uniqs
share rss forum feed

richardpor
Fur it up

join:2003-04-19
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

The critics got it

These side agreements are the very reason why I feel local franchising agreements needs to go. The Wall Street Journal had documented how exorbitant the side deals can get like paying for landscaping on city property or fiber optic networks for all traffic signals. Of course there is the obligatory public assess channels. If this were the mafia, franchising agreements will be called racketeering.

Another problem with franchising is channels availability. Franchising decide what channels one will have. For example, Bravo is on extended cable in Tacoma but only on the digital tier here in Hillsboro / Beaverton. In addition, I called Customer support about my bill. I remarked I couldn’t get Anime Channels and Selects VOD selections. The customer rep told me his story that the selection are available in Spokane but are blocked because franchising agreements.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2
said by richardpor:

Another problem with franchising is channels availability. Franchising decide what channels one will have. For example, Bravo is on extended cable in Tacoma but only on the digital tier here in Hillsboro / Beaverton. In addition, I called Customer support about my bill. I remarked I couldn’t get Anime Channels and Selects VOD selections. The customer rep told me his story that the selection are available in Spokane but are blocked because franchising agreements.
Franchising has no control over the extended basic tier, only the broadcast basic tier. Franchise agreements are specifically banned by federal law from placing any controls on any tier above broadcast basic.
Content providers and the cable companies control the extended basic tier (i.e. the contract agreements with the channels themselves are the main factor).

The CSR gave you a line of BS.
--
ISCABBS - the oldest and largest BBS on the Internet
telnet://whip.isca.uiowa.edu
Professional Geographer
Geographic Information Science researcher