newegg look promising as well. Unfortunately they're out of stock but I added myself to the notification list. I'm ok with the 47/53 temps for now I think, as long as I'm not approaching 60.

psitool
Beware ManBearPig
Premium Member
join:2002-11-28
Albany, Ga

psitool to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
Wow that's high, especially on water.

I built my E6600 rig over the weekend. I'm running 3600 with a Thermalright Ultra-120 and my temps are 33/45 on air.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
I am anxious to see some more properly done SI-128 tests/ratings. I still prefer having the fan parallel with the motherboard plane than vertical to it, because of the cooling effect on the other components, but if the ultra-120 cools significantly better, I might go with it on my next build, but that won't happen until spring... I think thermalright might have improved on their design of the 128 by having 2 heat pipes going on either side rather than all on one side, that way the fins are loaded more evenly end to end.

I wonder if they might ever come out with a HS with a Ag base...
Shootist
Premium Member
Decatur, GA

Shootist to psitool

Premium Member

to psitool
said by psitool:

I built my E6600 rig over the weekend. I'm running 3600 with a Thermalright Ultra-120 and my temps are 33/45 on air.
What board and RAM are you using for that "?3600?", I take that you really meant 360 FSB speed not 3.6GHz CPU speed.
I'd really like to know the make and model of board and the make and type of RAM you are using. I can't get my E6600 over 345 with any real stability no matter what the voltages are set to.

psitool
Beware ManBearPig
Premium Member
join:2002-11-28
Albany, Ga

psitool

Premium Member

said by Shootist:
said by psitool:

What board and RAM are you using for that "?3600?", I take that you really meant 360 FSB speed not 3.6GHz CPU speed.
I'd really like to know the make and model of board and the make and type of RAM you are using. I can't get my E6600 over 345 with any real stability no matter what the voltages are set to.
400x9 = 3.6ghz
Asus P5W DH (1405 bios)
E6600 (Week 28)
Teamgroup DDR2 667 (this ram can do 1000+)
Shootist
Premium Member
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

Thanks. I really like to know if it's my CPU, RAM or board that is holding me back. Board is a P5B Dlx Ram is Corsair XMS 5400C4. No matter what the timings are on the RAM or the voltages across all parts I can't get above the 345 mark. And forget running Prime even at the 345 point.

av8ndv8
Premium Member
Albuquerque, NM

av8ndv8 to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
Shootist, you using two pieces of XMS? Try one at a time to see if you've got a bad stick. That doesn't sound right for that memory. I can get 450 fsb out of cheap Patriot 5400 RAM running 4-4-4-12 at 1.8v. IIRC, your mem likes 2.2v or so.
av8ndv8

1 edit

av8ndv8 to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
double post...