share rss forum feed

David
hours are m-th 1130-10p central
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:96

So I guess they didn't really prove

that the internet was the source of thier problem. Good going MPAA, what a way to not prove your arguement!!

Fountainhead
Premium
join:2003-10-25
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

It's 38% of the problem..

So what is your point?
--
It's all part of my rock and roll fantasy

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by Fountainhead:

So what is your point?
You beat me to that point. The internet piracy is still to the tune $7.8 billion.

David
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to Fountainhead

said by Fountainhead:

So what is your point?
They proved that 62% of the problem was not on the internet.

FiL
Premium
join:2005-08-16
Silver Spring, MD

i hear what Beach is saying; why go after the smaller outfits head on, with all that tenacity?

The AA's sue dead people. Grandmas. While Joe Publics on the street making a killin' off of 12cent blank dvd and cd burns.

Im skeptical on the number of jobs being lost due to the piraters. One lost job in the "industry" means another new employee for the pirates! See, it evens out.

Plus, 170,000 minumum wage jobs is NOT what the country needs at this point.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

said by FiL:

The movie industry has numerous high paid UNION jobs. And any loss of jobs there aren't minimum wage ones.
--
--
Join Red Room Forum
BLOG tkjunkmail.blogspot.com
My Web Page

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Portage La Prairie, MB
reply to Fountainhead

This is for anybody that buys into so called "studies" funded by self-interest groups...

Psst... want to buy the Brooklyn bridge? good deal!

RayW
Premium
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

The movie industry has numerous high paid UNION jobs. And any loss of jobs there aren't minimum wage ones.
Wonder how many of those listed jobs were actually lost to automation and new technology? If the indications that my wife saw 15 years ago are still true, a lot of job losses in that industry are not piracy, but no longer needing the people. And with the animation affects that are getting such that it is hard to tell real people from animations, even more are lost (Shrek caused a big stink in that respect, and I heard that they had to dumb the art down to keep the unions from exploding).
--
I am not lost, I find myself every time.

kamm

join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by FiL:

ROFLAMO - one more funny comment.

FYI: most of the film industry is based on freelancers. Rest of the workers are the showroom dummies to fool "naive" folks like you.

qdemn7
Smurf in My Loop
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Fort Worth, TX

4 recommendations

reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by FiL:

Quite true, but then Hollywood itself is it's own worst enemy.

If HOLLYWOOD as an industry was really concerned about American jobs then they wouldn't be making so many production in Canada, the UK and Australia not to mention Eastern Europe.

When they start making all of their films in the US, I'll listen to what they say.
--
“Teaching music is not in accordance with the Islamic establishment, and teaching music to schoolchildren brings corruption.” Ayatollah Ali Khamenei Supreme Leader of Iran

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
League City, TX
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by FiL:

When your at the job who do they cut first the low paid shit workers and then they outsource the job out to india, the big ceos and high paid jobs are kept because they have skills

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to qdemn7

Unions still strong in Hollywood

»findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m···92808160

Roughly 70 percent of the estimated 800,000 entertainment workers in Los Angeles County--a catchall category that includes everyone from actors and professional dancers to prop handlers and electricians--are members of trade unions, according to AFL-CIO's Center for Regional Employment Strategies.

--
--
Join Red Room Forum
My Web Page

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
reply to mazhurg

Re: So I guess they didn't really prove

"This is for anybody that buys into so called "studies" funded by self-interest groups..."
Such as, unfortunately, that other group in D.C., aka Congress.

MeKuN

join:2004-07-21
Eugene, OR
reply to David

And yet the movie industry feels the need to pump out remade movies and then blame it on piracy. I know a pirates of the carribean made big money, it was worth seeing. How come they dont see a pattern of you make a good movie people will go see it, instead of make crap try and trick people to see it and when attendance drops blame it on piracy.
Take a college course, pull your head out of your ass 101.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to RayW

said by RayW:

Wonder how many of those listed jobs were actually lost to automation and new technology?
Bingo. Their job estimate is likely as well cooked as their piracy damages estimate. Even if piracy were to stop tomorrow and their "predicted" surge of happened, there wouldn't be a 140,000 job increase, if any at all.

Cry me another one MPAA.

kamm

Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to FFH

Re: Unions still strong in Hollywood

said by FFH:

»findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m···92808160
Roughly 70 percent of the estimated 800,000 entertainment workers in Los Angeles County--a catchall category that includes everyone from actors and professional dancers to prop handlers and electricians--are members of trade unions, according to AFL-CIO's Center for Regional Employment Strategies.
ROFLMAO - do you even read your own links? there you go, you have just said it:

estimated 800,000 entertainment workers in Los Angeles County--a catchall category that includes everyone from actors and professional dancers to prop handlers and electricians--
A shining example of the "creative arts" of bookeeping, accounting....

"Lies, damn lies and statistics."

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

1 recommendation

said by kamm:

I would say that 70% counts as most people. Not really sure what figures you are going by.......
--
!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to David

The Internet, eh?

In the last eight years I have purchased, maybe, two dozen MPAA DVDs (at least half of them either Buena Vista releases of Studio Ghibli films, or Pioneer releases of some of the lesser anime studios in Japan), and a dozen RIAA music CDs.

Not that I am a piker, nor that I have downloaded their product. If I don't think it is worth buying, I certainly am not going get the pirated version. Junk is still just junk, even if it is grabbed from a pirate site.

I am not a slouch on spending though. In the same period of time I have probably purchased a hundred, or so, DVDs. Mostly foreign stuff (including a was of Studio Ghibli films on Region 2 DVDs). Same with the music CDs. In the latter case, I am willing to pay 2x U.S. CD prices for the music; the Japanese recording studios can't be spending more on production than the U.S. studios, do you think? But they sure stick it to the Japanese consumer!

The point being, the U.S. media purveyors won't offer product that I will pay for. There aren't enough of us for them to bother with. If they can't sell a million a month, they won't package it, and sell it.

If they really want my money, why don't they offer me something I will pay for?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

markopoleo

join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO
reply to FiL

So the loss is in the USA, while it created a 170k street vendors jobs. I don't see the problem :P

David
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

said by markopoleo:

So the loss is in the USA, while it created a 170k street vendors jobs. I don't see the problem :P
Damn, you thought the same thing I did!

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to MysticGogeta

said by MysticGogeta:

said by FFH:

said by FiL:

When your at the job who do they cut first the low paid shit workers and then they outsource the job out to india, the big ceos and high paid jobs are kept because they have skills
higher pay doesnt mean they have any skills. a Plumber is more skilled then any CEO(a CEO probally has to call for help to plug in the coffee maker like other rich people) but gets paid "shit".
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

fldiver
Premium
join:1999-12-27
Jacksonville, FL
reply to qdemn7

LOL; and who knows how many items are outsourced to countries like India??

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
League City, TX
reply to Kearnstd

A plumber makes alot of money quite actually your metaphor is quite off. If I owned a plumbing company, and I had alot of jobs to do I would hire a few more plumber assistants to help me out, so lets say Joe does not work as hard as Smith and is not as skilled as him. Jobs slow down and I need to fire someone because of it I would fire Joe. This is the same idea just on a much larger scale.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Fountainhead

said by Fountainhead:

So what is your point?
That the MPAA and you are full of sh** is probably the point.

This newest study, funded by the MPAA
That says it all to me.

iotastorm

join:2006-01-24
Florissant, MO
reply to David

...and 70% of those jobs will be OUTSOURCED

kamm

Brooklyn, NY
reply to wifi4milez

Re: Unions still strong in Hollywood

said by wifi4milez:

said by kamm:

I would say that 70% counts as most people. Not really sure what figures you are going by.......
Ummm for example "entertainment workers" which counts everybody within 150 miles radius of studio?

wev567

join:2006-02-25
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to FFH

Members of many of these unions work maybe a half a dozen days a year. The majority of SAG mambers can barely afford to pay for the discounted health care plans it offers. Entertainment unions are like the steelworkers.

David
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to FiL

said by FiL:

i hear what Beach is saying; why go after the smaller outfits head on, with all that tenacity?

The AA's sue dead people. Grandmas. While Joe Publics on the street making a killin' off of 12cent blank dvd and cd burns.

Im skeptical on the number of jobs being lost due to the piraters. One lost job in the "industry" means another new employee for the pirates! See, it evens out.

The other part of the Nice going MPAA way not to prove your arguement, was when the RIAA/MPAA ordered the pirate bay to be shut down earlier this year (illegally in thier country per say) so with this report that's pretty much evidence that they did not have a case to shut them down as they originally thought. Now thepiratebay.org 's staff (after seeing this probably) will hand this to thier attourney for a harrassment suit. After all they proved that 38% of the internet was the problem, and 62% was not the problem. Either way they pretty much hung themselves.

So like I said Good job guys, try not to prove your point next time so the whole world can see how stupid you guys really are!
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by David:

. After all they proved that 38% of the internet was the problem, and 62% was not the problem. Either way they pretty much hung themselves.

So like I said Good job guys, try not to prove your point next time so the whole world can see how stupid you guys really are!
Keep this post in mind when a thief breaks into your house and ONLY steals 38% of your posessions. Don't bother calling the police because 62% was left. So the theft doesn't count, RIGHT??
--
--
Join Red Room Forum
My Web Page

Capharnaum

join:2006-06-19
Montreal, QC

said by FFH:

said by David:

. After all they proved that 38% of the internet was the problem, and 62% was not the problem. Either way they pretty much hung themselves.

Keep this post in mind when a thief breaks into your house and ONLY steals 38% of your posessions. Don't bother calling the police because 62% was left. So the theft doesn't count, RIGHT??
How about: when a thief breaks into your house and then copies only 38% of your possessions. Cause it's not like the movie industry doesn't have their product anymore.