Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98

Re: VML issues

Hmm...I didn't have to add the Zert site to trusted sites to see the colored boxes after I applied the MS patch.

I think re-registering mshtml is supposed to put that IE6 value back in the registry. mshtml.dll is rather critical over all...you do not want problems with it.

I asked about this in the MS IE security NG but that is a slow moving NG and I haven't gotten a response. Maybe I will just re-register mshtml ...don't see what harm it would do.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I didn't have to put the Zert site into the Trusted zone either to see the red boxes after applying the MS patch. Maybe that has to do with the settings in the Internet zone.

I pm'd someone very knowledgeable about Windows regarding this thread. He said we don't have to re-register mshtml since it was never unregistered. He also said without that value (IE=6) IE "may" have a problem with some pages, and if that's a concern to manually add that value. Since I'm not sure on how to add that value in, at this point I've decided to wait and see if there's a problem. What's everyone else's thought on this?

Sincerely, Libra
Just Bob
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

I would agree with your expert. Since the IE version is contained in the "Internet Explorer" key it's likely that the only thing that would be affected would vml images, but MS must have had a reason to add that value under the "Vector Version" key as well.

If your isp is using a "branded" version of IE (AOL, MSN, etc.) the issue is more clouded. It isn't clear to me if this affects the "User Agent" value reported to web servers.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
It's edit/new string value. I just added it. Hope I didn't screw anything up.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thanks Mele. I did similar, but I right-clicked on Version Vector and selected New>string value and added it. Then I double clicked on IE and added 6.0000.

If you ever wanted to try IE6sp1 on your 98 computer (provided you can find the full install) it would be important to go to add/remove and remove IE 5.5 first, going back to what came with the computer (I think IE5). This way, if you didn't like IE6, you could revert back to the original IE and reinstall IE 5.5 again. I just wanted to point that out.

Just Bob, thank you for alerting us to the missing value as a result of the VML workaround.

Sincerely, Libra